User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by small.wonder View Post
    @OptoGypsy What you are doing sounds pretty awesome, though I do think some of the questions that have been asked are valid. I only have a little experience with what you are talking about, I've volunteered in Youth Ministry for 3 years and done simmilar-ish outreach on serving trips to inner city areas-- mostly sitting across tables from the marginalized, having conversation and sharing stories. In general, it's important to let the Spirit lead (not have too many concrete expectations or try to control the situation) but I do think the best ministries are intentional about planning to some extent. It's great that this program will (it sounds like) be a leg of the Youth Ministry, that gives you guys a jumping off point and people with experience to check in with and get direction from. I think Christ really called all of his followers to be on this kind of mission daily, even with random people we pass on the street, sit next to at school/work, etc. It's a call to actually see people and value them the way God does. I guess my only insight would be to keep that in mind, that we're called to treat everyone that way, not just the druggies and prostitutes (as you put it). We're all hurt, if in different ways.

It sounds like you have a heart for people, that's really cool.

On your advice I do that but it does seem to me that allot of Christians won't speak to prostitution, druggies, drug dealers for selfish reasons such as image, selfishness, fear etc. It's why I'm starting the program because the way I see it God is dead in America in that Christians have pushed him aside and are simply only holding the title of Christian

I have some experience with urban ministry so I'll chime in a little although so far I have very little idea of what you're exactly you're doing which is fine since you're just planning.

The first thing I think you should understand is that people need dignity. The type of relationships that many urban and poverty ministries create do not instill dignity. People need help and support, yes, to get by, but to be fully human people need to support and help. Those relationships won't inculcate dignity unless there is some mutual dependence. This is why along with meal programs, AA, and bible studies the really important work and the real relationships are best built doing community projects together with the people you're serving ideally in a situation where the people serving don't outnumber the people being served.

You may meet people's needs by giving them food or having a conversation with them, but you're not necessarily empowering them to gain dignity.

Quote Originally Posted by OptoGypsy View Post
    On your advice I do that but it does seem to me that allot of Christians won't speak to prostitution, druggies, drug dealers for selfish reasons such as image, selfishness, fear etc. It's why I'm starting the program because the way I see it God is dead in America in that Christians have pushed him aside and are simply only holding the title of Christian

Honestly, I've found mostly the opposite to be the case. Many Christians want to do urban ministry because it's sexy while they ignore more mundane yet much more fundamental duties (like actually getting to know and care about their actual physical neighbors) or do urban ministry in such a way in which they're really not helping anyone, but hey it makes them feel good. Just because somebody isn't hanging out with prostitutes doesn't mean they're not being Christ-like. God knows there's plenty of pain and suffering to address wherever God places someone even if that place is in the middle of the suburbs.

The bizarre thing is that when suburbanites venture out of their own communities it's almost always to help urban poor black people, while rural poor white people are almost completely ignored.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Azure Flame View Post
    its like a youthgroup but for people who are 26-30 years old. just bible study groups etc.
    Hahaha in the Ukrainian culture that age group goes to family study groups to try to escape their five children lol

Hahaha in the Ukrainian culture that age group goes to family study groups to try to escape their five children lol
    Are you in NOrth America or some place else?

Because, my critique above really only applies to America and Canada.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    I have some experience with urban ministry so I'll chime in a little although so far I have very little idea of what you're exactly you're doing which is fine since you're just planning.

The first thing I think you should understand is that people need dignity. The type of relationships that many urban and poverty ministries create do not instill dignity. People need help and support, yes, to get by, but to be fully human people need to support and help. Those relationships won't inculcate dignity unless there is some mutual dependence. This is why along with meal programs, AA, and bible studies the really important work and the real relationships are best built doing community projects together with the people you're serving ideally in a situation where the people serving don't outnumber the people being served.

You may meet people's needs by giving them food or having a conversation with them, but you're not necessarily empowering them to gain dignity.
    I'm going to need to make sure that's in the plan Thank You for your impute I'm going to need to make sure to interact everyone from every wake of life as much as I can as quoted from Socrates "every man is guilty of all the good he didn't do"

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    Are you in NOrth America or some place else?
    Yeah, Ukrainians are one of the hardest groups of people to socialize

Yeah, Ukrainians are one of the hardest groups of people to socialize
    I'm confused. Are you in America, but serving Ukrainians here or are you in Ukraine?

I presumed you were in America because you mentioned the bible-belt above.

Instead of the typical giving out pamphlets, Bibles and telling them about the resurrection. Our goal is to befriend them take them out for beer/coffee or for food talk to them/get to know them and be there for them through exchanging numbers, e-mails, where we can find them etc.
    just a thought: it's better to take a street person out for coffee but not beer because they may be an alcoholic or addict. nothing wrong with alcohol in moderation but not in a street ministry where addiction runs rampant.

Even though I don't believe in the religious aspects of Christianity. I've seen what it has done in peoples lives and I see the potential in what it can do for a person that needs hope and a community.
    Why not give them hope and community instead of a false belief in supernatural supervision?