• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The meaning of life

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Haha, no wasn't telling you anything about your statement. It's just funny how lately you hear stories on the news for women who get butt augmentations.

I was simply voicing my personal statement that although 'large, rrrrrround asses' might be in, they just don't do it for me. I guess Sir Mixalot wouldn't be down with me. lol

Okies. You'll have to excuse me... I'm feeling awfully reactive today.

Wyst

lurking....
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Okies. You'll have to excuse me... I'm feeling awfully reactive today.

lol :hug:

If only you could see me sometimes. I'll respond to someone's post, thinking they're attacking me and totally shoot something mean at 'em, then realize "oh wait... i misread their post... SHIT!!!" and then I'm in lightning-fast-delete mode!

T

ThatGirl

Yeah superficially everyone wants a big ass but when it comes down to it its all pelvic bones and bruises....*sigh* I wish JLo was still cool...

Why does someone need meaning? Because identification is the first step of resolution. I was never good with things like "because I said so"

gokartride

MBTI Type
INFJ
Why do you need a meaning, just live it.
A sense of meaning can provide direction and guidance in making tough choices. It is very, very easy to lose one's way w/o some sort of inner compass...happens all the time. It may be called "meaning" or something else, but having this sense can play a big role in the story arc of one's life.

However, if one is looking for "the" meaning...yes, it's out there, too, but one has to discover this for onesself. As has been said, "Those who know cannot say and those who say do not know." Why all the mystery? Because to grasp this one has to hold on to no less than thirty principles all at the same time and at least half of these are complete paradoxes. The real meaning of life is not simplistic. It is also not a matter of personal design....we become changed by it, not visa versa...one has to leave one's ego at the door.

murkrow

Branded with Satan
MBTI Type
INTJ
the only truth is destruction

the only purpose is desolation

gokartride

MBTI Type
INFJ
the only truth is destruction

the only purpose is desolation
Perhaps in some way....often one must suffer a form of destruction (at least of our assumptions) before we find what is real....to know (truth) by unknowing (our illusions).

In the end, though, you can probably sum up all the writings of mystics throughout time and every tradition with the phrase, "All is well." I think their voice is a trustworthy one.

Fingers Superstar

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
A sense of meaning can provide direction and guidance in making tough choices. It is very, very easy to lose one's way w/o some sort of inner compass...happens all the time. It may be called "meaning" or something else, but having this sense can play a big role in the story arc of one's life.

However, if one is looking for "the" meaning...yes, it's out there, too, but one has to discover this for onesself. As has been said, "Those who know cannot say and those who say do not know." Why all the mystery? Because to grasp this one has to hold on to no less than thirty principles all at the same time and at least half of these are complete paradoxes. The real meaning of life is not simplistic. It is also not a matter of personal design....we become changed by it, not visa versa...one has to leave one's ego at the door.

The advice you give is very new ageie... doesn't really work when your back is against the wall, or when reality bites hard.

Tapping into what you desire, what you read, what you've experienced will give you guidance.

Even bad choices in life will be rewarding, even doing a bad thing will teach you something. But then good and bad is relative.

Holding on to principles will just limit what you can fully experience.

Then at the end you will become the sum of all you are, and meaning will come.

gokartride

MBTI Type
INFJ
The advice you give is very new ageie... doesn't really work when your back is against the wall, or when reality bites hard.
Ah, but that is where it works best!!!!! "The" meaning is everything you'd expect it to be...complex, nuanced, all-encompassing, huge...and shows it's true "stuff" in the worst of times. I have seen this myself....as I said, it is not simplistic. It is shockingly bulletproof, and impressive when you see principles (that may initially seem theoretical) put through the furnace in the most difficult times imaginable.

The only reason I mention it at all is because people in our cynical age don't even believe it exists, and so never even seek it. There is not much I can add to the INFJ discussions...but I can give what little I have.

Fingers Superstar

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Ah, but that is where it works best!!!!! "The" meaning is everything you'd expect it to be...complex, nuanced, all-encompassing, huge...and shows it's true "stuff" in the worst of times. I have seen this myself....as I said, it is not simplistic. It is shockingly bulletproof, and impressive when you see principles (that may initially seem theoretical) put through the furnace in the most difficult times imaginable.

The only reason I mention it at all is because people in our cynical age don't even believe it exists, and so never even seek it. There is not much I can add to the INFJ discussions...but I can give what little I have.

We're in conflict here, that smells like Christian faith, not my tipple at all. We should agree to disagree at this point.

gokartride

MBTI Type
INFJ
We're in conflict here, that smells like Christian faith, not my tipple at all. We should agree to disagree at this point.
I have no problem with agreeing to disagree (which I'm sure we do at some point), but what I'm speaking of is a synthesis of many mystical traditions, not just one. This is one of the reasons I find it so compelling.

Shadowrose

MBTI Type
ENTP
Can't say I ever understood the basic human need to cling to something greater like a flea to a dog's back. What makes you think there's some greater meaning to everything, some greater truth? Some simplistic, complex system around us beyond the real world that dictates what we do and why we do it?

I mean, on some level I understand it.. people are afraid that there might not be anything beyond, that there isn't any divine grace that we must always appeal to.. but it always seems to overshadow the unadulterated glory that exists when you live life because it truly is all you have.

For a random side note, one of the last vestiges of mystics is slowly being broken down, the concepts of Consciousness and the Self, ones I've always considered to be applied to the soul. It seems that the deeper they get into these concepts, the more neuroscientists are finding that they are, essentially, mechanical processes of the mind. There's certainly far more to study, but I find it to be terribly interesting.

Mole

Permabanned
Can't say I ever understood the basic human need to cling to something greater like a flea to a dog's back. What makes you think there's some greater meaning to everything, some greater truth? Some simplistic, complex system around us beyond the real world that dictates what we do and why we do it?

I mean, on some level I understand it.. people are afraid that there might not be anything beyond, that there isn't any divine grace that we must always appeal to.. but it always seems to overshadow the unadulterated glory that exists when you live life because it truly is all you have.

For a random side note, one of the last vestiges of mystics is slowly being broken down, the concepts of Consciousness and the Self, ones I've always considered to be applied to the soul. It seems that the deeper they get into these concepts, the more neuroscientists are finding that they are, essentially, mechanical processes of the mind. There's certainly far more to study, but I find it to be terribly interesting.

This is an interesting post and you sound like an interesting person.

What is interesting about mysticism is that it is independent of the supernatural.

Various religions have their various mysticisms but they all seem to be the same.

And most interestingly each myticism seems to undermine the supernatural claims of their religion.

Shadowrose

MBTI Type
ENTP
This is an interesting post and you sound like an interesting person.

Er, Thanks.

What is interesting about mysticism is that it is independent of the supernatural.

Various religions have their various mysticisms but they all seem to be the same.

And most interestingly each myticism seems to undermine the supernatural claims of their religion.

Not entirely certain what you're trying to get at, here. First, I didn't say anything about Mysticism. Yes, I referred to Mystics but I meant the term in the more general sense of people that believe there is some greater truth in the universe. As far as Mysticism in regards to the supernatural, they.. don't really undermine each other in terms of each religion, I would also point out that mysticism, by its very nature, cannot be independent of the supernatural. I do appreciate religions because they are often internally consistent in their supernatural beliefs.

My point was aimed at the broader group of faithful in the world.

P.S.

Mysticism (Philosophy): The doctrine that the ultimate elements or principles of knowledge or belief are gained by an act or process akin to feeling or faith.

I.e. that one can achieve the supernatural via a given act or process.

gokartride

MBTI Type
INFJ
I think people have come to believe in a greater force/presence through observation, experiences, and the like. This probably was the primivite instinct, and I think it is still present today for the same reason as we study the micro and macro of existence. I don't think it is about control or dictatorships, though...although it can be abused that way by those who do not understand it. It is more about a sense of connection to something beyond our grasp, but yet very present to us in all things.

I will say that the image of the old man in the beard is what many people object to, and rightly so...it was always a caricature and it is sorely outdated. Equally sad is that many people's religious understanding has not evolved much past grade school, and so rejection is based on things they grew past, thinking that was all there was.

But no...belief can also be critical, analytical, sophisticated, enlightened and mature. The trick for me was to befriend some folks like this...suddenly I was able to see the subject in a whole other light.

Mole

Permabanned
Not entirely certain what you're trying to get at, here. First, I didn't say anything about Mysticism. Yes, I referred to Mystics but I meant the term in the more general sense of people that believe there is some greater truth in the universe. As far as Mysticism in regards to the supernatural, they.. don't really undermine each other in terms of each religion, I would also point out that mysticism, by its very nature, cannot be independent of the supernatural. I do appreciate religions because they are often internally consistent in their supernatural beliefs.

P.S.

Mysticism (Philosophy): The doctrine that the ultimate elements or principles of knowledge or belief are gained by an act or process akin to feeling or faith.

I.e. that one can achieve the supernatural via a given act or process.

Sure, but from my perspective the process of mysticism undermines its aim.

It seems to me that mysticism is a process of transcendence.

And this is a dangerous process for anyone to take part in.

And it is particularly dangerous for those who believe in the supernatural. Because the question will naturally occur, what happens when you transcend the supernatural?

Over many different religions, in many different times, mystics have been put to death for asking this question.

Because this is a fundamentally subversive question to ask supernatural religion.

But it seems to me that mysticism is fundamentally subversive.

gokartride

MBTI Type
INFJ
it seems to me that mysticism is fundamentally subversive.
You may be right!!! To some it will seem this way...to others, though, it is an invitation (nothing more or less) because it is a path, given our uniqueness, one must find for themselves.

And it is particularly dangerous for those who believe in the supernatural. Because the question will naturally occur, what happens when you transcend the supernatural?
Logically this would seem the case but from what I can tell it never happens. Why? Because the whole thing is about "connection to", not "attainment of." As one progresses (if we can call it that) in the mystical life what happens is that we see more clearly the object of our quest. We find not that we have "progressed" much at all, but we finally realize the true overwhelming immensity of that which we seek. That's the stunner!! Here words seem pointless...the only response is humility and love and gratitude. We never "attain" we only become connected to a greatness that is "other."

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
The meaning of life is to fulfill our pleasure drives. Just look at how we are put together, we spend all day trying to maximize pleasure and minimize pain, so perhaps that is the meaning of our lives.