User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Have you ever thought of simply wearing a skirt? That might solve your whole existential dilemma and accidentally trick the universe into revealing the meaning of life in the process. I bet you could even keep your chapstick afterward.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

ThatGirl

If I had a nickle for everytime my wearing a skirt tricked people into revealing all kinds of things...... I know where Hoffa is buried due to a pleated mini.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Great responses thus far. :rolli:

I don't think there is a purpose in the way we normally think of "purpose." Purpose normally implies a goal that something was designed for. Example, the purpose of the can opener is to open cans. As far as I can tell, humanity has no designer aside from nature, and even nature has no real intended goal except maybe preservation, though preservation/evolution is more of a byproduct of the natural laws of this universe than anything consciously intended, like the guy who created the can opener.

My opinion is that people feel disconnected from themselves, their people, their world, and ultimately, the entire universe because they don't give themselves time to sit and reflect, always chasing pleasure and avoiding pain, asking "how do I get out of this mess I'm in?" instead of saying "what's really going on here?" Merging with rest of one's surroundings (by connecting to our insides, ironically) makes that existential angst disappear because you start to appreciate the role of that angst.

ThatGirl

I sort of have to dissagree on a couple of points. The first being that if preservation is a goal preservation itself has some sort of meaning. Do you believe that there are completely unneccessay elements of the earth that exsist for no purpose? I do believe that no man is an island. Going on in this direction, there consists a conflict of exsistance through perception. If I am A but viewed as B does A really exsist. Perhaps only within myself. In terms of preservation A dies with me and all that would be left is a shadow of B. Did I ever exist?

I don't think that people have existential crisis because of their refusal to seek answers, quite the opposite actually. Those who run into their physical surroundings and don't seek meaning would probably not be able to define what it is that they are serching for. One must first understand the angst before they search for the answer.

I was recently asked a question that has had me asking everyone around me. Would you rather have acceptance or understanding?

As far as I know I am the only one as of yet to pick understanding. But that is where you exist. If I am not understood then I am not known. If I am never seen then I was never here. So why am I here. Surely it cannot be for myself alone. No man is an island. I think of the levels of self actualization. It seems that you must put in your time to not exist in hope for the chance that one day you will be able to exist beyond pre disposed perception.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    I sort of have to dissagree on a couple of points.
    I'm going to pretend that this whole post was directed at me, even though I'm not sure you intended it that way.

The first being that if preservation is a goal preservation itself has some sort of meaning. Do you believe that there are completely unneccessay elements of the earth that exsist for no purpose? I do believe that no man is an island.
    I think you're talking about the difference between function and purpose. Everything that plays some role in the universe will have a function by default. The question of purpose traditionally speaks to design. If we try to answer the question by looking to function, the question disappears, since your function is whatever you're doing right now.

Going on in this direction, there consists a conflict of exsistance through perception. If I am A but viewed as B does A really exsist. Perhaps only within myself. In terms of preservation A dies with me and all that would be left is a shadow of B. Did I ever exist?
    *shrug*

Not sure what you mean here, sowwy.

I don't think that people have existential crisis because of their refusal to seek answers, quite the opposite actually. Those who run into their physical surroundings and don't seek meaning would probably not be able to define what it is that they are serching for. One must first understand the angst before they search for the answer.
    I wouldn't (and didn't) disagree with this.

I was recently asked a question that has had me asking everyone around me. Would you rather have acceptance or understanding?
    Acceptance of what? Understanding of what?

What is the meaning of life?

I think that this question shows how much mankind really suck.

In my life I have stoped to think in terms of great purpose and pointlessness.
    And I can just say that from this perspective things look very differently.

MBTI
    ENTP

Let's see.. there isn't a meaning to life. If they're apple-bottoms, isn't the whole point to make your ass look big? In regards to purpose, acceptance and understanding.. Purpose is a human generated concept. Your purpose is simply your purpose.. if you need one, just find one. Look around, most people get their purpose assigned by other people.. it's kind of silly. Acceptance isn't really something that's worth desiring, as you'll either have it or you won't. You can't influence people enough to -make- them accept you. As far as understanding.. that is the only reasonable thing to search as it is the only thing we can really develop and expand ourselves. ::nods::

And skirts are awesome.

MBTI
    INTJ

Your purpose in life is to be the person you were meant to be.

This means:

Be yourself. Don't let anybody try to change you. Don't try to be like other people.
    Be the best "you" you can be. Develop your own strenghts and potential. Work with your type - whether it is personality type or body type - not against it.

So be happy with your natural body type. If you are a naturally curvy type, accept this as your body type. You can still work to get your body to reach it's full potential - which may or may not result in a smaller butt. Reaching your body's full potential is more about strenght, flexiblity, endurance and health than what size or shape you end up.

Ilah

ThatGirl

I didn't mistake function and purpose. There may be the can opener to the can but the fact remains that the can needed to be open. There is more then one way to open a can and there is more than one purpose for a person. I have often been told by others the role that I play in their lives. Within this role I do rather well. But this role only utilizes so much of what I am fully capable of. Sometimes we serve a purpose that we are completely oblivious to. So what exists between people, the purpose that I have for you or the purpose within myself. Sometimes it seems that others get the majority vote over such perceptions, which led me to this.

From the world around you would you rather receive from people acceptance or understanding?

If two purposes can not coincide within outside perception one can be judged as either this, or that. It is in understanding that we find a way to express our purpose in a way that can callenge us to push to our full potential. Example: someone that has a big ass may yell out of the back of a car that they have found a cure for the common cold but all anyone will ever see is the loud person with the big ass. Oddley enough no one will ever know if it was the big ass that solved the problem. It is better to make your ass slender by comparrison in order to express world view or will the equilibrium be sent into chaos and distort the view?

By the way this is all hypothetical.....no, really.`

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    Example: someone that has a big ass may yell out of the back of a car that they have found a cure for the common cold but all anyone will ever see is the loud person with the big ass.
    I saw this person yesterday morning...
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness