The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Quote Originally Posted by SpankyMcFly View Post
    I understand these feelings you are conveying well. May I suggest checking out this website? Recovering From Religion It's really a good site with plenty of outlets and paths one can take to find support. I'd also suggest simply looking around the interwebs for atheist/secular friendly websites (I found Raising Atheist Children In A World Full Of Gods. - Atheist Parents: Parenting Without Belief to be useful, when I became a parent) that fall in line with your interests. There are usually subsections to these that can point you to useful resources.

I once had a wife (wifey #1 , 7 years) who went from apatheist to Evangelical Christian and like most converts was quite zealous in the new identity that she was internalizing. I even bought a book on the subject to try to understand matters The Transformed Self: The Psychology of Religious Conversion (Emotions, Personality, and Psychotherapy): Chana Ullman: 9780306431340: Amazon.com: Books This conversion greatly exacerbated our relationship problems and was a part of the reason for our divorce in the end. Fortunately no kids were involved.

That said, being familiar with the nature of conversion, whichever direction, has tempered how I speak with people, lest I be the cause of this potential turmoil. I ask myself, now that I know what deconversion/conversion does to a person and the people they love & know, the isolation, the ostracization etc. not to mention the potential for depression and existential crisis, am I willing to do this to someone? If so, why? It's a whole little process for me really with exceptions and loopholes, i.e. someone proselytizing, how "far" to go, etc. On the other end, I wholeheartedly agree with The Four Horsemen (New Atheism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), with Hitchens being my fav It's quite the tightrope and conflicting for me, but a necessary process imo, due to the implications in both directions, inaction vs. action.

Be well @Magic Qwan
    Thank you, and I agree that I have to decide when to speak and when not to. The people who mock me and push me down are so set in their ways, though, that there is little hope that saying something to them will help. I appreciate the links.
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan

There may not be any difference between an atheist and a theist if we are to believe the philosophers who tell us that the defining feature of a person is becoming.

And if we recognise that we become what we worship, we can see that this applies to both atheist and theist.

If the theists become what they worship, then they know they are becoming like the deity they worship. A good example of this is, The Imitation of Christ, by Thomas à Kempis, written in the 15th century.

If atheists become what they worship, they have to ask themselves a question so far unknown to them: what do I worship. Do I worship family, tribe or nation, do I worship an ideology, do I worship a cult, do I worship power, do I worship money, do worship status, do I worship celebrity, do I worship a guru. Do I worship science. Do I worship sex. Do I worship drugs or alcohol. Do I worship myself?

So it is both vitally important for atheists and theists to recognise what they worship so they will know what they are becoming.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    There may not be any difference between an atheist and a theist if we are to believe the philosophers who tell us that the defining feature of a person is becoming.

And if we recognise that we become what we worship, we can see that this applies to both atheist and theist.

If the theists become what they worship, then they know they are becoming like the deity they worship. A good example of this is, The Imitation of Christ, by Thomas à Kempis, written in the 15th century.

If atheists become what they worship, they have to ask themselves a question so far unknown to them: what do I worship. Do I worship family, tribe or nation, do I worship an ideology, do I worship a cult, do I worship power, do I worship money, do worship status, do I worship celebrity, do I worship a guru. Do I worship science. Do I worship sex. Do I worship drugs or alcohol. Do I worship myself?

So it is both vitally important for atheists and theists to recognise what they worship so they will know what they are becoming.
    I worship nothing at all, though I revere nature and its power. Even as mankind shapes it, we are subject to its will. If we raise global tempuratures, the ice caps will melt, and our farmlands will become desert. The great quest for knowledge, science, may someday find a solution.
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
    I worship nothing at all, though I revere nature and its power. Even as mankind shapes it, we are subject to its will. If we raise global tempuratures, the ice caps will melt, and our farmlands will become desert. The great quest for knowledge, science, may someday find a solution.
    Allow me say that perhaps you worship nature. You are a nature worshipper. And as we become what we worship, what are you becoming?

So what kind of natue do you worship?

Do you worship the power of nature? Do you worship a non-teleological nature, a nature without direction or consciousness? Or do you worship a conscious nature? Do you worshop Gaia? Do you worship a co-operative nature? Or do you worship a competitive nature? Do you worship a nature red in tooth and claw? Or do you worship a fecund nature? Do you worshop mamallian nature or marsupial nature? Do you worship the nature of the past or of the future?

The answer to these questions will tell you what you are becoming.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Allow me say that perhaps you worship nature. You are a nature worshipper. And as we become what we worship, what are you becoming?

So what kind of natue do you worship?

Do you worship the power of nature? Do you worship a non-teleological nature, a nature without direction or consciousness? Or do you worship a conscious nature? Do you worshop Gaia? Do you worship a co-operative nature? Or do you worship a competitive nature? Do you worship a nature red in tooth and claw? Or do you worship a fecund nature? Do you worshop mamallian nature or marsupial nature? Do you worship the nature of the past or of the future?

The answer to these questions will tell you what you are becoming.
    I see the ecology of this planet as fragile, and in order to continue to make technological progress, we must maintain a balance between the resources we take from nature, and what we allow nature to replenish. This may involve scaling back in the short term, but the great minds of the world may someday find a way to efficiently maintain technological growth.

Balance, Mole, Balance is key.
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

-Magic Qwan