User Tag List

First 678910 Last

Thread: Christianity

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Everyone needs something to believe in so as not to self-destruct.

Everyone needs something to believe in so as to be able to keep on moving.

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Jesus taught that the last shall be first and the first shall be last. This message is rejected by the largest economy in the world, with the largest miltary by far, with enough nuclear missles to destroy the world, with an ethos of self promotion.

Remember Jesus taught the first shall be last in the Kingdom of God.
    mooole, my man.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Some posts moved to the OT thread in the graveyard.

Quote Originally Posted by yeghor View Post
    Everyone needs something to believe in so as to be able to keep on moving.
    Another way of putting it is meaning depends on context.

As children we take our context for granted, but as we grow up we start to be curious about our given context.

The process of growing up can be stunted by being forbidden to explore context, such as being forbidden to question a sacred text.

Or the process of growing up can be stunted by context remaining invisible, such as media, like manuscript, print, TV, theatre, or movies, remaining invisible and so taken for granted.

So we can say that growing up means stepping outside the taken for granted whether it is sacred texts or media.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Yes. I'm willing to bet most everyone who has died of cancer has prayed for a miracle. I certainly prayed for one, as did everyone in my family, when my sister was sick. She died anyway. I'm sorry, but I just can't get on board for prayer being like a Christmas list, where if you're on the nice list you get what you ask for but if you don't get what you asked for you must be on the naughty list.
    Concur. From Matthew 26:

39Going a little farther, he fell with his face to the ground and prayed, “My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will.”
    40Then he returned to his disciples and found them sleeping. “Couldn’t you men keep watch with me for one hour?” he asked Peter. 41“Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.”
    42He went away a second time and prayed, “My Father, if it is not possible for this cup to be taken away unless I drink it, may your will be done.”

...and I think we all know what happened next.
    "Love never needs time. But friendship always needs time. More and more and more time, up to long past midnight." -- The Crime of Captain Gahagan

Please comment on my johari / nohari pages.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Another way of putting it is meaning depends on context.

As children we take our context for granted, but as we grow up we start to be curious about our given context.

The process of growing up can be stunted by being forbidden to explore context, such as being forbidden to question a sacred text.

Or the process of growing up can be stunted by context remaining invisible, such as media, like manuscript, print, TV, theatre, or movies, remaining invisible and so taken for granted.

So we can say that growing up means stepping outside the taken for granted whether it is sacred texts or media.
    There's room for both, each in its proper time.

Jesus said "Truly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child shall not enter it.”

But St. Paul said, "When I was a child, I used to speak like a child, think like a child, reason like a child; when I became a man, I did away with childish things."
    "Love never needs time. But friendship always needs time. More and more and more time, up to long past midnight." -- The Crime of Captain Gahagan

Please comment on my johari / nohari pages.

Quote Originally Posted by OptoGypsy View Post
    Hi I'm seriously trying to consider the existence of God but it just doesn't seem plausible. What evidence do we have outside of the Bible or any Religious text that a God exists? How did you rationalize the existence of God? Is the only argument you have that a God exists is the leap of faith, is faith your only trump card?
    NONE
    Masculine presenting transgender lesbian

At heart, I’ll always be a bleeding heart liberal.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Conduit View Post
    NONE
    Right. For that matter, what evidence do we have INSIDE of the Bible or any Religious text that a God exists? NONE. This will never be solved. That's why it's called faith. Some people have it, some people don't- and I'm not convinced that we have much choice in the matter of whether we have it or not.