• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Christianity

Mole

Permabanned
Christianity teaches that Adam and Eve committed Original Sin and in order to save us God the Father sent his Son, Jesus, as a scapegoat for Original Sin.

This is hard to believe as we now know there was no Adam and Eve and so no Original Sin and so no need for a scapegoat.

yeghor

Is christianity something like a football team that you favor because it wins most of the time and it is popular to favor that team?

Zangetshumody

MBTI Type
INTJ
The bible says the written word is dead: you will not find salvation in the scriptures; only when those words come to life by the one true gospel then will you understand.

If you read the bible to be factually inaccurate, then I propose you search for a gospel who understands the scripture in a way that is in line with your understanding of what is factually true; or what you are prepared to consider to be factually true... I concede that if you are not prepared to ever believe that there lived a man known as Jesus Christ, then that will pretty much be a permanent block.

But evolution and the age of the earth is not a problem for my Gospel; of course we would consider one quite strange if you believed the earth is very young and that evolution is a lie; but I can't imagine what natural evidence you could have for such strange beliefs.

Furthermore, if your only prepared to consider a Christianity that takes Genesis Chapter 1 to be an account of the natural creation of the earth; I'm not unsettled to leave you in the false-security afforded by the fields of straw-men that are required to preserve your comfort. I would just have you know, there are many false doctrines out there:

1Jn 4:1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.
1Jn 4:2 Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:
1Jn 4:3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.
1Jn 4:4 Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.
1Jn 4:5 They are of the world: therefore speak they of the world, and the world heareth them.
1Jn 4:6 We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.

Genesis chapter 1 is not trying to describe physical creation, its describing spiritual creation: how the spirit of God created the mind from a brain (from when the earth was void and without form).

Mole

Permabanned
if you are not prepared to ever believe that there lived a man known as Jesus Christ

There was no one born in Bethlehem known as Jesus Christ.

It is likely there was a Judaic rabbi called Jesus. But 'Christ' and Christology was a later invention of Christians and never accepted by Judaism.

So it is ridiculous to say there lived a man called Jesus Christ. No such man of that name ever existed.

Zangetshumody

MBTI Type
INTJ
There was no one born in Bethlehem known as Jesus Christ.

It is likely there was a Judaic rabbi called Jesus. But 'Christ' and Christology was a later invention of Christians and never accepted by Judaism.

So it is ridiculous to say there lived a man called Jesus Christ. No such man of that name ever existed.

I see a claim being made; and I find it unconvincing. Even if your first premise were true, it doesn't support your grand sweeping conclusion.

And regarding your first premise: do you know what the scriptures say about where Jesus was reared? There are people in my country whose birth's aren't officially reordered until a year after the birth, however you believe the bureaucracy in Bethlehem is infallible to the point it must of been able to capture events regarding even it's temporary resident's?

Mole

Permabanned
I see a claim being made; and I find it unconvincing. Even if your first premise were true, it doesn't support your grand sweeping conclusion.

And regarding your first premise: do you know what the scriptures say about where Jesus was reared? There are people in my country whose birth's aren't officially reordered until a year after the birth, however you believe the bureaucracy in Bethlehem is infallible to the point it must of been able to capture events regarding even it's temporary resident's?

Good heavens, surely your not suggesting that 'Christ' is a surname and 'Jesus' is first name?

Zangetshumody

MBTI Type
INTJ
Good heavens, surely your not suggesting that 'Christ' is a surname and 'Jesus' is first name?

No I'm not.

Christ is not a surname.

They did not use family/surname's like we do now.

That seems like quite the red herring to throw into the works, that obscures and side steps the issue raised against the formulation for your grand sweeping statement.

Luk_1:35 And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.

"shall be called"; does not mean he had the surname Christ since birth, but that he shall be known as the Christ, and so tacitly that he would be addressed as such, at least to some extent.

'How you are known' is what a name is. As such, names can change, for example when you meet someone and they introduce themselves to you with just their first name, and then you later learn of their middle and surname, how you [then] know that person is different by the extension of how they are known.

The word Christ is also part of a title that holds a larger identity than can't just [exclusively] be applied to a particular individual found in scriptures, it in a sense, a word related integrally to the truth of the Gospel, but that does not subtract from the fact it was applied to the child naturally born to Joseph and Mary in Bethlehem.

Last edited:

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Is christianity something like a football team that you favor because it wins most of the time and it is popular to favor that team?

This is only one of the reasons people become christian. Its not a very good one but it is one of them.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Christianity teaches that Adam and Eve committed Original Sin and in order to save us God the Father sent his Son, Jesus, as a scapegoat for Original Sin.

This is hard to believe as we now know there was no Adam and Eve and so no Original Sin and so no need for a scapegoat.

Says the man who lives alone writing poetry on the internet to no one that cares. Hey, if you lived a fantastic life and everyone respected you, I might listen to what you have to say, but the opposite is true, so you should probably stop pretending you know anything about what you're talking about.

Mole

Permabanned
Says the man who lives alone writing poetry on the internet to no one that cares. Hey, if you lived a fantastic life and everyone respected you, I might listen to what you have to say, but the opposite is true, so you should probably stop pretending you know anything about what you're talking about.

I am in the fortunate position of having self respect. So I have no need of the respect of others, althougth I am pleased to accept the respect of others.

I am also fortunate to live a life of financial independence in an environment I love.

And I am fortunate to have an intellectual life leavened by the lyrical.

But most of all I am in the position to explore the world around me. And exploration leads to discovery and delight.

Of course there is a down side, and that is my discoveries are seen as a threat to the taken for granted, as you can plainly see on Typology Central.

Mole

Permabanned
No I'm not.

Christ is not a surname.

They did not use family/surname's like we do now.

That seems like quite the red herring to throw into the works, that obscures and side steps the issue raised against the formulation for your grand sweeping statement.

Luk_1:35 And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.

"shall be called"; does not mean he had the surname Christ since birth, but that he shall be known as the Christ, and so tacitly that he would be addressed as such, at least to some extent.

'How you are known' is what a name is. As such, names can change, for example when you meet someone and they introduce themselves to you with just their first name, and then you later learn of their middle and surname, how you [then] know that person is different by the extension of how they are known.

The word Christ is also part of a title that holds a larger identity than can't just [exclusively] be applied to a particular individual found in scriptures, it in a sense, a word related integrally to the truth of the Gospel, but that does not subtract from the fact it was applied to the child naturally born to Joseph and Mary in Bethlehem.

If Jesus is the Christ, why is he not accepted as the Christ by Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Atheists, Agnostics, and other religions?

Daenera

Rogue heart
For those who do not necessarily subscribe to a belief in God, let's do some theorizing. If God really is the omnipotent, all-knowing, supremely intelligent and creative being that he is thought by some to be, then how in the heck would we as his handiwork have the capacity to understand him or his ways? It's expecting the shoe, or the dress or the cake to understand the complexities of it's human maker.
I'll bite. If we cannot create something that is able of comprehending us, that doesn't have to imply that God cannot create something that can comprehend his nature, on the contrary if God is all that(omnipotent, all-knowing, supremely intelligent and creative being) that necessarily implies that he is capable of creating such creatures (creatures capable of understanding him even on a rational level), so why doesn't he?
Is it because he can't or doesn't want to? If he can't than he is not omnipotent, all-knowing, supremely intelligent and creative being, if he doesn't want to: I could actually be convinced that it's because he wants people to have free will, but surely if he is all that he could find a way to make us that way that we'll understand his nature and have free will, and won't have to experience pain, suffering and other delights such as those in our existence to prove our faith, also isn't salvation and/or damnation predetermined, so why would he need proof of our faith: we don't need proof to believe in God, but God needs proof of our faith: again conflicting with him being an omnipotent, all-knowing, supremely intelligent and creative being. (he wouldn't need a proof he would know)

I think the humbling truth of this is actually the largest reason for disbelief in God, because it's simply offensive to the egos of intellectual narcissists and uncomfortable to control freaks.

Humbling truth vs intellectual narcissists and control freak. (IMO there are other reasons that play a more significant part and are not quite so negative, but I'll digress if I go in that direction)
Is it humbling to think that believing in God makes us humble vs the intellectual narcissists and control freaks?
Isn't it a bit judgmental (not quite in the christian spirit) to simplify atheism as a cause of intellectual narcissism or need for control: to place their value on those traits of their character? Even if someone is intellectual narcissist or a control freak it still doesn't mean that they aren't a good person.

Let's say a person is a narcissist but his narcissism is one of the driving forces behind his actions (not the only one, no one has a single driving force behind his behavior) and that he wouldn't have achieved something that greatly benefits humanity, if that wasn't the case, on the contrary if he tried to be humble he probably wouldn't have been motivated enough. Does that make him a bad person?

Also someone may be a believer and act in accordance to God's laws all his life,(is constantly tested through suffering as well) and one of those narcissist or control freaks, or who knows even murderers, pedophiles, etc, let's just say someone that not only did not did good but hurt many people, who done some terrible things, decides he is a believer, ask forgiveness and he is saved, but wait did any of the things he did matter because again our salvation is predetermined?

Also that logic kinda seems similar to this logic:
"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me."

One more thing:
expecting to understand or have proof of God is, at least in part, hilariously ridiculous.

Gotta say I appreciate it greatly when Christians are open to discuss their beliefs even when they are certain that you can't rationally prove the existence of God , in the end discussing Christianity(or theism in general) among agnostics/atheists it's a bit like non-smokers discussing the experience of smoking (don't mean anything bad by this analogy like implying Christianity is a bad habit lol, it's just the part about discussing an experience you didn't have from the outside and judging it solely by it's outward manifestations) *in this analogy I would be an ex smoker haha*

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What is not humbling about the idea that parasites will be excited when you are dead?

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

And the angel of the lord came unto me, snatching me up from my place of slumber.
And took me on high, and higher still until we moved to the spaces betwixt the air itself.

And he brought me into a vast farmlands of our own midwest.
And as we descended, cries of impending doom rose from the soil.

One thousand, nay a million voices full of fear.

And terror possesed me then.

And I begged,

"Angel of the Lord, what are these tortured screams?"
And the angel said unto me,

"These are the cries of the carrots, the cries of the carrots!
You see, Reverend Maynard, tomorrow is harvest day and to them it is the holocaust."

And I sprang from my slumber drenched in sweat like the tears of one million terrified brothers and roared,

"Hear me now, I have seen the light!
They have a consciousness, they have a life, they have a soul!
Damn you!
Let the rabbits wear glasses!
Save our brothers!"

Can I get an amen?
baaaaaaaaa!!!!

Can I get a hallelujah?
baaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!

Thank you Jesus.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
1 If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3 If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing. 4 Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant 5 or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; 6 it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. 7 Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 8 Love never ends. As for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when the perfect comes, the partial will pass away. 11 When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways. 12 For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known. 13 So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

indra

is
MBTI Type
jedi
Enneagram
Eyes bulging, ants are in your head

And your thoughts, yeah

THEY ROT