User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Thread: Christianity

Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    The fascinating thing about Christianity is that its founder was not a Christian. Yes, the very founder of Christianity was a Jew who followed the religion of Judaism. So it was the later followers of this Jew who created Christianity. And what chutzpah, they even went as far as to blame the torture and death of this Jew on the Jews themselves.
    There was only one Christian, and he died on the cross

-Nietzsche

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by OptoGypsy View Post
    I'm surrounded by Christian zealots as peers so it's more in line of a social standing and using it as a tool of spreading word on life and humanity instead of treating it as a ticket to heaven.
    Other people are surrounded by condescending atheists....

Everyone has their cross to bear.

MBTI
    yupp

In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    lol, oh geez. i really hate this kind of thing. attributing random coincidences in ones favor to divine intervention is like, demeaning.

as far as the conversation happening about prayers being answered. prayer isn't supposed to be a person asking God for things and God deciding whether or not they deserve rent money or to be cured of cancer. that kind of narrow view of spirituality and God's place in humanity is a large part of what keeps people seeing Christianity as a hokey fairy tale. God already is working whether you're praying or not. to pray is to tap into that. to tune into what God's doing and attempt to sync up.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Other people are surrounded by condescending atheists....

Everyone has their cross to bear.
    You're completely right and I hold the title of a Christian and go through the hardship of carrying my cross of not truly believing in the super natural aspects of it but to reach a group of zealots on topics/discussions I find important such as the republican party goes against the ideas that Jesus Christ gave them to live by, etc

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Typh0n View Post
    There was only one Christian, and he died on the cross

-Nietzsche
    Yup and everyone else is a wanna be existentialist that wants to live their lives in a similar way to his (Ghandi, every INFJ out there) while failing to do so since they are afraid of the idea that is hell. It has becomes the SJs (and other types I just like miss-treating the SJs ) greatest marketing tool into getting people to do what they want

Quote Originally Posted by five sounds View Post
    lol, oh geez. i really hate this kind of thing. attributing random coincidences in ones favor to divine intervention is like, demeaning.

as far as the conversation happening about prayers being answered. prayer isn't supposed to be a person asking God for things and God deciding whether or not they deserve rent money or to be cured of cancer. that kind of narrow view of spirituality and God's place in humanity is a large part of what keeps people seeing Christianity as a hokey fairy tale. God already is working whether you're praying or not. to pray is to tap into that. to tune into what God's doing and attempt to sync up.
    Yeah, I was only responding to what I thought was problematic with @wildflower's example.

I'm actually very interested in religion and study it on university level. As part of an assignment I attented a service at a pentecostal church where the topic of the sermon was the role and function of prayer, as well as a practical how-to guide. The pastor described it similarly - as a way to synchronize with God, letting His plan become yours and your plan His. He compared it to synchronizing your iPhone to send and retrieve information from iCloud.

He also told an anecdote of when a friend of his had been in fourth grade. There was a new kid at their school who quickly became the target of bullying. The pastor's friend felt that it was wrong, yet did nothing about it and even participated sometimes since kids easily succumb to peer pressure. He was a devout Christian however, and one night he had prayed to God, asking for advice how to handle this, because he wanted to help his classmate and felt guilty for doing nothing. After praying, he experienced something of a "moment of clarity" and felt compelled to do what is right and stand up for the bullied kid, which he did, again and again, even if he also became a target by doing so, because he was convinced that it was the right thing to do.

It got me thinking about if religious people in general have better morals (as in, more likely to act according to their ethics) because they find a source of conviction and strength in God, and if religion actually is necessary (or at least the most effective way) to create a moral society. The problem, of course, is that members of the out-group will suffer discrimination, and that it's impossible to decide who has the prerogative to separate right from wrong.
    I FEEL ALRIGHT

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by OptoGypsy View Post
    You're completely right and I hold the title of a Christian and go through the hardship of carrying my cross of not truly believing in the super natural aspects of it but to reach a group of zealots on topics/discussions I find important such as the republican party goes against the ideas that Jesus Christ gave them to live by, etc
    So its the GOP you have a problem with not, Christians?

What's your problem with the GOP?

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Hive View Post
    Yeah, I was only responding to what I thought was problematic with @wildflower's example.

I'm actually very interested in religion and study it on university level. As part of an assignment I attented a service at a pentecostal church where the topic of the sermon was the role and function of prayer, as well as a practical how-to guide. The pastor described it similarly - as a way to synchronize with God, letting His plan become yours and your plan His. He compared it to synchronizing your iPhone to send and retrieve information from iCloud.

He also told an anecdote of when a friend of his had been in fourth grade. There was a new kid at their school who quickly became the target of bullying. The pastor's friend felt that it was wrong, yet did nothing about it and even participated sometimes since kids easily succumb to peer pressure. He was a devout Christian however, and one night he had prayed to God, asking for advice how to handle this, because he wanted to help his classmate and felt guilty for doing nothing. After praying, he experienced something of a "moment of clarity" and felt compelled to do what is right and stand up for the bullied kid, which he did, again and again, even if he also became a target by doing so, because he was convinced that it was the right thing to do.

It got me thinking about if religious people in general have better morals (as in, more likely to act according to their ethics) because they find a source of conviction and strength in God, and if religion actually is necessary (or at least the most effective way) to create a moral society. The problem, of course, is that members of the out-group will suffer discrimination, and that it's impossible to decide who has the prerogative to separate right from wrong.
    haha! pastors and their 'cool pop culture tie-ins' are a reason i have a really hard time finding a church to attend. sometimes there's just too much fluff.

anyway, i wasn't responding directly to your critique of wildflower's post, but just to the idea in general. that picture prpl posted was really what got me on the whole tangent.

as far as creating a moral society, i take a really Fi approach to that whole idea. i have a kind of a 'thing' with the word religion. religion is the physical practice of spirituality. the problem is, as soon as things are put into the physical realm, the dirty hands and minds of man are all over them. so, like the little fourth grader, i think we should all seek guidance as to our own personal 'religion' at any given moment. how can i live out what i'm spiritually convicted of? what is 'right' in this situation? this also calls into the ring the question of spiritual maturity. it's a process. and i believe that where i'm at is much different from someone who's had a strong spiritual life for decades and decades. are we called to the same 'religion'? no way. i'm gonna get things wrong more, but that doesn't mean that my practice is wrong. i'm doing my best where i'm at, and none of us, not even the most spiritually mature, is on par with God.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    chinchilla surprise