User Tag List

First 123412 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 146

Thread: Christianity

  1. #11
    likes this gromit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    6,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OptoGypsy View Post
    I agree with you God is the result of a man persuading people to make him into a figure of authority by creating a 'God' with a divine eternal plan and telling them that this God choose him to lead them 2. Gods are the result of Drugs (Shrooms) 3. They are used to expain the unexplainable before science 4. People where committing suicide and the idea of a God was created to stop the mass suicides of the nihilistic society either one is a viable explanation
    Ah sounds like your mind is actually made up and that you are not actually considering the existence of God as per the OP.

    Wish I had known that before I wasted my time posting.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

  2. #12
    Senior Member OptoGypsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    577

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    Ah sounds like your mind is actually made up and that you are not actually considering the existence of God as per the OP.

    Wish I had known that before I wasted my time posting.
    Truth is if there was physical evidence for believing in a God I would in a heartbeat

  3. #13
    IRL is not real Cimarron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Posts
    3,424

    Default

    I don't know how others feel about this, but I don't think believing will remove doubt. You will probably have to carry your doubt with you, it's just part of a modern scientific life of knowledge of facts and theories. Belief is about something else...sorry that that's probably not what you want to hear.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

  4. #14
    Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,806

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OptoGypsy View Post
    Truth is if there was physical evidence for believing in a God I would in a heartbeat
    But then you wouldn't be believing in it, because it would be like believing in the milkman. You know they exist.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

    Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

  5. #15
    Senior Member wildflower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OptoGypsy View Post
    Truth is if there was physical evidence for believing in a God I would in a heartbeat
    there is. jesus walked the earth as not only the Son of God but as a man. he was flesh and blood. he died and then physically rose from the dead. it's a historical event, there were many witnesses to his resurrection & life and people's lives were radically changed. that is why i suggested the book i did as it outlines the physical evidence. do you really think the gregorian calendar system would change for a conspiracy of a few?

  6. #16
    Sweet Ocean Cloud SD45T-2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp
    Posts
    2,757

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    But then you wouldn't be believing in it, because it would be like believing in the milkman. You know they exist.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

    "I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

  7. #17
    failed poetry slam career chubber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Te
    Posts
    4,221

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OptoGypsy View Post
    Hi I'm seriously trying to consider the existence of God but it just doesn't seem plausible. What evidence do we have outside of the Bible or any Religious text that a God exists? How did you rationalize the existence of God? Is the only argument you have that a God exists is the leap of faith, is faith your only trump card?
    Pretty much yes.

  8. #18
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be something you can prove one way or another.

    In my experiences God is about listening and being open to love and kindness and growth. A god of small miracles, changes of heart, and of breathtaking beauty... in fellow humans and in the world. In the midst deeply harrowing moments, as well as the sweet and simple ones.
    I agree. There's a lot I won't ever know for sure, but I still choose to value certain things because of my life experience and what I see to be beautiful. It's a commitment to beauty, growth, perseverence, love.

    Quote Originally Posted by wildflower View Post
    there is. jesus walked the earth as not only the Son of God but as a man. he was flesh and blood. he died and then physically rose from the dead. it's a historical event, there were many witnesses to his resurrection & life and people's lives were radically changed. that is why i suggested the book i did as it outlines the physical evidence. do you really think the gregorian calendar system would change for a conspiracy of a few?
    We don't have any corroborated witnesses. We have three snippets that claim a resurrection, but anyone can write a story down on paper as part of their holy sect especially if they believe it through word of mouth. It doesn't really pass scrutiny as "historical event" in that sense, there is no tangible history to confer with.

    People's lives can be changed as long as they believe something to be true. All the studies of "positive thinking" show this, it doesn't even matter what faith you believe. So you can't attribute it to one particular faith.

    If you find this particular religious view to inspire you to be a better person, I think that's great... but the historicity isn't clear. I think we can say the document transmission process is really good (because of how seriously it was taken), but there's still a gap between any events themselves and the written anecdotes. That's enough to leave some people legitimately unsure.

    Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    But then you wouldn't be believing in it, because it would be like believing in the milkman. You know they exist.
    I don't remember the last time I've seen a milkman, actually.
    I think they all went extinct in 1952?

    OR MAYBE IT WAS ALL JUST A LIE



    (ps. I actually agree with your point. )
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  9. #19
    hypersane Hive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,005

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OptoGypsy View Post
    Hi I'm seriously trying to consider the existence of God but it just doesn't seem plausible. What evidence do we have outside of the Bible or any Religious text that a God exists? How did you rationalize the existence of God? Is the only argument you have that a God exists is the leap of faith, is faith your only trump card?

    For all the non-believers out their what is your opinion on this Guy
    Yuriy and Inna | Welcome. Grow in Grace with us.
    He is a controversial christian figure in the Christian Russian social groups in the west of the U.S.A @Alea_iacta_est @chubber @digesthisickness @Evee @Halla74 @Hive @Honor @JAVO
    Some people find God in times of great stress or deep sorrow. Others were born into a religious environment. Some are genetically predisposed towards spiritual beliefs. I don't think you're gonna find evidence that will make you believe if you're an atheist or a skeptic. Rather, I think the evidence appears when you're already a believer. God becomes the goodness in people, the strength of our determination, the beauty of nature, or whatever else you can ascribe God to. If you're looking for some guy who proved God's existence through controlled experiments in a lab, you won't find anything.

    My first impression of that Yuriy dude is that he looks like Oberyn Martell/Pedro Pascal but with a chubbier face.

    I FEEL ALRIGHT

  10. #20
    Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne
    Posts
    5,634

    Default

    So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

    i would never try to convince anyone that God existed, but looking for physical proof is kind of contrary to the idea of spiritual faith. it's in your heart first, and then the physical things go from there. if you're really interested in exploring God, i say spend some time in prayer and meditation, really quieting your mind and seeking God honestly without pretense.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

Similar Threads

  1. types and christianity
    By Blackwater in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 06-11-2009, 04:12 PM
  2. Agnostic Devout (Christian)
    By Eileen in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 10-02-2007, 05:28 AM
  3. Christianity Today Poll (same-sex marriages)
    By Totenkindly in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 09-14-2007, 08:53 AM
  4. Web Link: MBTI and Christianity?
    By Usehername in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-28-2007, 03:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO