• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

US Religious knowledge quiz and data

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
15/15. Lord knows I've taken enough classes on religion.

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
14 out of 15; I had forgotten that the Jewish Sabbath was not just on Saturday. Also, I didn't remember any specific names from the First Great Awakening, that was a guess after I eliminated Billy Graham and figured that Finney was likely an Irish Catholic name (was Edwards the 'Sinners in the hands of an angry God' guy, or was that someone else?).

Beorn

Permabanned
14 out of 15; I had forgotten that the Jewish Sabbath was not just on Saturday. Also, I didn't remember any specific names from the First Great Awakening, that was a guess after I eliminated Billy Graham and figured that Finney was likely an Irish Catholic name (was Edwards the 'Sinners in the hands of an angry God' guy, or was that someone else?).

Yes, Edwards was that guy.

Finney was a very un-Presbyterian Presbyterian minister who developed an emphasis on methodology in evangelism. That is, he focused on how music and preaching style could be used to manipulate people into converting. He was so "successful" that they referred to Upstate NY as the burned over district since not a soul was not caught on fire by the Holy Spirit. He's pretty much the predecessor of the Charismatic Movement though he's had a far reaching impact on Christianity in general.

Traditional Presbyterians think of him as a pelegian heretic since he basically was preaching that people could and should be morally perfect in this life through their own efforts of will. Basically he preached salvation through human effort instead of salvation by the imputed righteousness of Christ.

If you think Christianity is just about trying to be a good person that's probably because of the far-reaching impact of Finney.

Edit:
Almost forgot to add this awesome pic of Finney
finney.jpg

Nicodemus

13 out of 15. I got wrong:

- When does the Jewish Sabbath begin? I thought it began on Saturday.
- According to rulings by the U.S. Supreme Court, is a public school teacher permitted to lead a class in prayer, or not? I did not give the Supreme Court enough credit.

Beorn

Permabanned
13 out of 15. I got wrong:

- When does the Jewish Sabbath begin? I thought it began on Saturday.

That's really a trick question since it's really just a difference of when you determine each day begins and ends and the question isn't that specific.

- According to rulings by the U.S. Supreme Court, is a public school teacher permitted to lead a class in prayer, or not? I did not give the Supreme Court enough credit.

Interesting. Many Americans (and too many school teachers and administrators)vastly underestimate what religious activity is permitted at public school.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
That's really a trick question since it's really just a difference of when you determine each day begins and ends and the question isn't that specific.
Pretty much. Although 90% of the Jewish respondents got it right, so it must have made sense to them. :jew: No other demographic group seemed particularly aware of it. (ranging around 40%)
Glad to see people surprised that they can sometimes give the U.S. Supreme Court more credit.