Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Default Following Your Heart

what are your thoughts and feelings about 'following your heart'? i've been interested in this idea lately, and googling around found this blog entry.

http://alifeofperfectdays.blogspot.c...our-heart.html

feel free to respond to the link or not. here is an excerpt of the intro:
    "Our society today is driven by our minds, our fear and our ego. We do not place value and emphasis on passion, love, fulfillment and spiritual purpose. Rather it is about external success, money, security, stability and reputation. As a result many of us do not feel it is that important to really tune in to our hearts and hear what it wants. We are too busy trying to get ahead and make something of ourselves in this world.

You see, the heart is free and wild and is driven by love. The head is practical and analytical and is often driven by fear. Your head will tell you what needs to be done to remain safe in the world - to get the money you want, the approval you crave and the predictability you think you need."
    any thoughts on the matter are appreciated.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

Sniffles

My preliminary thought is you need both your head and your heart to truly thrive as a person. I think our society is actually quite schizophrenic on the issue of heart vs head. We're constantly told to follow our passions and be wild and free, at least when we're younger. Much of pop culture is filled with such references. But then the harsh realities of real life come in, and that's when the head starts to take over. Should people "follow their hearts"? Sure, but what exactly does that mean?

My initial two cents.

Yeah, I agree with @Peguy when he says the we need to balance both heart and head. I think what our society really lacks is wisdom, though. We're told to act with our heads(apply what you know to make money) and our heart( get into relationships etc) but not how to do it a way that brings us deep satisfaction. The ancients had perfected the art of wisdom - we have entirley neglected it in favor of purely external attributes and qualities such as action, appearance, "motivation", money etc. Could that be what the author of the blog is talking about?

Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Typh0n View Post
    Yeah, I agree with @Peguy when he says the we need to balance both heart and head. I think what our society really lacks is wisdom, though. We're told to act with our heads(apply what you know to make money) and our heart( get into relationships etc) but not how to do it a way that brings us deep satisfaction. The ancients had perfected the art of wisdom - we have entirley neglected it in favor of purely external attributes and qualities such as action, appearance, "motivation", money etc. Could that be what the author of the blog is talking about?

Nicely said! I agree with you.
    A student said to his master: "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?" The master replied: "It is better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war." - unknown/Chinese

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=61024&page=14

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

i think the heart should lead....

like ask yourself what is it you would be doing if money weren't an issue. what feeds you? what excites you?

then think of how to make that fit into the real world.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_X View Post
    i think the heart should lead....

like ask yourself what is it you would be doing if money weren't an issue. what feeds you? what excites you?

then think of how to make that fit into the real world.
    This is my outlook as well.
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Your heart is actually in your head, it's just a different part of 'mind'. I think some of us need to skew towards that part of ourselves.
    When I go by my heart, failures become learning experiences. They feel bad, but not that kind of existential bad where I feel like not only did things turn out wrong, but also it was because I was alienating myself. And successes are so much more meaningful. Either way the heart learns for the future and I feel whole.

Hm... I think all the BIG decisions in my life have been following my heart. I don't regret it.

Usually it is the heart telling me something needs to change.

Then the mind explores plans and options. Basic logistics. Come up with a handful that make sense/hold water and that are "right" for me too.

So just choosing the one that feeeeeeeels best is how I end up selecting the one to go with.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    Hm... I think all the BIG decisions in my life have been following my heart. I don't regret it.

Usually it is the heart telling me something needs to change.

Then the mind explores plans and options. Basic logistics. Come up with a handful that make sense/hold water and that are "right" for me too.

So just choosing the one that feeeeeeeels best is how I end up selecting the one to go with.
    fi hugs haha me too sister friend
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    Your heart is actually in your head, it's just a different part of 'mind'. I think some of us need to skew towards that part of ourselves.
    When I go by my heart, failures become learning experiences. They feel bad, but not that kind of existential bad where I feel like not only did things turn out wrong, but also it was because I was alienating myself. And successes are so much more meaningful. Either way the heart learns for the future and I feel whole.
    Yeah, there is something that is intrinsically rewarding about a sincere effort...

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_X View Post
    fi hugs haha me too sister friend
    haha yeah sounds a little touchy-feely typed out like that, but that's really how it is!
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.