User Tag List

First 12

Sniffles

I just had an intuition that the dichotomy set up here of heart vs head maybe deceptive, in the sense that "following your heart" as described actually makes you more receptive to being lead by the head, and thus an interchangeable cog in the technocracy. This notion of "following your heart" or "be yourself" has been used in advertising for a while as a way of manipulating people. "Following your heart" as commonly promoted fits in rather nicely within a consumerist ethos.

WhoCares

To be honest I think a lot of people mistake follow your heart for...follow your impulses, which is an entirely different thing. And where the old 'be wise' chestnut is a useful antidote. For sure, following your impulses isnt a very good thing to do. They flip and switch and arent a dependable read.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by WhoCares View Post
    To be honest I think a lot of people mistake follow your heart for...follow your impulses, which is an entirely different thing. And where the old 'be wise' chestnut is a useful antidote. For sure, following your impulses isnt a very good thing to do. They flip and switch and arent a dependable read.
    It actually is nearly the same thing with me, or at least my impulses of a certain quality are a significant component of my heart. I've found that if I regularly allow myself to exercise my impulses, sometimes even the more dangerous seeming ones within the appropriate playground, they become less capricious.

@Peguy And my impulses are definitely not consumerist.

Translation: I mainly learn things by doing things, often things that common sense tells me that I shouldn't do. And I'm pretty sure all this is very specifically ENFP.

Sniffles

@Qlip I don't care.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Qlip I don't care.
    Hmm, that wasn't mean to be confrontational.

Honestly, it's always bothered the fuck out of me when people have said that to me.

a) it sounds cliche, like after school TV special bullshit, something from CareBears, or perhaps a lyric to a song that might play during a sports training montage in an 80's film.
    b) I don't really know how to do that, so it has always annoyed me when people tell me to do it.

I can better relate to "following my gut" although in general I tend to over think everything (especially difficult life choices)--being told to follow my heart merely makes me overthink things even more and I thus will find it that much more difficult to follow my heart, especially when considering I don't even know where my heart is 95% of the time.