• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you fear the end?

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
For me it's mood. Sometimes I fear it because I fear not being able to finish what I started...or rather go on starting and finishing/not finishing.

Other times it really doesn't bother me, pure acceptance. When I end, I want the second mood present.

Flâneuse

don't ask me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I wouldn't want to be immortal or anything, but I wish I could dramatically prolong my lifespan. 70-90 years seems way too short to learn all the stuff I want to learn and do all the stuff I want to do.

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
images

images

images

Stek

MBTI Type
InTJ
Do you fear death?
Yes. I don't fear death because of death. But I fear death because it means I'm no longer alive.

Do you fear what lay after death? The abyss, heaven, hell, paradise, reincarnation?
No. I assume that death is not experienced. It is to not be conscious. It is nothing.

Or do you fear leaving this place behind, not being able to watch the grand show play out?
I assume I won't miss any of it, as I won't exist. I can only miss anything while still being alive. I don't want to not exist. But when I eventually die, opinion doesn't matter anymore.

Or do you welcome it, awaiting the great beyond to finally understand?
I know it's coming. Each day is one day closer. Until then, I will focus on being alive.

The closest I think I have come to understand death is through medical narcosis while undergoing an operation. It feels like nothing. The only reason I know that I was anesthetized during the time I don't remember is that I woke up. I think the same is true for death, only that I won't ever wake. And therefore I will never realize that I am dead, as my awareness is no more.

windoverlake

MBTI Type
INFJ
Do you fear death?

Do you fear what lay after death? The abyss, heaven, hell, paradise, reincarnation?

Or do you fear leaving this place behind, not being able to watch the grand show play out?

I felt deeply unsure about death in my younger days, because I didn't know anything about death beyond what was presented as dramatic scenes of murder and dying, even if they were happening in Disney films. But I have always been fascinated, and pondered the concept of death long before I could articulate a conversation around it. I think I probably did fear it, but I also didn't know what I was fearing. Once I began to understand its significance in a real-world sense, I just sought to reconcile it with my idea of the world and myself.

So far, pretty smooth sailing. Today, I welcome it as something natural and inevitable. I feel genuine excitement at the prospect of the experience; it only happens once per lifetime for most people, unless you've experienced Near Death. Of course, it would suck to leave before I felt it was my time (whatever, whenever), but I feel that once it's upon you, what greater experience and relief than to surrender to something that demands it, regardless of your own personal level of enthusiasm.

Derpravity

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't fear death so much as hate the idea of non-existence. If I think about its inevitability too long I can become inconsolable.

I follow the null hypothesis on the existence of an after-life. I feel like optimistically presuming its existence would just be a shallow grasp at comfort, and thus incompatible with my core beliefs.

I want to be around forever. Or at least have the choice to. I want that unlimited time so I can explore unlimited possibilities. I want the world on my terms. I freakin' hate having externally set deadlines.

I know it's greedy to want all this, but it seems to me like cultural disapproval of my feelings stems from something akin to Nietszchean slave morality, based on valuing meekness and compliance and taking comfort in self-abasement.

The thought that as I get older my hormones and deteriorating mind and body will make death feel more natural and acceptable horrifies me. I don't care that I won't mind then, or that when I don't exist I won't be able to mind not existing; I mind now. In a sense, I hope I always will.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
No.

I do not fear death.

Neither do I fear living.

I plan to do both to the best of my ability.

As Tecumseh once said, and I truly believe, "Live your life so that the fear of death can never enter your heart. "

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't know that fear is the right word, it's more tied to me liking this planet and life. There will probably come a time though where due to physical challenges, or other difficulties, I'll start shifting more towards it being more welcoming. But barring inability to have the potential to live life as fully as possible, yeah, the idea saddens me more than causes me fear, I think. But then too, the thought that I basically 'die' every single night, via sleep, ie I am not aware of anything while in deep sleep, well, I suppose that gives me some idea of dying, I/we already experience that non existence. I could not wake up ever again and I'd have no clue. Poof, I'm gone. I think that's why it's not tied to fear per se. Though, it is sad.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Having seen a lot of it, I avoid it as much as possible when it comes to myself. I have an idea of what I want to happen to me (vaguely) but I want to be old before I start talking about that stuff for real.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Although I hope to remain alive forever, I find the prospect of death somewhat exciting. The reason I find it somewhat exciting is that I don't believe death is the end, and I've read several accounts of near death experiences that make it sound as if there might be many interesting and wonderful things lurking on the other side. Those stories can be dismissed as recounting hallucinations, though, so at the same time there is a large element of the unknown involved, which makes me terrified of dying. I've wondered if it's like being stuck in a state like I experienced the time I went four days without sleeping and nearly passed out. A sense of profound weakness and hunger came over me, every organ in my body felt as if it were struggling, and my vision narrowed down to a tiny point that flew across the scene like a comet.

berenj

MBTI Type
INFJ
Admittedly, sometimes I'll think of unexpected ways it could happen and freak myself out. Otherwise no, not really. My own mortality seldom frightens me. It'll happen and once it does, I won't have to think about it anymore.

I've always found the thought to be more upsetting than fearful. Because of this, I strive to make the most out of my interactions with my loved ones. It makes me sad more than anything, looking at their faces and knowing that it's all temporary or thinking about how much we missed out on together. Growing up I lived across the world from most of my family members and I used to resent that a lot, but now I try to make up for lost time by visiting more regularly.

Beorn

Permabanned
I don't fear death. At times, though, I do fear my death not having any meaning or being lost in a greater tragedy.

Chrysanthe

Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Some days I fear it, others I look forward to it. But most of the time I don't pay no mind at all and accept it as something meant to be.

Evee

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't fear death. At times, though, I do fear my death not having any meaning or being lost in a greater tragedy.

Beorn, your death is the meaning of your life.

That is to say that your death is what makes your life possible.

Dyslexxie

Dope& diamonds.
My greatest fear is what it could do to my loved ones (I'm an only child and we have a small family, so my parents would be devastated), but for myself? I'm a little gloomy and a little curious about it, and I know when it comes I'll be nervous but excited for the discovery of what it is and what happens after.

evilrubberduckie

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
i can make up some rational excuse on why I dont fear "the end"

but you know what. im human. ergo part of a irrational species.

so yes, yes I do.

GIjade

MBTI Type
INFJ
Do you fear death?

No.

I don't fear nothingness.

The grand show was playing when I came in and will continue when I leave. It will never play out as long as there is life. But I won't miss anything when I die, because I'll be, you know, dead.

I neither fear it nor welcome it. There will be nothing to finally understand. I understand a lot more now than I will after I'm dead, because then I'll be, you know, dead.

Mole

Permabanned
The End

No.

The grand show was playing when I came in and will continue when I leave. It will never play out as long as there is life. But I won't miss anything when I die, because I'll be, you know, dead.

I neither fear it nor welcome it. There will be nothing to finally understand. I understand a lot more now than I will after I'm dead, because then I'll be, you know, dead.

My dear, we could of course have dinner at the Restaurant at the End of the Universe, click on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Opnv8J9QPx8

On the other hand, the end of the universe is a long way off while Mole End is at hand. And there is hardly a better end than Mole End. How lucky we are to find ourselves ensconced, cosily, in Mole End, click on The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame: Ch. 5: Dulce Domum

Lia_kat

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
No.

Exactly how I feel. I think I will fear more the sadness prior to death; knowing that I will never again get to enjoy nature/travel, have new experiences, or see my loved ones..