• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you fear the end?

Nicodemus

When my time comes, I will hand my cloak to my son, greet Death as an old friend and go with him willingly.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
When my time comes, I will hand my cloak to my son, greet Death as an old friend and go with him willingly.

I love when people reference "The Bard".

More on-topic though, I don't think I'm afraid of death, but then again very sick people, old people, and just decrepitude in general, freaks me out. So I am probably more afraid than I realize.

I'm definitely not afraid of what comes after, because I think whatever it is that makes me fearful will be gone once I die. If my consciousness/energy exists in some way beyond my death, I don't imagine it will be scared. And besides, it probably won't come to that. I'm not terribly convinced there is an after, anyway.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Comeback Girl

Ratchet Ass Moon Fairy
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Do you fear death?
I used to be, until I had a conversation with my then FWB, who was an atheist just like me and he explained why there is no need to be afraid of death. Our brains simply stop working at some point, we lose consciousness, we won't even be aware of the fact that we're dead. No thoughts, no feelings, but also no suffering. Just a big nothingness. And we won't even mind it, because we won't have the mind anymore we need to mind it.

Do you fear what lay after death? The abyss, heaven, hell, paradise, reincarnation?
No. Thank you, former FWB!

Or do you fear leaving this place behind, not being able to watch the grand show play out?
Not for myself, but maybe for the people who love me. Who knows, maybe they won't be able to handle it. So hopefully I'll die in a way that helps them make peace with it.

Or do you welcome it, awaiting the great beyond to finally understand?
Not necessarily, especially not now. I like life, I'd love to live for a little longer.

Avalon

MBTI Type
INTP
Even the universe will end, so there is no reason to fret, for it is inevitable.

V

violaine

I have in the past in a very particular way. Which is that I have feared wasting my life. I am very driven to live a full life of my own creation - I have experienced a great deal of angst when things haven't happened in ways that fulfill my vision for my life. Not referring to mistakes exactly, those are fine and even welcomed because I think they are good for me, but rather things that would become long-term trends flowing in complete opposition to living a life I want to run towards. I think this life is all that there is; I want to make it count in a way that leaves me feeling "bloody, but unbowed". And therefore happy. :)

I guess that does mean thoughts of my mortality have absolutely dominated my life... I have always walked a line between wanting to LIVE, LIVE, LIVE! and not wading too far into the ocean of regret. Happy to say that I have calmed down a lot since I had babies. It has been wonderful to realize something as pedestrian as having a child could bring so much of the otherworldly magic I crave into my life.

xisnotx

Permabanned
I mean...I don't fear it. It's not scary. But it makes me sad that all this will end. That I'll lose my mom. My brothers and sisters. That I'm really all alone, so alone so as to not even have myself...I'll lose myself too.

But then again, I might not. So, while it's saddening, I find solace in knowing that I really don't know.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
what happens does happen and there is no way around it and thus no point of worrying about it too much.

ps. i have had to accept me dying right on that spot right away once, but luckily it wasnt real even tho it felt like it.

Octavarium

I fear the process of dying, and all the pain and discomfort that comes with it, but I don't fear being dead. I certainly don't fear ceasing to be conscious, because I will be gone, unable to feel anything. I think it's highly unlikely that there's some kind of god who could potentially punish me in hell for eternity, so I don't fear that.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Do you fear death?

Do you fear what lay after death? The abyss, heaven, hell, paradise, reincarnation?

Or do you fear leaving this place behind, not being able to watch the grand show play out?

Or do you welcome it, awaiting the great beyond to finally understand?

Death is just another transition. What is more scary is the events between life and death.

So no, I don't fear what comes at/after death, but I do fear the things I may/could of done proceeding death.

It is like a cranky old man complaining about his life about how he wished he could of done more or have done something while he was growing up before he was to pass away, that is 100x more scary than actually dying.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I dread my life ending before I can set it right. Although...I'm coming to realize that my idea of "right" is nigh superhuman and to see the resulting eternal dissatisfaction as more of a perpetual motion machine than a hopeless mission. With this temperament, I won't ever rest on my laurels or let my focus diffuse. On my deathbed, I might be proud to have never let myself become satisfied.

Also, mega fear of annihilation.

PancakeMix

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
I mainly fear of what I'd feel like the moment before death. I'm scared whether my last moments will be painful or not. I've also been having trouble wrapping my head around the thought of losing complete consciousness as if I never existed in the first place, which does scare me to a degree. I'm also afraid of the people I could be leaving behind, and those I love leaving me. In fact, I'd be happy if there was an afterlife, but I'm not even sure if they're is one like everyone else on this Earth.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Hell yes

I fear a little bit of the unknown to come. It's mostly the not knowing whether I'm going to remember anything I've learned here. I find the whole "game of life" kind of pointless if we can't remember it. I also don't like the thought of losing consciousness.

Hell yes

You know, I was thinking about this earlier. I'm scared of the great beyond, sure, but I think I'm actually more scared of going before I've done what I want to do.

Hell yes, again.

These are precisely the reasons why I fear death.

Iriohm

MBTI Type
INKP
Enneagram
5w4
YouHaveNoIdea.jpg

Not death itself, particularly, but I do fear voids. If there is an afterlife, whether it be some variant of heaven, hell, or limbo, I figure I'm clever enough to get where I want to be given time. If there's nothing, though, I'm kind of screwed.

AzulEyes

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Do you fear death? No. Just want to hang on till my kids are well --- well ---- on their way- when they can do okay without me.

Do you fear what lay after death? The abyss, heaven, hell, paradise, reincarnation? Nope- I don't fear it. I welcome it.

Or do you fear leaving this place behind, not being able to watch the grand show play out? I will be able to see it play out from beyond. And I'm sure some of it will be nasty.

Or do you welcome it, awaiting the great beyond to finally understand? I welcome fate.

Mole

Permabanned
Serious question: Are you actually currently dying, as in you are currently in hospice right now waiting for it to occur (note: this is a yes or no question)? If so this is kind of a really really big deal.

If that's not the case, then you don't actually know that. There are SO many ways for a person to die that it's impossible to know where you'll end up dying. You might have a strong leaning, inclination, or desire to die there, but you by no means know that.

This is true.

I have chosen to die in Canberra, a beautiful city. And it is quite likely I will die in the hospice in a beautiful place by the lake without pain.

And in choosing where to die gives me some control over my own death.

And I think it is losing dignity and control as we are dying that fuels the fear of dying.

However at the present time I am not dying.

I am at home in Canberra and having decided to die at home, I can forget about it and enjoy living every day.

draon9

Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so
I am scared of death, but the question is how I am good going to die