• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Religious\Spiritual Beliefs

Your belief?

• Christianity

Votes: 21 36.8%
  • Judaism

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Islam

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Buddhism

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hinduism

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Agnosticism

Votes: 12 21.1%
  • Atheism

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • Unitarian-Universalism

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • Paganism\Wiccanism

• Shamanism

• Satanism

Votes: 3 5.3%

• Total voters

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am a spiritual person, which means religious people and atheists hate me :/ I have found there to be deep spirituality in Christianity, and I love the aesthetics of Catholicism, Anglicanism, and Eastern Orthodox, but ultimately I just don't like being told that what I do is sinful and that I, and loved ones, will burn in hell for eternity if we don't follow these rules. In fact, if there is a hell, I think that anyone that would say something like that to someone will probably end up there themselves. After all, we should not judge others. We really shouldn't. Nothing good ever comes out of it. Life is too short to bicker amongst ourselves, especially about things we cannot see or prove.

I am a member of the UUA, and I like that because I develop my own spiritual path and meet with a fellowship of people who are doing the same. I attend it with atheists, agnostics, Christians, Pagans. I wish there was a deeper spirituality at the meetings though and may be exploring my local Episcopal church to gain that. I like deep spirituality that borders on mysticism. I honestly don't care where it comes from as long as I feed that. The important thing to realize is that all religions speak to that deep spirituality that permeates the world around us, and it's a sad world when people take their religion too literally and lose sight of what all the religions have in common. Anyways, I think if I stay UUA, go to a Church, and spend a lot of time in nature, It will strength my spirituality and lead a more fulfilling life.

As a Hindu who's more spiritually inclined than religiously (I'm not much of a fan of rituals and all that), I can totally see your perspective on this. :)

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
I both believe and disbelieve all the religions, rather than believe one can't know if the claims they make are true or not. I...understand how they are both true and false at the same time.

I realize this might be asking a lot....but do you think you could explain this a bit? Because as you put it now, it's inherently nonsensical.

Mole

Permabanned
I realize this might be asking a lot....but do you think you could explain this a bit? Because as you put it now, it's inherently nonsensical.

Perhaps Little Sticks may not mind if I reply in their place.

So let me give you an example: when we go to the movies we suspend our disbelief for the duration of the movie, but when the movie ends, we return to reality.

And it is the same for some of us with religion: when we go to chuch, mosque, synagogue, or temple, we suspend our disbelief for the duration, but when we leave, we return to reality.

So we both believe and disbelieve, but not at the same time, so there is no contradiction.

yeghor

Interesting that there are no muslims among those responding...despite that there are about 1.5 billion people adhering to Islamic faith around the world...

yeghor

Christianity still in a commanding lead.

Not for long my friend...not for long...

yeghor

g3uzfj01q0ufz4smepuvjw.png

Polls of TypoC aren't really representative. :cheers:

I don't think it should matter for the individual whether one's religion\faith is the predominant one... God doesn't cease to exist just because less people believe in him...

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I don't think it should matter for the individual whether one's religion\faith is the predominant one... God doesn't cease to exist just because less people believe in him...

The numbers don't matter, except as a refutation of the poll here.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
I'm sorry, but I refuse, for reasons that aren't worth explaining.
I apologize if I came off as rude. It's just I don't understand.

Perhaps Little Sticks may not mind if I reply in their place.

So let me give you an example: when we go to the movies we suspend our disbelief for the duration of the movie, but when the movie ends, we return to reality.
Well sure, but in the end all movies are lumped together in the "fiction" category. We can enjoy them as amazing stories, but we acknowledge that they aren't true and it wouldn't make sense if they were all true because the realities contradict one another.

And it is the same for some of us with religion: when we go to chuch, mosque, synagogue, or temple, we suspend our disbelief for the duration, but when we leave, we return to reality.

So we both believe and disbelieve, but not at the same time, so there is no contradiction.

I'm not sure I follow. One's "reality" when one attends a religious service is the same as when one leaves. There is no suspension of disbelief and return to reality in this case.