1 1.59%
  • Shamanism

1 1.59%
  • Satanism

4 6.35%
First 34567 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Jung View Post
    Badass.
    Heh. That's a new take on it. I've never heard that response. Care to expand?

I ask because, answering this always makes me feel vulnerable. So, to get a response that is the antithesis of what I felt while putting it out there, intrigues me.

What if God is this super smart clockmaker who built everything and just sort of lets it run, occasionally tinkering/fixing stuff. But you never get to see him when you die, you just exist and then die and that's it. But maybe when you die, he like absorbs your consciousness (maybe you were just borrowing a piece of his consciousness and when you die he gets it back) and by absorbing everything you saw/thought/experienced he gains a richer appreciation/knowledge of the subtleties of his creation? We're like cosmic reporters for this big, cigar chomping editor in the sky. Does that count as a promise of immortality?
    I've heard variations of this. Sub in consciousness for soul. Then, your soul still lives on. Your life, your experiences live on, even after you die. As if, otherwise, living, is worthless, unless it can be preserved beyond one's death.

You see, we all do have the potential to live on. Not through god, or anything beyond, but through us, each other.

If I lead an examined life, looking at how I make an impact, how I create the ripple effects, doing what I believe in/things that ring true for me, I can aim to direct myself in a way, where, how I live on, were the best parts of me. Through those impacted by the ripples of me.

I firmly believe that we have to answer to ourselves and each other. Nothing beyond.

Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post
    Heh. That's a new take on it. I've never heard that response. Care to expand?
    I don't care to expand too much, it just sounds like a gutsy way to approach life. It smacks of conviction. I like it.

I ask because, answering this always makes me feel vulnerable. So, to get a response that is the antithesis of what I felt while putting it out there, intrigues me.
    Why? Do people usually shoot you down or something?

I've heard variations of this. Sub in consciousness for soul. Then, your soul still lives on. Your life, your experiences live on, even after you die. As if, otherwise, living, is worthless, unless it can be preserved beyond one's death.

You see, we all do have the potential to live on. Not through god, or anything beyond, but through us, each other.

If I lead an examined life, looking at how I make an impact, how I create the ripple effects, doing what I believe in/things that ring true for me, I can aim to direct myself in a way, where, how I live on, were the best parts of me. Through those impacted by the ripples of me.

I firmly believe that we have to answer to ourselves and each other. Nothing beyond.
    Aw, but what happens when all the humans die? Our whole project is lost You're no fun!

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Jung View Post
    Also, how does that feel, to believe that? Does it kind of suck? I don't mean that in a disrespectful way. And obviously I'm not using that as an argument to prove you wrong (because I assume you don't equate truth with feeling good), I'm just curious if you have a hard time feeling whole and motivated with this worldview. I'm not sure (I don't know you and haven't lived out your beliefs), but it sounds like it would be a bit depressing sometimes. But I guess your motivation/needs are probably a lot of different than mine. Do you ever accidentally catch yourself projecting meaning where there is none?
    I am not Magic Poriferan, but I wanted to answer this because I share his beliefs that he has mentioned in this thread. Everyone is different...and my answers could be different than his.

No...the lack of purpose in life is not depressing in the slightest. How could it be? I'm here to have fun and make the most of it. No outside force is dictating the choices I should make in life. I am free to do what I want. What do you believe about purpose?

Now, do you want to know what is depressing when you don't subscribe to a religion? The fact that when we die, we're just gone forever. Now, many atheists try to put a spin on this and think of it in a good way. We may be gone, but our atoms will continue to exist in the universe. In that way, we continue to "live." This doesn't comfort me like it does many others. I'll acknowledge that there is this depressing side, but fortunately you get used to it and try not to think about it.

You mentioned earlier that you didn't feel much of a connection with church at a young age...I definitely didn't either and I think most don't. It's funny...I always tried to do well in school, but when it came to catechism, I would have done rather poorly if it was graded. If someone were to argue with me about my beliefs, they could bring this up and say that I just didn't try hard enough to be a Christian. However, my reasoning for being an atheist lies purely in logic, not in feelings. It has nothing to do with the people who say they "turned away from God" because they were "angry" at him. For whatever reason, people like to do this. Atheism is not a pessimistic view by any means. It just is.

I don't have any religious/spiritual beliefs.

Stansmith

Agnostic. Family is catholic, although only a few of them seem to be strict about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stansmith View Post
    Agnostic. Family is catholic, although only a few of them seem to be strict about it.
    To meet a good catholic boy see Don Jon.

To see the trailer click on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcGO_oAahV8

Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    I am not Magic Poriferan, but I wanted to answer this because I share his beliefs that he has mentioned in this thread. Everyone is different...and my answers could be different than his.
    For sure, I'm listening

No...the lack of purpose in life is not depressing in the slightest. How could it be? I'm here to have fun and make the most of it. No outside force is dictating the choices I should make in life. I am free to do what I want. What do you believe about purpose?
    I find doing what you want is fun for a while (and definitely necessary sometimes), but it is responsibility that makes life meaningful. I often wonder what I SHOULD do, and WHY should I do it? So to believe that there IS meaning in the world (maybe not a traditionally religious meaning), and that I have some sort of objective reason to lead a meaningful life is motivating. Maybe it's not true, but that's what I find appealing about the idea that it is. I don't know if I explained that properly, but there you have it.

Now, do you want to know what is depressing when you don't subscribe to a religion? The fact that when we die, we're just gone forever. Now, many atheists try to put a spin on this and think of it in a good way. We may be gone, but our atoms will continue to exist in the universe. In that way, we continue to "live." This doesn't comfort me like it does many others. I'll acknowledge that there is this depressing side, but fortunately you get used to it and try not to think about it.
    I appreciate your candor, I find a surprising number of atheists deny feeling this way, and it surprises me. Death is not that easy to contend with, after all. I mean it's okay if they actually don't mind, more power to them, but I do wonder if they're just being stubborn.

You mentioned earlier that you didn't feel much of a connection with church at a young age...I definitely didn't either and I think most don't. It's funny...I always tried to do well in school, but when it came to catechism, I would have done rather poorly if it was graded. If someone were to argue with me about my beliefs, they could bring this up and say that I just didn't try hard enough to be a Christian. However, my reasoning for being an atheist lies purely in logic, not in feelings. It has nothing to do with the people who say they "turned away from God" because they were "angry" at him. For whatever reason, people like to do this. Atheism is not a pessimistic view by any means. It just is.
    Sure, I don't think that atheists are pessimists, but I do think their worldview has implications that depress me. To you guys, it's just reality, it's not pessimism. You're not gonna warp what your take on reality just so you feel better. I always thought the angry atheist thing was a stupid attempt to discredit an atheistic worldview, by painting non-believers as moody adolescents.

George Harrison was fond of saying that if you haven't had a religious experience you shouldn't just will yourself to become a believer. I think, more specifically he said:

"It's better to be an outspoken atheist, than a religious hypocrite."

I think most atheists are just trying to live honestly, and I admire that.

Enneagram
    9w8

It is difficult to sum up one's spiritual beliefs in an internet post. Still, I find myself responding to this post. Why? I don't know. I guess I just want to put my two cents worth in, because somebody opened the forum and I thought maybe they'd like to know.

I am Native American. Spirituality isn't something you can sum up or argue on a random internet post, at least not in my opinion. No matter how I would try to express my beliefs, short of a novel length monologue, it would still not come out "right" in a way that would cause people to understand. Sacred things would end up being sold as souvenirs and our ceremonies would end up looking like some kind of New Age knock off.

To us, spirituality isn't something you can measure or quantify. It's a life way. I'm from a culture that believes the spirit worlds and natural world exists right alongside each other. We believe in what can only be described as other dimensions and that one can't go from this dimension into the spirit dimension while inhabiting a flesh body. Having said that, I, like many (not all) Cherokee people, am also a follower of Jesus.
    A student said to his master: "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?" The master replied: "It is better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war." - unknown/Chinese

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=61024&page=14

Come on guys, Christianity is winning!!!

Quote Originally Posted by yeghor View Post
    Come on guys, Christianity is winning!!!
    But not against the combined powers of irreligion!