• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Religious\Spiritual Beliefs

Your belief?

• Christianity

Votes: 21 36.8%
  • Judaism

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Islam

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Buddhism

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hinduism

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Agnosticism

Votes: 12 21.1%
  • Atheism

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • Unitarian-Universalism

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • Paganism\Wiccanism

• Shamanism

• Satanism

Votes: 3 5.3%

• Total voters

Mole

Permabanned
I myself have never been put in any kind of a trance or have tried to entrance others. That's not something that my organization practices or condones. I mean that’s really out there lol

Speaking in tongues is a form of trance induction.

All religions use trance to put the critical mind to sleep, to make us suggestible, and then introduce their particular beliefs.

iNtrovert

MBTI Type
Ni
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Speaking in tongues is a form of trance induction.

All religions use trance to put the critical mind to sleep, to make us suggestible, and then introduce their particular beliefs.

Yea.. I really don't think you know what you're talking aout. I never needed to speak in tounges to believe anything. Most people speak in tounges after they believe not before. Also I've left the church for a number of years and claimed to be agnostic after speaking. If tounges are a trance that lead to belife then I don't see how any of the above would be possible. I really don't find you at all credible on the topic.You don't know enough about my doctrine to comment.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What is a Pentecostal Catholic? I was unaware you could be both Pentecostal and catholic .Pentecostal is from my understanding a doctrine of oneness and Catholic is based on a belief in the trinity. Anyway it sucks that you had that experience. I myself have never been put in any kind of a trance or have tried to entrance others. That's not something that my organization practices or condones. I mean that’s really out there lol
I was raised Catholic and never heard of "Pentacostal Catholics". We did have groups within parishes who were called "Charismatic", and celebrated Mass in a much more emotional and spontaneous way than the rest of the parish. Not sure if that trend has persisted.

grey_beard

The Typing Tabby
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Pentecostal catholics have been around for quite a time now. They derive from the pentecost where the holy spirit appeared as tongues of fire to the apostles and they began speaking in tongues.

So today pentecostal catholics speak in tongues and their services are more emotional than others.

[MENTION=3325]Mole[/MENTION] --

You need to re-read 1 Corinthians about earnestly desiring the higher gifts.

iNtrovert

MBTI Type
Ni
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I was raised Catholic and never heard of "Pentacostal Catholics". We did have groups within parishes who were called "Charismatic", and celebrated Mass in a much more emotional and spontaneous way than the rest of the parish. Not sure if that trend has persisted.

Ahh I see. So much more to do with the overal type of services not their doctrine as [MENTION=3325]Mole[/MENTION] would lead me to believe?

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ahh I see. So much more to do with the overal type of services not their doctrine as [MENTION=3325]Mole[/MENTION] would lead me to believe?
Yes, the groups I knew differed mainly in worship style/focus. I suppose there might have been some doctrine regarding what is required or permitted as part of Mass, where they might have pushed the envelope, but their beliefs were generally mainstream, and they were well accepted in the parishes, not viewed as fringe or deviant.

If there really is a group called "Pentacostal Catholics", however, my comments don't apply to them.

Mole

Permabanned
If there really is a group called "Pentacostal Catholics", however, my comments don't apply to them.

In Canberra we have had an active group for the past 40 years. They are sometimes called charismatic catholics, and sometimes called pentecostal catholics.
And although their doctrine is conservative catholic, their style of worship is more emotional and they speak in tongues. And they are called pentecostal catholics because they speak in tongues, just as the apostles spoke in tongues on the first pentecost.
Frankly I don't like them because they are anti-intellectual. And I believe they get around immigration laws by claiming religious exemption. And I believe they are highly manipulative without integrity.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In Canberra we have had an active group for the past 40 years. They are sometimes called charismatic catholics, and sometimes called pentecostal catholics.
And although their doctrine is conservative catholic, their style of worship is more emotional and they speak in tongues. And they are called pentecostal catholics because they speak in tongues, just as the apostles spoke in tongues on the first pentecost.
Frankly I don't like them because they are anti-intellectual. And I believe they get around immigration laws by claiming religious exemption. And I believe they are highly manipulative without integrity.
If they are sometimes called "Charismatic", they might be the same group. I never had any patience with them, but then have little patience for the church as a whole now.

Carbarrawr

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
Devout Christian (uncommon for ENTPs, or so I've heard.) I have a relationship with God and also see the logic in his existence. I can't really put myself into a denomination, though, other than Protestant. I'm not very traditional -- I believe you can be an extremely devout Christian without attending church, for example -- and view the religion less as a religion in the traditional sense and more as a relationship and a way to live my life -- to love God, people, and myself. My motto religiously and just throughout every area of my life would be John 15:12: "My command is this: love each other as I have first loved you." :)

wildflower

i am a follower of jesus. love God. love others. i also believe in all the wild stuff in the gospels but in as lowkey a way as possible. help the poor, preach the word, pray for healing, hear from God, cast out demons. yup, the whole enchilada but use your brain. that isn't optional. sadly, the church in the western world is a largely a mess. if i hadn't had a supernatural encounter with God i probably wouldn't have much interest in it all. but i did and He is everything. :wubbie: