User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Jung View Post
    She is, in fact, dead, but her familial narrative lives on, and it is a lie. That's all. I don't like that everyone in my family nods sagely and goes: she finally realized what an old fuddy duddy she was being and did the Right Thing. Praise Jesus. It creeps me out. I feel that the story that a person leaves behind is very important, and I don't like it being compromised. I know that it doesn't change what really happened (whatever that was), but it's still a shame.

I'll get over it, but I'm not about to dismiss my feelings just yet. I don't think I should just let people do that a dying person, because: aw shucks, they're just bags of decomposing flesh, anyway.
    It's like when people die, there's this innate fear, if they've been doing the wrong thing in life that they're fucked. And so they try to make themeselves look good in the eyes of the family, and perhaps sometimes they do have a change of heart but not that close to death. And so no one wants to be remembered as an asshole, but some people need to be. I hate no matter what you did in life as long as you're not some like hitler or a murderer you become the best person in the world once you're dead. it's not right
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    It's like when people die, there's this innate fear, if they've been doing the wrong thing in life that they're fucked. And so they try to make themeselves look good in the eyes of the family, and perhaps sometimes they do have a change of heart but not that close to death. And so no one wants to be remembered as an asshole, but some people need to be. I hate no matter what you did in life as long as you're not some like hitler or a murderer you become the best person in the world once you're dead. it's not right
    Yeah, you get me. I totally agree.

For all of Orson Scott Card's faults, I liked this concept he put in Ender's Game of having Speakers for the Dead at funerals. These people tell true stories without hiding any faults or pretending any virtues, but do so in an empathetic, non-judgemental way.

MBTI
    yupp

Yeah, you get me. I totally agree.

For all of Orson Scott Card's faults, I liked this concept he put in Ender's Game of having Speakers for the Dead at funerals. These people tell true stories without hiding any faults or pretending any virtues, but do so in an empathetic, non-judgemental way.
    yes, yes, yes.never read the ender's game I have it. I should do that.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

Enneagram

yes, yes, yes.never read the ender's game I have it. I should do that.
    It's worth a read

MBTI
    yupp

It's worth a read
    I believe you (that's not sarcasm)
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

Enneagram

I believe you (that's not sarcasm)
    I trust you, you're pretty straightforward!

MBTI
    yupp

I trust you, you're pretty straightforward!
    I know, I got accused of being passive aggressive. Because I said my opinion of someone lowered. I mean it was the truth. that's not passive agressive.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    ENTP

My gut response is anger. At the same time, though, it might have offered her peace of mind in her last moments, and the priest/her daughter probably had the best intentions. I would worry more about its influence on other possible believers; if a devout atheist changed her mind on the brink of death, she must have seen something they don't, right?

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by solipsists View Post
    My gut response is anger. At the same time, though, it might have offered her peace of mind in her last moments, and the priest/her daughter probably had the best intentions. I would worry more about its influence on other possible believers; if a devout atheist changed her mind on the brink of death, she must have seen something they don't, right?
    most people aren't devout atheist, put them in a dangerous situation that brings them close to death 9 out of 10 times they'll pray and ask god to save them. I'm not saying everyone's like this. but most of the people I've met that have been in such a situation has said fox hole prayers. I know this wasn't your point, I just felt like it
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    ENTP

most people aren't devout atheist, put them in a dangerous situation that brings them close to death 9 out of 10 times they'll pray and ask god to save them. I'm not saying everyone's like this. but most of the people I've met that have been in such a situation has said fox hole prayers. I know this wasn't your point, I just felt like it
    It's reasonable, the drive for security is universal. Obviously I can't predict this, but I highly doubt I will do anything other than stare off in my last moments, and though it wouldn't affect me, being dead, the thought of my belief system being posthumously twisted is a little enraging.