User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 54

  1. #11
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,772

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Jung View Post
    She is, in fact, dead, but her familial narrative lives on, and it is a lie. That's all. I don't like that everyone in my family nods sagely and goes: she finally realized what an old fuddy duddy she was being and did the Right Thing. Praise Jesus. It creeps me out. I feel that the story that a person leaves behind is very important, and I don't like it being compromised. I know that it doesn't change what really happened (whatever that was), but it's still a shame.

    I'll get over it, but I'm not about to dismiss my feelings just yet. I don't think I should just let people do that a dying person, because: aw shucks, they're just bags of decomposing flesh, anyway.
    It's like when people die, there's this innate fear, if they've been doing the wrong thing in life that they're fucked. And so they try to make themeselves look good in the eyes of the family, and perhaps sometimes they do have a change of heart but not that close to death. And so no one wants to be remembered as an asshole, but some people need to be. I hate no matter what you did in life as long as you're not some like hitler or a murderer you become the best person in the world once you're dead. it's not right
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so

  2. #12
    Senior Member Forever_Jung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    2,340

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    It's like when people die, there's this innate fear, if they've been doing the wrong thing in life that they're fucked. And so they try to make themeselves look good in the eyes of the family, and perhaps sometimes they do have a change of heart but not that close to death. And so no one wants to be remembered as an asshole, but some people need to be. I hate no matter what you did in life as long as you're not some like hitler or a murderer you become the best person in the world once you're dead. it's not right
    Yeah, you get me. I totally agree.

    For all of Orson Scott Card's faults, I liked this concept he put in Ender's Game of having Speakers for the Dead at funerals. These people tell true stories without hiding any faults or pretending any virtues, but do so in an empathetic, non-judgemental way.

  3. #13
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,772

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Jung View Post
    Yeah, you get me. I totally agree.

    For all of Orson Scott Card's faults, I liked this concept he put in Ender's Game of having Speakers for the Dead at funerals. These people tell true stories without hiding any faults or pretending any virtues, but do so in an empathetic, non-judgemental way.
    yes, yes, yes.never read the ender's game I have it. I should do that.
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so

  4. #14
    Senior Member Forever_Jung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    2,340

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    yes, yes, yes.never read the ender's game I have it. I should do that.
    It's worth a read

  5. #15
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,772

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Jung View Post
    It's worth a read
    I believe you (that's not sarcasm)
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so

  6. #16
    Senior Member Forever_Jung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    2,340

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I believe you (that's not sarcasm)
    I trust you, you're pretty straightforward!

  7. #17
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,772

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Jung View Post
    I trust you, you're pretty straightforward!
    I know, I got accused of being passive aggressive. Because I said my opinion of someone lowered. I mean it was the truth. that's not passive agressive.
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so

  8. #18
    Senior Member Opal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    1,454

    Default

    My gut response is anger. At the same time, though, it might have offered her peace of mind in her last moments, and the priest/her daughter probably had the best intentions. I would worry more about its influence on other possible believers; if a devout atheist changed her mind on the brink of death, she must have seen something they don't, right?

  9. #19
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,772

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by solipsists View Post
    My gut response is anger. At the same time, though, it might have offered her peace of mind in her last moments, and the priest/her daughter probably had the best intentions. I would worry more about its influence on other possible believers; if a devout atheist changed her mind on the brink of death, she must have seen something they don't, right?
    most people aren't devout atheist, put them in a dangerous situation that brings them close to death 9 out of 10 times they'll pray and ask god to save them. I'm not saying everyone's like this. but most of the people I've met that have been in such a situation has said fox hole prayers. I know this wasn't your point, I just felt like it
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so

  10. #20
    Senior Member Opal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    1,454

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    most people aren't devout atheist, put them in a dangerous situation that brings them close to death 9 out of 10 times they'll pray and ask god to save them. I'm not saying everyone's like this. but most of the people I've met that have been in such a situation has said fox hole prayers. I know this wasn't your point, I just felt like it
    It's reasonable, the drive for security is universal. Obviously I can't predict this, but I highly doubt I will do anything other than stare off in my last moments, and though it wouldn't affect me, being dead, the thought of my belief system being posthumously twisted is a little enraging.

Similar Threads

  1. The morality of killing
    By labyrinthine in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-01-2017, 05:48 AM
  2. [NT] the morality of NTs
    By ThatGirl in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 102
    Last Post: 01-24-2014, 01:41 AM
  3. What is the Association of Efficiency with Morality?
    By coberst in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-02-2009, 09:54 AM
  4. The founder of Italian Communism had deathbed conversion
    By Sniffles in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 01-12-2009, 09:23 AM
  5. The art of having conversations
    By Maverick in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 03-09-2008, 05:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO