• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What kind of person are you working towards becoming?

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I've been reading Epictetus, and this kind of stuff is on my mind. The discussion is pretty open to anything, but here are some prompts if you need any ideas:

Do you have a clear picture of who you want to become?
Do you have any role models you seek to emulate?
Do you keep a journal to monitor your progress?
Are you happy with your progress thus far?

Ukon

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This topic makes me a very happy person.

I'm aiming to better myself in ways I previously thought were unobtainable by an INTP. I mean, I'm a very logical, rational, honest person, but I'm often labeled as INFP because I'm very emotional, too. I use logic and rational thinking to sail through my sea of emotions, but sometimes the ship sinks. I used to believe the world was black and white, in a roundabout, awkward way. I myself have never been black or white, I'm quite the grey person. But I had an all-or-nothing viewpoint for my entire teenage years. Either I exercise 10 times a week for 3 hours each time, or I don't exercise at all. These shortcomings in particular lead to me being anorexic.

But, now that I'm older and healthier, I can recognize all the flaws within me. I could before, but now I know how to change. I also know how to accept myself and love myself, and realize I can't be perfect and don't desire to be. I just want to overcome the more serious of flaws. If I truly desire something, nothing can stop me from attaining my goal. I get that to some this level of stubbornness can be very off putting, but I use it for good. It must run in the family because my sister who has Asperger's has fought like hell to overcome her social anxiety and other autism related issues. Not even 2 years ago, if you told her to talk on the phone, she'd cry and run away and wouldn't come out from her room. But now, she can easily talk to me. Not only that, but my dad said she can comfortably make polite conversation when the situation calls for it, and she no longer speaks in a super quiet, timid voice. She's grown confident, and to me that is the kind of person I'm working towards becoming. I want to not only be proud of my sister and I's accomplishments when it comes to training ourselves to be better people, but I also want to continue being able to explore the world and explore viewpoints--some which may conflict with my own, and that's okay.

And yes, I realize not all life lessons can be taught to yourself. ;) I'm very aware. Nonetheless, I've taught myself a lot, and it's one of my favorite things to do--to sit in my thoughts, argue with myself, and suddenly have an A-ha! moment.

First thing I want to work on is to not go off on tangents so damn much.

Comeback Girl

Ratchet Ass Moon Fairy
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Me, but more awesome. There's not that much about my personality I'd like to change that I can think of. I don't have much of a clear plan for the future, but I'm thinking about working with adolescents with a low SES or a troubled home and make sure they stay out of trouble. I'd like to help solve problems our society has to deal with everyday. As for myself... My dream is to travel a lot, have a boat and keep three Siamese cats and some tarantulas as pets. I always hoped I'd also end up with a nice guy and have three or for kids with him, but I gave up on that, because it's unrealistic (too much competition).

No.

Unless you count the bullshit I post on social media as a journal, nope.

I guess.

L

LadyLazarus

Cool thread idea.:D

1.Do you have a clear picture of who you want to become?
I'm not good with specifics, but I know I want to become a good woman, a woman who is strong enough in herself and knows wrong from right among other things, so I've got the gist of it down.

2.Do you have any role models you seek to emulate?
No. I never want to be someone I'm not plus I've never been one for the whole role model thing, I hate being compared to others for the most part.

3.Do you keep a journal to monitor your progress?
Nope.

4.Are you happy with your progress thus far?
Yes, I feel like I've gained a lot of perspective and strength since becoming an "adult", I feel like I am building a good starting point within myself to grow into my potential.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

No, not at all, and I'm adamantly against forming a picture of what I want to become. I like to think of my personal growth as actualizing who I am, which is a process of revelation, not prescription.

In very abstract terms, I just went through a cycle of self exploration, and now I'm steering into self-expression.

I find the most admirable thing about anybody is courage and curiosity and openness, which to me is epitomized by Richard Francis Burton.

Nah, I just pick a direction and go, go, go. I do think back often about where I was a year ago, 5 years ago, 3 months ago...

YES.

Stephano

Almöhi
MBTI Type
NFP
I'd say yes. I'm working towards becoming a composer and I'm going to do an education after I left high school.

Hans Zimmer

No.

Not really. I'm currently stuck in a dissatisfying state of life (All work, no play).

midnight rambler

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8

Yes, I have a pretty good idea. I want to better myself in all way I can and I want to make my dreams reality some day.

Of course I do. Hannibal Lector, Henry Hill from Goodfellas, The Joker, Jack Nicholson from the shining.
In all seriousness though, I like to read about people who accomplished great things and try and take away lessons about them.

No

Are you happy with your progress so far?

yea, i'm pretty happy. I'm slowly getting where i want to be.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Oh sorry dudes, I totally forgot about this thread after it got no replies for a few days. I should probably subscribe to my own threads! Thanks for weighing in.

Cool thread idea.:D

1.Do you have a clear picture of who you want to become?
I'm not good with specifics, but I know I want to become a good woman, a woman who is strong enough in herself and knows wrong from right among other things, so I've got the gist of it down.

Yeah I'm kind of the same way, but some people claim to have a very clear picture of their future. My vision is more like: just be better, make wiser choices, live authentically.

2.Do you have any role models you seek to emulate?
No. I never want to be someone I'm not plus I've never been one for the whole role model thing, I hate being compared to others for the most part.

Your Fi is showing! While I know what you're saying, I personally think it's important to have concrete models to work off of. You don't have to become that person, but they give you a picture of what qualities you might want to embody, it doesn't mean you're not your own person. When Bob Dylan first started out, he was basically a Woody Guthrie impersonator, and then blossomed into one of the most original and influential musicians of the 20th century. Influences give you a solid foundation on which to build your own unique life. That's just my opinion though, not telling you to go out there and deliberately find a role model. :blush:

4.Are you happy with your progress thus far?
Yes, I feel like I've gained a lot of perspective and strength since becoming an "adult", I feel like I am building a good starting point within myself to grow into my potential.

Glad to hear it :)

This topic makes me a very happy person.

I'm aiming to better myself in ways I previously thought were unobtainable by an INTP. I mean, I'm a very logical, rational, honest person, but I'm often labeled as INFP because I'm very emotional, too. I use logic and rational thinking to sail through my sea of emotions, but sometimes the ship sinks. I used to believe the world was black and white, in a roundabout, awkward way. I myself have never been black or white, I'm quite the grey person. But I had an all-or-nothing viewpoint for my entire teenage years. Either I exercise 10 times a week for 3 hours each time, or I don't exercise at all. These shortcomings in particular lead to me being anorexic.

But, now that I'm older and healthier, I can recognize all the flaws within me. I could before, but now I know how to change. I also know how to accept myself and love myself, and realize I can't be perfect and don't desire to be. I just want to overcome the more serious of flaws. If I truly desire something, nothing can stop me from attaining my goal. I get that to some this level of stubbornness can be very off putting, but I use it for good. It must run in the family because my sister who has Asperger's has fought like hell to overcome her social anxiety and other autism related issues. Not even 2 years ago, if you told her to talk on the phone, she'd cry and run away and wouldn't come out from her room. But now, she can easily talk to me. Not only that, but my dad said she can comfortably make polite conversation when the situation calls for it, and she no longer speaks in a super quiet, timid voice. She's grown confident, and to me that is the kind of person I'm working towards becoming. I want to not only be proud of my sister and I's accomplishments when it comes to training ourselves to be better people, but I also want to continue being able to explore the world and explore viewpoints--some which may conflict with my own, and that's okay.

And yes, I realize not all life lessons can be taught to yourself. ;) I'm very aware. Nonetheless, I've taught myself a lot, and it's one of my favorite things to do--to sit in my thoughts, argue with myself, and suddenly have an A-ha! moment.

First thing I want to work on is to not go off on tangents so damn much.

lol@tangents comment. Aside from the lulz though, this was a very nice story. It sounds like you (and your sister) have put a lot of mileage on your developmental odometer already! I also like to sit and argue with myself until I have an epiphany, so I related a lot to your post, maybe you're more INFP than you think :newwink:

Me, but more awesome.

:D

There's not that much about my personality I'd like to change that I can think of. I don't have much of a clear plan for the future, but I'm thinking about working with adolescents with a low SES or a troubled home and make sure they stay out of trouble. I'd like to help solve problems our society has to deal with everyday. As for myself... My dream is to travel a lot, have a boat and keep three Siamese cats and some tarantulas as pets. I always hoped I'd also end up with a nice guy and have three or for kids with him, but I gave up on that, because it's unrealistic (too much competition).

Too much competition for nice guys? Haven't you been on Reddit, they're full of "nice guys" that get passed over by women. :newwink:

All kidding aside, that sounds like a nice life, I wouldn't give up on it yet! I would probably be slightly concerned about having small children, siamese cats and tarantulas all on the same boat though...:unsure: /e6 problems

No, not at all, and I'm adamantly against forming a picture of what I want to become. I like to think of my personal growth as actualizing who I am, which is a process of revelation, not prescription.

In very abstract terms, I just went through a cycle of self exploration, and now I'm steering into self-expression.

I find the most admirable thing about anybody is courage and curiosity and openness, which to me is epitomized by Richard Francis Burton.

Nah, I just pick a direction and go, go, go. I do think back often about where I was a year ago, 5 years ago, 3 months ago...

YES.

Wow, this is such an ENFP response :D Not that it wasn't unique, and your own take, but you know...

I know you said "in abstract terms", but what does this mean in concrete terms? How does your self-expression manifest itself?

I'd say yes. I'm working towards becoming a composer and I'm going to do an education after I left high school.

This is so COOL!

Hans Zimmer

I love that guy, I didn't realize it, until someone pointed out all the scores he has done.

No.

Nobody does these days :D

Not really. I'm currently stuck in a dissatisfying state of life (All work, no play).

Aww...well stick it out! Just because your work isn't fun, doesn't mean you're not progressing towards enjoyment. Everyone has to pay their dues, you'll make it! Still, that doesn't help you right now....

Of course I do. Hannibal Lector, Henry Hill from Goodfellas, The Joker, Jack Nicholson from the shining.

Nice choices. :wink: You'll be a model citizen in no time!

In all seriousness though, I like to read about people who accomplished great things and try and take away lessons about them.

Are we talking like Napoleon, or do you mean great things in a more grounded sense like? What kind of great achievers have you learned the most from?

Are you happy with your progress so far?

yea, i'm pretty happy. I'm slowly getting where i want to be.

Good!

Anyway, thanks for sharing everyone!

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Do you have a clear picture of who you want to become? yes, but rather not go into details

Do you have any role models you seek to emulate? No
Do you keep a journal to monitor your progress? No but I have a plan written out (my mom helped me, so I can't take full credit)
Are you happy with your progress thus far? Overall, though there have been set backs

Comeback Girl

Ratchet Ass Moon Fairy
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Too much competition for nice guys? Haven't you been on Reddit, they're full of "nice guys" that get passed over by women. :newwink:

So calles 'nice guys' usually aren't nice at all. I'd rather stay a spinster for the rest of my life than enter a relationship with someone who isn't nice out of pure desperation. Heck, I'm even too un-desperate for Tinder!

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
So calles 'nice guys' usually aren't nice at all. I'd rather stay a spinster for the rest of my life than enter a relationship with someone who isn't nice out of pure desperation. Heck, I'm even too un-desperate for Tinder!

Haha I know, I was trying to be tongue-in-cheek. :)

I don't really get Tinder, is it like a sex thing or a dating thing? Or both? :unsure:

MBTI Type
ENFP
Do you have a clear picture of who you want to become? Yes, and No? I want to be more like an ENFJ figure if that makes sense? I want to not care as much but care towards areas of my life that really need it. But I love new topics and debates, so that is nearly impossible for me. I want to be more selfless and care about important necessities for myself ex: kindness, empathy, not being vain, intelligence, learning. once again this is very hard because I'm naturally selfish and an only child and I'll do anything for a thrill. I'm in dual enrollment right now, so i'm in highschool taking college classes. I just picked my major to be psychology. But I would love to be some sort of spirtual counselor BUT I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO DO THAT. duuuuuurp.

Shit, my mother's ENFJ bitch side sometimes when she doesn't care about the people she's offending. that would be nice, but I still confront people...but feel very anxious and sad afterwards. and how diligent she is with getting work done even if she doesn't enjoy it she find some inner ambition. and that is VERY hard for me to do :/... I think out of all the types ENFJS are my favorite but also anger me the most.
Do you keep a journal to monitor your progress? Yes! I just finished my first one I was working on for 3 years. and now i'm on to my second one. I don't write everyday, but I want too.
Yes, I've came from a dark place in the last 2 years. there is a lot I want to do, like get a job and my driving permit. but I get so stressed by everything. thinking about the effort is what stops me from doing it.

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Yes, I do - and for that to become reality, I often remind myself of the optimism and sense of wonder for the world that I've had since childhood. :)

My mom. She's a graceful yet strong person, doesn't take anyone's crap, and almost always seems to know what to do in tough situations. :heart:

Right now, I'm keeping a (mostly) private blog on here, so that it helps me sort out my priorities, thoughts and feelings as I go about my day.

I suppose. :) I've only just started, but I have a good feeling I'll be able to reach my goals if I keep moving forward.

Stephano

Almöhi
MBTI Type
NFP
This is so COOL!

Thx ;)

Hans Zimmer
I love that guy, I didn't realize it, until someone pointed out all the scores he has done.

Really?! What would you consider your favorite score by him? I tend towards Sherlock Holmes and At World's End. :)

Aww...well stick it out! Just because your work isn't fun, doesn't mean you're not progressing towards enjoyment. Everyone has to pay their dues, you'll make it! Still, that doesn't help you right now....

Thx, that helped! I try to learn from every experience. Everything has something positive about it, although you might not see it at first. ;)