User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sp

Default Paranormal things: Do you believe in them?

Everyone has probably read or heard a ghost story, but how many of you really dealt with such paranormal events in a way that a certain statement can be given on it.
    Some people dismiss it as nonsense or fraud, but how can one be completely sure about it?
    It's hard for me to believe in ghosts or any possible afterlife since so many mental conditions are influenced by hormones produced in the body and the condition of one's brain (Alzheimer, etc.). Most scientists don't even recognize such phenomenas nor do they care about them.
    I can understand this view since many happenings in alleged haunted places could be explained with things like low-frequent vibes and cold air flows, but why is it that even highly respected people like Jung report encounters with poltergeists multiple times? The explanations are just missing. The problem is that methodical science doesn't work in these fields anymore. You can't measure a paranormal event nor can you get any reliable empirical data from investigations and thus it leaves the topic over for esoterics and spiritualists.

To come back to the actual question, do you believe in any kind of paranormal things? I've read into the topic a bit recently and it's crazy what stuff people tell on the internet.

Here's an excerpt from an article about Jung's encounters with ghosts. http://www.forteantimes.com/features...f_cg_jung.html

TABLES AND KNIVES
    Jung’s mother was involved in at least two well-known paranormal experiences that are recounted in practically every book about him. Sitting in his room studying, Carl suddenly heard a loud bang coming from the dining room. He rushed in and found his mother startled. The round walnut table had cracked from the edge past the centre. The split didn’t follow any joint, but had passed through solid wood. Drying wood couldn’t account for it; the table was 70 years old and it was a humid day. Jung thought: “There certainly are curious accidents.” As if she was reading his mind Emilie replied in her ‘other’ voice: “Yes, yes, that means something.” Two weeks later came a second incident. Returning home in the evening, Jung found an excited household. An hour earlier there had been another loud crack, this time coming from a large sideboard. No one had any idea what had produced it. Jung inspected the sideboard. Inside, where they kept the bread, he found a loaf and the bread knife. The knife had shattered into several pieces, all neatly arranged in the breadbasket. The knife had been used earlier for tea, but no one had touched it nor opened the cupboard since. When he took the knife to a cutler, he was told that there was no fault in the steel and that someone must have broken it on purpose. He kept the shattered knife for the rest of his life, and years later sent a photograph of it to psychical researcher JB Rhine.
    4w3 - 7w6 - 1w9 : The Idealist

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I don't like the word supernatural or paranormal. It implies that there could be things that happen that shouldn't happen. This makes no sense. There may be things that rarely happen, there may even be things that happen that by definition cannot be predicted or reproduced, but this doesn't make them not normal or unnatural.

I've seen odd things. I've experienced ghost-like activity, certain strong premonitions and other effects that seem out of the ordinary but the scientist in me treats them as isolated events. I know they happened, I know there could be several explanations for them, ones that I'll never be able to actually verify due to the sporadic quality of said events and also due to the unreliable information out there from unreliable narrators of similar happenings.

I believe that everything cannot be predicted and explained and accounted for by man and her sciences. But I also believe that those things because of their nature should not be given an undue amount of attention.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    I've seen odd things. I've experienced ghost-like activity, certain strong premonitions and other effects that seem out of the ordinary but the scientist in me treats them as isolated events.
    Interesting, did you feel frightened while they happened? I mean, did you have the feeling you could be harmed or worse? I can't say that I ever had an experience with ghosts or anything similar, so I won't start arguing about it right now. I rather wish I never make this experience.
    I avoid being alone at nights recently, because I feel like I would shit my pants if I heard a noise that I couldn't explain. I hope it doesn't evolve into a phobia, so I'm trying to gain as much knowledge as possible about the topic.

ndovjtjcaqidthi

I have had precognitive dreams before.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Stephano View Post
    Interesting, did you feel frightened while they happened? I mean, did you have the feeling you could be harmed or worse? I can't say that I ever had an experience with ghosts or anything similar, so I won't start arguing about it right now. I rather wish I never make this experience.
    I avoid being alone at nights recently, because I feel like I would shit my pants if I heard a noise that I couldn't explain. I hope it doesn't evolve into a phobia, so I'm trying to gain as much knowledge as possible about the topic.
    Sometimes, yes. For example, we bought my Uncle's house and I was there alone one night and a toothbrush happen to fly out of a toothbrush holder mounted on the wall to the other side of the bathroom, against the tiled wall and into the tub. It'd say it was about 5 or 6 feet of air time. I didn't see it leave the holder, as I was looking at the tiled wall it flew into at the time, but I did see it in the holder before I turned around.

I knew that my Aunt had committed suicide only months before in the house with my Uncle's police force issued firearm. So, I did think about ghosts, and I was frightened for a bit. But there's really no way of tying those events together for sure, and understanding what it means is useless with so many limited facts. All I know is that a toothbrush flew across the room with no explanation. If I admit the possibility of ghosts then I should equally admit the possibility of all kinds of other things: subconsciously initiated telekinetic activity, hallucination, gravitational anomalies, my toothbrush gaining animistic status, pixies masquerading as ghosts, etc.

It's easy to say ghosts, but there's just not enough info, and there never will be for that specific instance. And for the fact that we don't have scientifically verified investigations into any of this, these sorts of things aren't verifiable or reproducible, even if they happen. And this means they shouldn't be planned around. This may not be completely true, but it's by my own reasoning and by my own experience a sane conclusion to come to.

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

i believe in a spiritual realm
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I don't disbelieve. I've had a couple of things happen, dreamed stuff that came true or almost physical feelings of emotions that weren't mine. But I think the human brain is capable of a lot of wild stuff and we still have a lot to learn about it.

Edit: Due to my upbringing, I don't mess around with occult stuff. Intellectually, I know that it's probably superstition, but at a gut and emotional level, I'm not taking any chances.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I don't believe in any.

We are talking about things for which no human being has ever once in history made a confirmable record of, which no human being with a vested interest in the truth of has come forward to confirm in a scientific manner, and which are usually based on something that would run in contradiction with some fundamentally established aspect of science. You could say I don't know it's false for sure, but you can also say that I don't know the earth orbits the sun for sure.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I don't believe in any.

We are talking about things for which no human being has ever once in history made a confirmable record of, which no human being with a vested interest in the truth of has come forward to confirm in a scientific manner, and which are usually based on something that would run in contradiction with some fundamentally established aspect of science. You could say I don't know it's false for sure, but you can also say that I don't know the earth orbits the sun for sure.
    I stated my view, which is mostly that I have experienced unexplainable things, but I'm not comfortable in assigning them as being supernatural for various reasons. Do you think it's possible that there can exist a class of phenomena that by its nature is not reproducible, either by its intermittency, its relationship to the act of observation or even possibly by its own agency?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    I knew that my Aunt had committed suicide only months before in the house with my Uncle's police force issued firearm.
    Wow, I'm sorry for you, that is harsh. The thing is, if hypothetical ghosts were able to move stuff around I wonder why it wouldn't happen more often. Usually such things often happen in some kind of "jinxed" places where people were murdered or committed suicide. I think that's more often than not the reflections of subconscious or conscious fears as a result of a general higher awareness of the environment. They tend to rate any unusual event as something related to something supernatural. In your case it seems to be something really strange btw.
    I think people should be aware of such phenomenas and it shouldn't be swept under the carpet. It's really debatable since many people think these things can happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Nights and Days View Post
    I have had precognitive dreams before.
    That's quite cool. I've heard from people multiple times that they sometimes have a premonition when related persons are about to call them. I never had such an experience to be honest.