User Tag List

First 4567 Last

Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    And the Bronze Age naturally suffers by comparison with Natural Selection, Relativity and Quantum Mechanics.
    Suffers by comparison? Uh hello? Metal weapons, Proto-writing, vastly improved trade by sea--that was one happening era, I tell you!

Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Jung View Post
    Suffers by comparison? Uh hello? Metal weapons, Proto-writing, vastly improved trade by sea--that was one happening era, I tell you!
    Indeed, and in our National Art Gallery we have bronze artworks from the Bronze Age, each worth many millions of dollars.

And indeed there is now controversy over an ancient bronze statue of Shiva being played out in our newspapers and in the electric media as I write.

Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Indeed, and in our National Art Gallery we have bronze artworks from the Bronze Age, each worth many millions of dollars.

And indeed there is now controversy over an ancient bronze statue of Shiva being played out in our newspapers and in the electric media as I write.
    Yeah, I heard about that. The basic idea is that the National Gallery bought the statue from a sketchy dude, with almost no documentation?

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    There's always a choice between being respectful and being disrespectful -- between being civil/courteous and being rude. Usually it's a matter of deciding whether or not you're going to let your anger and resentment get the better of you.
    Who acts as the referee of that?
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Who acts as the referee of that?
    Interesting that you ask that -- I was trying to appeal to our shared Enneatype when I wrote that, but I guess that appeal wasn't type-related enough to work.

Clearly if anyone's the referee, it's you. You can only ever control yourself, and can never truly have control of others. The most efficient and easiest way to avoid conflict is ALWAYS to take the moral high ground and refuse to be goaded or egged on.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Interesting that you ask that -- I was trying to appeal to our shared Enneatype when I wrote that, but I guess that appeal wasn't type-related enough to work.

Clearly if anyone's the referee, it's you. You can only ever control yourself, and can never truly have control of others. The most efficient and easiest way to avoid conflict is ALWAYS to take the moral high ground and refuse to be goaded or egged on.
    But my perception is that to merely expression my beliefs is often cause for conflict. Once that situation arises, one has to ask if avoiding conflict is the best thing to do. Perhaps there is a greater moral imperative than avoiding conflict.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

But my perception is that to merely expression my beliefs is often cause for conflict. Once that situation arises, one has to ask if avoiding conflict is the best thing to do. Perhaps there is a greater moral imperative than avoiding conflict.
    Unless you're talking to someone who is extremely closed-minded, that should not be the case, as long as you're being respectful and civil.

What's the basis for that moral imperative re: expressing your beliefs to Christians? Atheistic evangelism?

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Unless you're talking to someone who is extremely closed-minded, that should not be the case, as long as you're being respectful and civil.

What's the basis for that moral imperative re: expressing your beliefs to Christians? Atheistic evangelism?
    The moral imperative comes from fighting a feeling of marginalization or even full blown oppression that is unfair.

We can compare this to the issue of homosexuality (note that I am not trying to assert that the adversity is necessarily the same as what homosexuals have faced). Homosexuals long encountered, and to an extent still do encounter, a situation in which merely openly pursuing their sexual orientation was a cause for conflict. In that situation it seems reasonable for them to decide that they are willing to cause conflict to change that.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

The moral imperative comes from fighting a feeling of marginalization or even full blown oppression that is unfair.

We can compare this to the issue of homosexuality (note that I am not trying to assert that the adversity is necessarily the same as what homosexuals have faced). Homosexuals long encountered, and to an extent still do encounter, a situation in which merely openly pursuing their sexual orientation was a cause for conflict. In that situation it seems reasonable for them to decide that they are willing to cause conflict to change that.
    Marginalization? Hmm. Maybe this is dependent on what part of the country you're in. Where I've lived, atheists were the opposite of marginalized.

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Marginalization? Hmm. Maybe this is dependent on what part of the country you're in. Where I've lived, atheists were the opposite of marginalized.
    Where would that be?

Most of my life was in rural PA.
    Go to sleep, iguana.