User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Assuming otherwise seems like a subtle attempt to malign one ideology, or more accurately those who subscribe to it.
    Perhaps, yes, which is the entire point you are making in this thread. But I'm an atheist myself to begin with, so it's only natural to have even the slightest, subjective preference.
    Generally, I think people should be ok with everyone else's personal outlook on life, if it's not obtrusive.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by miauwington View Post
    Perhaps, yes, which is the entire point you are making in this thread.
    The popular narrative is that the religious are snarling inbred troglodytes, while athiests are intellectual academic darlings that just want whats best for everyone.

This thread was an effort to clarify that everyone's hands are dirty here.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Just wanted to pop in and say thanks for making this thread. Saw the article on Facebook a while ago, really liked it, and hoped that someone would bring it to TypeC.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by miauwington View Post
    Generally, I think people should be ok with everyone else's personal outlook on life, if it's not obtrusive.
    Some have a totalitarian outlook, some have an authoritarian outlook, some have a democratic outlook, some have an anarchist outlook, and some have a criminal outlook. Some have a paranoid outlook, some have a greedy outlook beyond the dreams of avarice, some have an anti-semitic outlook, some have a jihadi outlook, some have a violent outlook, some have a patriarchal outlook, some have a marxist outlook, and some have a feminist outlook, some have an authoritarian outlook towards child raising, and some have a helping outlook to child raising.

I hardly need point out that these outlooks are not mutually compatible.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by TreeBob View Post
    I think your points above are valid, but if someone is fully atheist then they do not hold a belief system. I don't believe there is no god, there is no god. You may call it semantics, but I don't think about god or any other spiritual what ifs. I don't care to convert anyone to my line of thinking because it isn't a belief system to convert someone to. I suppose maybe there are some weird atheists who think of it like Buddhism as a way of life?

I BELIEVE that anyone who tries to shove religion or atheism down someone throat is a troll. I'm rambling...
    "I don't believe there is no god, there is no god."
    If a believer were to make the analogous statement you'd laugh in their face.
    If personal testimony is invalid, then that applies to yours: and your mere assertion that there is no god
    is no more logically compelling than the believer's assertion.

The problem of course is one of axioms: one has no a priori knowledge of what a world with God "must" look like,
    or what a world without God "must" look like.

So it comes down to various flavors of Pascal's wager and counter lemmas of differing multiplicity.

Unless one allows for the possibility that claims of divine revelation may be true: in which case, how to
    distinguish true from false claims?

...and then it devolves into Flying Spaghetti Monster, showing the insufficiency of standard science and
    the modern day drift into naturalistic metaphysics, to address these questions, because they deal with
    the very philosophical assertions *behind* science.
    "Love never needs time. But friendship always needs time. More and more and more time, up to long past midnight." -- The Crime of Captain Gahagan

Please comment on my johari / nohari pages.

I like the sign I saw in the side of a bus which said, God probably doesn't exist, so we can relax and enjoy ourselves.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    I like the sign I saw in the side of a bus which said, God probably doesn't exist, so we can relax and enjoy ourselves.
    Suggesting that atheism is based on immorality, or on fear. But perfect love casts out fear.

Ever notice that it's the atheists who talk about fear and Hell? The Christians are talking about loyalty to their God, and looking forward to being
    fully reunited with Him.
    "Love never needs time. But friendship always needs time. More and more and more time, up to long past midnight." -- The Crime of Captain Gahagan

Quote Originally Posted by grey_beard View Post
    Suggesting that atheism is based on immorality, or on fear. But perfect love casts out fear.

Ever notice that it's the atheists who talk about fear and Hell? The Christians are talking about loyalty to their God, and looking forward to being
    fully reunited with Him.
    Au contraire, O bearded one, the Christians are constantly talking about their God, who was tortured to death by his Father, as a scapegoat for our sins.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Oh contraire, O bearded one, the Christians are constantly talking about their God, who was tortured to death by his Father, as a scapegoat for our sins.
    Yep. God's whipping boy (literally) so we can be restored to fellowship and SAVED from Hell, no longer having to fear it.

We're offered full amnesty in return for unconditional surrender.

But the atheists spook themselves anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by grey_beard View Post
    Yep. God's whipping boy (literally) so we can be restored to fellowship and SAVED from Hell, no longer having to fear it.

We're offered full amnesty in return for unconditional surrender.

But the atheists spook themselves anyway.
    Are you really prepared to allow a scapegoat to take away the responsibility for your sins?

Anyway scapegoating is an age-old superstition. Do you really believe scapegoating actually works?