• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What are your ethics/morals based on?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Religion, feelings you get, something else?

my morals are based around the premise: "what will help in the long run, not how does this make me feel"

so I'm for killing if it's going to mean the future is gonna have a better outcome than if we let the person live. Because I can't have my feelings getting in the way of progress. That would destroy us.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm not religious, so no to that.

For me it's mostly based on a sense of fairness and justice for all. What produces the best result for the greatest number of people.

Also yes to "what will help in the long run" rather than "how this makes me feel right now"

á´…eparted

passages
What makes the most rational sense, and maximizes the enjoyment and freedom to everyone around. Also while keeping things as fair as possible. The two don't mix well and it will never create a perfect system, but it works well enough. It will always be a balance.

My morals and ethics always start external to myself, and I try to keep myself independent of it as much as possible.

gromit

likes this
I guess I act based around some very basic principles, like being honest and kind, having respect for life, etc.

These are probably at their root derived from how I was raised (childhood religion and the culture of my family/hometown) as well as different experiences with life. But it just feels like a part of me. And, oddly, a part of the world, if that even makes sense.

I wouldn't say I consciously compare situations to the principles in any systematic manner. Something will just either feel "right" or "wrong" usually. If it's a kind of tricky set of circumstances, I would, if possible, discuss with a trusted friend or family member beforehand.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I suppose fairness and equality of opportunity, although I'm fully aware that not all people are created equal or develop equally.

I was raised not to judge people by their physical appearance or their personal beliefs but by how they treat others and the content/substance of their words, and for the most part, I like to think I've carried that into adulthood.

I've tried to reinforce that in my son, but beyond that I am very apprehensive about trying to instill any other values or beliefs in him, no matter how honorable or "right" they might seem.

Noll

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Emotions and an inner knowledge of what's wrong or right, probably incorporated into our culture by christianity long ago and now it's a constant remnant no matter how non-religious I or others are. I use logic sometimes too ... mixed with feelings. Animals have the ability to feel pain, therefore they are equals etc.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
An attempt at understanding, respect and benefit of the doubt for all living beings and their needs, and to lesser extent wants and desires.

Cygnus

Harming another is wrong, therefore we must harm no one.

To have absolute certainty we harm none, we most know all before we act.

We can't know every possibility, so when in doubt, take no action.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Christianity/the Bible, empathy and logic/utilitarianism. :unsure:

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Compassion... trying to take care of everyone and empower everyone to have a fulfilling life.

Mole

Permabanned
Mostly our ethics and morals are taken for granted because we are born into a particular civilization whether it is Indian, Chinese or Western.

A good tertiary education will let us step outside our taken for granted civilized ethics and morals, and see what they are, where they came from. We will be able to analyse our taken for granted morals and ethics, compare them with other moral and ethical systems, we will be able to evaluate them, and integrate them into our world view.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Probably from watching Little House on the Prairie as a kid. It's a good thing Jersey Shore wasn't on TV back then. Oh, and my parents believed in corporal punishment; that probably had something to do with it. I should probably credit my awesome DNA because as far back as I can remember, I was a swell dude.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's mostly cultural for everyone. People are less rational and deliberate than they like to assume.

Eruca

78% me
MBTI Type
INxx
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's mostly cultural for everyone. People are less rational and deliberate than they like to assume.

Good point. I don't think people realize how much of our western morality is represented and/or based on thinkers such as John Stuart Mill; freedom, individualism, utilitarianism etc. As he's pretty much my idol I find plenty to have affinity with in western ethical thought. Apart from that we have the christian influence which i find...less fortunate. :mellow:

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Now that is a difficult question. I'd say that my ethics and morals come from a sentence like this: "A healthy society breeds healthy individuals".

In other words, I try to prioritize the needs of a society over the needs of an individual. I try to see myself and others just as a small piece of a greater machine.
I might also say that the end justifies the means, although one really needs to very certain of the outcome he or she is looking for.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Mostly our ethics and morals are taken for granted because we are born into a particular civilization whether it is Indian, Chinese or Western.

A good tertiary education will let us step outside our taken for granted civilized ethics and morals, and see what they are, where they came from. We will be able to analyse our taken for granted morals and ethics, compare them with other moral and ethical systems, we will be able to evaluate them, and integrate them into our world view.