• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you adhere to the value of 'harm none'?

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Mostly yes, I abide by that, however there are situations where there may be no choice or the harm is caused inadvertently. Exceptions for things like spiders and bugs.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
I live by a code....

Learn to preserve rather than destroy.
Avoid rather than check.
Check rather than hurt.
Hurt rather than maim.
Maim rather than kill,
For all life is precious,
Neither can any be replaced.

I believe that whatever you do to others, good or bad, will come back around to you in one way or another.
So, I seek opportunities to do good, am highly objective, but wouldn't hesitate to defend myself or those in my charge if nescecssary.

inventor

MBTI Type
INFX
Enneagram
Yes I believe in this value, I'm not good at following it though, but I'm trying.

á´…eparted

passages
Pretty much yeah. I don't want impede unfairly on others, and I watch so that I don't. If I harm someone, it's usually on accident.

The only time I will harm someone (and not give a shit at all), is if someone is expressing complete and total ignorance and refusal to look at fact, or if someone imposes harm with malicious intent behind it. In both of those cases, I can get really nasty and will not back down until they stop, cave, change, or I am forced to stop for whatever reason.

á´…eparted

passages
Spiders are evil so it's ok :D

I think I am the only person that actually really likes spiders :D. I think they're cool. When I was a kid I used to catch crickets and stuff then drop them in the funnel web spider webs to feed them and watch them eat (I grew up in New Jersey, they're not the super deadly ones). It was fun. If I see one in my apartment I'll usually put a bowl over it and take it outside.

I seriously roll my eyes when I see someone have a hissy fit over one. It's just a goddamn spider... the dramatics aren't needed.

Of course though, I don't want them crawling all over me!

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Spiders are evil so it's ok :D
Spiders are good - they go after the other bugs. So leave them all alone, and they will take care of themselves.

Mole

Permabanned
Of course I harm the enemies of liberal democracy.

Not to mention the Weasels and the Stoats.

G

Ginkgo

I adhere to the Do-what-I-think-is-right principle, which is a quasi-casuist approach to morality. My inner book of rules is too complex and convoluted to be synthesized into a handful of simple principles. Nevertheless, it is this book that I follow. But since it is always with me, and since I trust my ability to properly grasp a situation posing a moral decision, I also trust that I can make the right decision in a rather ad-hoc fashion.

Obviously, there are situations in which harming others is justified.
^

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I am feeling pithy:

In the terms of an unconscious we can hardly know what harm we have or have not done.

Mole

Permabanned
The Wild Wood

You people, you people, have never been lost in the Wild Wood, and have never been scared out of your skin by the Weasels and the Stoats, otherwise you would feel the same as I do.

So read and shiver in your boots -

It was a cold, still afternoon with a hard, steely sky overhead, when Mole slipped out of the warm parlour into the open air. The country lay bare and entirely leafless around him, and he thought that he had never seen so far and so intimately into the insides of things as on that winter day when Nature was deep in her annual slumber and seemed to have kicked the clothes off. Copses, dells, quarries, and all hidden places, which had been mysterious mines for exploration in leafy summer, now exposed themselves and their secrets pathetically, and seemed to ask him to overlook their shabby poverty for a while, till they could riot in rich masquerade as before, and trick and entice him with the old deceptions. It was pitiful in a way, and yet cheering—even exhilarating. He was glad that he liked the country undecorated, hard, and stripped of its finery. He had got down to the bare bones of it, and they were fine and strong and simple. He did not want the warm clover and the play of seeding grasses; the screens of quickset, the billowy drapery of beech and elm seemed best away; and with great cheerfulness of spirit he pushed on towards the Wild Wood, which lay before him low and threatening, like a black reef in some still southern sea.

There was nothing to alarm him at first entry. Twigs crackled under his feet, logs tripped him, funguses on stumps resembled caricatures, and startled him for the moment by their likeness to something familiar and far away; but that was all fun, and exciting. It led him on, and he penetrated to where the light was less, and trees crouched nearer and nearer, and holes made ugly mouths at him on either side.

Everything was very still now. The dusk advanced on him steadily, rapidly, gathering in behind and before; and the light seemed to be draining away like flood-water.

Then the faces began.

It was over his shoulder, and indistinctly, that he first thought he saw a face, a little, evil, wedge-shaped face, looking out at him from a hole. When he turned and confronted it, the thing had vanished.

He quickened his pace, telling himself cheerfully not to begin imagining things or there would be simply no end to it. He passed another hole, and another, and another; and then—yes!—no!—yes! certainly a little, narrow face, with hard eyes, had flashed up for an instant from a hole, and was gone. He hesitated—braced himself up for an effort and strode on. Then suddenly, and as if it had been so all the time, every hole, far and near, and there were hundreds of them, seemed to possess its face, coming and going rapidly, all fixing on him glances of malice and hatred: all hard-eyed and evil and sharp.

If he could only get away from the holes in the banks, he thought, there would be no more faces. He swung off the path and plunged into the untrodden places of the wood.

Then the whistling began.

Very faint and shrill it was, and far behind him, when first he heard it; but somehow it made him hurry forward. Then, still very faint and shrill, it sounded far ahead of him, and made him hesitate and want to go back. As he halted in indecision it broke out on either side, and seemed to be caught up and passed on throughout the whole length of the wood to its farthest limit. They were up and alert and ready, evidently, whoever they were! And he—he was alone, and unarmed, and far from any help; and the night was closing in.

Then the pattering began.

He thought it was only falling leaves at first, so slight and delicate was the sound of it. Then as it grew it took a regular rhythm, and he knew it for nothing else but the pat-pat-pat of little feet still a very long way off. Was it in front or behind? It seemed to be first one, and then the other, then both. It grew and it multiplied, till from every quarter as he listened anxiously, leaning this way and that, it seemed to be closing in on him. As he stood still to hearken, a rabbit came running hard towards him through the trees. He waited, expecting it to slacken pace or to swerve from him into a different course. Instead, the animal almost brushed him as it dashed past, his face set and hard, his eyes staring. "Get out of this, you fool, get out!" the Mole heard him mutter as he swung round a stump and disappeared down a friendly burrow.

The pattering increased till it sounded like sudden hail on the dry leaf-carpet spread around him. The whole wood seemed running now, running hard, hunting, chasing, closing in round something or—somebody? In panic, he began to run too, aimlessly, he knew not whither. He ran up against things, he fell over things and into things, he darted under things and dodged round things. At last he took refuge in the deep, dark hollow of an old beech tree, which offered shelter, concealment—perhaps even safety, but who could tell? Anyhow, he was too tired to run any further, and could only snuggle down into the dry leaves which had drifted into the hollow and hope he was safe for a time. And as he lay there panting and trembling, and listened to the whistlings and the patterings outside, he knew it at last, in all its fulness, that dread thing which other little dwellers in field and hedgerow had encountered here, and known as their darkest moment—that thing which the Rat had vainly tried to shield him from—the Terror of the Wild Wood!

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
The issue with this position is the depth to which one chooses to take the edict and the potential unintended consequences of these choices. The "butterfly effect" basically ensures that no matter what we do on a small scale, there's no way to know what larger scale changes we're effecting down the line. And that's breath-takingly scary to me sometimes.

"Harm none" ...

When someone drives their car on a summer night, there will be hundreds of small bugs stuck dead on the grill.

When someone is kind to a person in a public way, another person viewing that may experience hurt or jealousy.

When you don't recycle, you pollute and waste resources, but when you do recycle, you cause other contaminants to enter the environment from the pick-up and reprocessing of that material.

and so on ...

It's just a very complex thing. :shrug:

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In the terms of an unconscious we can hardly know what harm we have or have not done.

Yeah.

Or, "People know what they do; frequently they know why they do what they do; but what they don't know is what what they do does." While there's still something admirable about someone being attached to this quality as part of their identity (it's a good first step, imo), I think it's probably a very rare thing for a person to know how well they actually adhere to the value of 'do no harm'. At least, especially when it comes to extending this precept to people they aren't especially impressed by, maybe don't like or to people who don't make them feel good.

Mole

Permabanned

Jesus said, Forgive them, they know not what they do.

And Sigmund Freud said, Make the unconscious, conscious.

And by making the unconscious, conscious we discover the harm that has been done to us, and then repressed from consciousness.

And once the our repressed harm has become conscious, we no longer have a need to act it out on surrogate others, particularly on our children.

G

garbage

Well, it's certainly ingrained in us that it's the right and virtuous thing to do. It is what it is.

Maliciousness sucks hardcore. But also, some people have very loose and unreasonable definitions of "being harmed"--such as, say, not receiving a phone call from their oh-so-best-friend every day. I used to cater to even the most ridiculous demands, but the pendulum's swung, the band broke loose, etc. and I don't any more. I'm a recovering people-pleaser.

So, it all washed out in the end; and now I'm kinda neutral with respect to the whole shebang.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Didn't you ever see Arachnophobia? Little fuckers are trying to kill us all!
Nope. Popular culture and I don't generally get along.

Zangetshumody

MBTI Type
INTJ
I guess it depends on how strictly you feel the need to pursue "values" of this sort... I wouldn't consider this a real value in any proper sense; it could be considered a tenant of some code, or perhaps a rule of thumb as something to briefly touch on as one deliberates certain decisions where such a consideration becomes pertinent.

It does seem like rather terrible intellectual propaganda, which could ruin an unsuspecting person's life if they were to devote themselves to enshrining this principle above a more common sense approach (common sense approach being: reasonableness is applied to the appropriateness of a maxim, and the maxim on conduct doesn't dictate the application of reason).

In conclusion: if "harm none" is but one value weighed among others, which can needs be tempered or limited as required for the sake of other values; then this doesn't seem like such a problematic position.

follow up point: "none" would presumably also have to include the self, which would prevent self-sacrifice, and the grace it can afford. (And possibly the potential for personal development (which can only come from the loss of something- depending on how deeply you wish to take this follow up point toward it's far reaching implications).

Last edited: