User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Zangetshumody View Post
    I guess it depends on how strictly you feel the need to pursue "values" of this sort... I wouldn't consider this a real value in any proper sense; it could be considered a tenant of some code, or perhaps a rule of thumb as something to briefly touch on as one deliberates certain decisions where such a consideration becomes pertinent.
    It might make more sense to view it as a rule of thumb, or moral yardstick. By this I mean I take it as a call to consider very carefully the consequences of my actions, and to ensure that any harm is vastly outweighed by good. Just another form of cost-benefit analysis. I cannot even begin to make this calculation, however, if I have not examined my actions in this way.

In conclusion: if "harm none" is but one value weighed among others, which can needs be tempered or limited as required for the sake of other values; then this doesn't seem like such a problematic position.
    Those other values inform your definitions of harm and good.

follow up point: "none" would presumably also have to include the self, which would prevent self-sacrifice, and the grace it can afford. (And possibly the potential for personal development (which can only come from the loss of something- depending on how deeply you wish to take this follow up point toward it's far reaching implications).
    Yes, "none" very definitely includes the self. It therefore cautions against suicide, subtance abuse, unhealthy lifestyle, and other behaviors that harm oneself in addition to any external harm caused. Self-sacrifice may be justified based on the criterion in my first paragraph, namely whether it brings about greater good (i.e. is the action resulting in least harm).
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Those other values inform your definitions of harm and good.
    I understand your greater point, but I think it is dangerous to reduce one's decision making capability to a formula hinged upon one grand binary that is meant to arbitrate all consequence and action (namely: harm and the good).

I always feel, the top of the pyramid is not a certain scale that balances one's life, but a single pinnacle of able awareness that is not automatically constrained by any measure. This is what I consider as the true liberty and the light the scriptures speak of.
    Not that there can't be said to be certain laws in operation: although without a spiritual understanding the operation of those laws will seem hidden.

The law I'm thinking of is: Give, and it shall be given unto you.

full scripture (which gives you more grounding for the operation of this understanding)->

Luk_6:38 Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.

Because ultimately, considerations of harm is a type of fear that does have a level of torment attached to it. Of course some people will be in situations where if they dispatched the line of thinking you advocate (or at least endorse for your personal use), they would cause more destruction;- but I would argue that a measure of self-policing one's own unbalanced life, although noble sounding, is no real substitute for working out real (unblemished) joy.

I'm not proposing abandonment of how you manage your life's blood; only that with a more fixed and stable identity that has full capacity to vest outside authority to your identities full satisfaction; we could be living in a community where these fears are confined to a former mode of life. [When I speak of identity, I mean how you conceive of yourself, and how you are known by others].

Of course how such a society would be constructed is a subject that touches close to some Star Trek sociological theme...

my 2 cents on the matter (at this moment):
    Of course I would not suggest vesting outside authority into a thing of the world: but in the hearing of the Word of God. The living God with flesh; contained by those created in his image who dwell in his spirit (and he in them). And believing on people in this way can lead to a pretty active life where one does not need to intellectually measure so much: because all the answers are already out there, we just need the correct atmosphere that allows people to share them freely with us (as they say: your attitude determines your altitude) [a way of understanding my point practically would be: we just need to master the art of asking (:in which people's identity does play a big role)].
    Escape powerful genjitsu by averting your gaze from the eyes.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I understand your greater point, but I think it is dangerous to reduce one's decision making capability to a formula hinged upon one grand binary that is meant to arbitrate all consequence and action (namely: harm and the good).
    It is much less a binary than a hierarchy: what brings the greatest benefit at the least cost, but considering these attributes with respect to the full range of your influence, not just your own person or family.

Because ultimately, considerations of harm is a type of fear that does have a level of torment attached to it. Of course some people will be in situations where if they dispatched the line of thinking you advocate (or at least endorse for your personal use), they would cause more destruction;- but I would argue that a measure of self-policing one's own unbalanced life, although noble sounding, is no real substitute for working out real (unblemished) joy.
    Some people might feel fear, but it is not necessary. All one needs is a realistic assessment and appreciation for cause and effect relationships. The whole purpose of "harm none" is to do the minimal harm possible in a situation. If one acts in such a way to cause greater destruction, one has not applied the philosophy correctly; or at least is operating on faulty information. On the other hand, it is possible to derive joy from causing harm to others, so this is an even worse yardstick.

my 2 cents on the matter (at this moment):
    Of course I would not suggest vesting outside authority into a thing of the world: but in the hearing of the Word of God. The living God with flesh; contained by those created in his image who dwell in his spirit (and he in them). And believing on people in this way can lead to a pretty active life where one does not need to intellectually measure so much: because all the answers are already out there, we just need the correct atmosphere that allows people to share them freely with us (as they say: your attitude determines your altitude) [a way of understanding my point practically would be: we just need to master the art of asking (:in which people's identity does play a big role)].
    Not everyone has the same view of God, or of humanity. This sounds like abdicating my responsibility to consider the consequences of my actions to some external, unsubstantiated, unfalsifiable body of hearsay. At least as much harm has been done in the name of various sources of "the word of God" than from unadorned human failings.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    It is much less a binary than a hierarchy: what brings the greatest benefit at the least cost, but considering these attributes with respect to the full range of your influence, not just your own person or family.
    I was talking about the quality of the judgement; The possible considerations created by use of the judgement might create the picture of a hierarchy; but the judgement itself is a scale comprised of two measures to be weighed against each other: this is the binary I'm talking about [the one measure being of 'good', the other measure being 'the harm'].

The greater point I'm trying to raise, is that good is not a measure; that there is such a thing as "The good". It doesn't just exist as a description or quality that can be measured, it is the liberty one has through reason to do any measuring.

And then I bring up the point, that there are different ways of applying this liberty to remove the need to measure your actions by harm; and that this is accomplished by forging a real identity in the world (and within your mind). This is not something that can necessarily be accomplished over night; because re-positioning yourself in the world, depending on your current position; takes changing your pattern of exchange with people- which requires not just words, but also the deed.

[My way of understanding "the deed" can be summed up in two words (and one name): Jesus Christ.]

And so I think it better to work on this real development [of improving one's image (in the world) [or operation], and indirectly thereby [improving] one's environment], instead of an intellectual framework to accommodate the imbalances one can judge.

In summation:
    Be the change you want to see; so that no harm needs be counted nor considered. [because one is just following the good (and living in its spirit), choosing between different forms of good based on liberty]. This cannot be accomplished by an atom in a greater world; but with the proper realization of one's identity, I believe it can be forged.
    Escape powerful genjitsu by averting your gaze from the eyes.

failed poetry slam career chubber's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Te

When you are defending yourself, there is no choice but to go offensive, as it sometimes the best defence.

MBTI
    yupp

most of the time, except when it comes to the protecting myself or others, then I have no problems with violence, but in general I leave people alone.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

LadyLazarus

Hmm,I suppose, to an extent I do, although if someone harms me first(whether it be physically or emotionally) I will not hesitate to retaliate, in fact I may very well enjoy it.I tend to be merciless and sadistic when it comes to being wronged/hurt by others.

An eye for an eye...

Although, I don't usually/intentionally try to cause others harm if they have not hurt me first.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

If you do things correctly, you're still gonna harm someone. More often than not, you're damaging weak and insecure egos and esteems rather than feelings. I'm generally rather rough, so as long as I don't hurt feelings tooooo much, I'm content.
    I N V I C T U S

failed poetry slam career chubber's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Quote Originally Posted by Thursday View Post
    If you do things correctly, you're still gonna harm someone. More often than not, you're damaging weak and insecure egos and esteems rather than feelings. I'm generally rather rough, so as long as I don't hurt feelings tooooo much, I'm content.
    Hulk smash

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    If we're talking about higher lifeforms and not mosquitoes, roaches, flies, viruses, bacteria, and criminals, then yes.

Ehm, just what exactly are we talking about here ... I mean, what kind of crime would a fellow human being have to commit to be as worthy as vermin or a petri dish of bacteria in your eyes? What causes a human being to suddenly no longer be a "higher lifeform" and lose their right to life and bodily integrity? Stealing a loaf of bread or bombing a kindergarden, where do you draw the line?
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari