User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    At the same time, I've seen you champion for justice when socially unjust situations were being discussed. I've seen you also uphold the principle of 'harming others with your actions isn't right'. I guess I'm wondering where the line goes, to what extent that is true for you and where that drive comes from
    Right. I fall short the same way I feel Christians feel they fall short in the eyes of their God. Sticking and clinging to the principle despite failing it because the principle is not flawed--it is I who is flawed.

Just because something is not attainable does not mean it is not worth reaching for. Where I draw the line? I have no idea.. It's vague, and changing with time and experience. What I felt was not important 2 years ago is today. Today I feel like consumerism is more harmful than many things, and I would have never given 2 thoughts to it before. I feel as if material possessions in excess are harmful now based on my life experience--yet, where to draw that line I am still working diligently on. It's a vague thing that needs constant attention and analyzing.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith
    If I'm aware that I might've hurt someone - however minor - I feel immensely guilty, even if a part of me rebels and tells me 'they had it coming'. I feel everyone has the right to be themselves and not be punished or taken advantage of it or be exploited by others for it - that includes animals and more.
    Amar, my default orientation toward the world is not just *do no harm* but *try to leave people in better shape than you found them, even if it's just a simple interaction*. So, kind of alleviate the wrongdoing of others. Of course, if I'm tired or cranky, I may not have the energy reserve to do that for every person I meet, but I do try to live as much of my life as possible that way.

However, when I run into someone who harms me emotionally, psychologically, or in whatever way (WITH MALICIOUS INTENT), I suspend that rule. In the name of protecting myself - or anyone I loved, I would harm someone, even using deadly force. If you act in such a way to intentionally cause me distress, then I will return the favor.
    RobertCalifornia: TL thinks im black
    RobertCalifornia: shes my homegurl
    Hive: arent you
    SpankyMcfly: wait... you arent?

thoughtlost: I am not really religious. I just like getting free stuff from churches.

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

I'd say I try as best I can.

But sometimes it's unavoidable. Cutting out people in my life to whom I am a benefit to them and they harmful to me, evicting tenants who didn't pay their rent for my job...I'd love it if I didn't have to do any of these things but I have actually discovered that more often than not I'm only one capable enough to do it.

I don't know if that makes me strong...or just very hardened as a person. I don't know. I see benefits to this situation...but I also feel like I've given away a piece of my soul to get to this place...
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

In spirit, yes. In reality I support an industry that has a vested interest in keeping poor countries poor. Part of my salary goes to bombing civilians by drone in the Middle East. I'm in the first wave of people to move into my neighborhood and we will eventually displace everybody who lives here into less prosperous places. I was drowning and I needed somebody last year, and I almost dragged them down with me. There's somebody who needs me in their life, but I'd rather not.

It's complicated. And I feel anymore that enacting values is mostly symbolic.

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

If we're talking about higher lifeforms and not mosquitoes, roaches, flies, viruses, bacteria, and criminals, then yes.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Adhere is probably too strong a word and I'd still make qualifications, but as a principle, I believe it's a very good place to start.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Yeah I try to
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Suffering is reducible, harm is inevitable.
    Two things fill me with wonder —
    the starry heavens above me and
    the moral law within me.

Immanuel Kant

Tell me what a person finds sexually attractive
    and I will tell you their entire philosophy of life.

Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

1. I make a distinction between harming none (refraining from doing harm) and doing good (taking positive action to alleviate suffering). I try to do both, but they are separate, albeit related guidelines.

2. I include myself in the "none" that should be harmed. Meaning, I avoid things that might bring me harm, whether drugs, excessive alcohol, bad decisions about work or relationships, etc.

3. I see "harm none" as an ideal we should strive towards, but which can never be reached. It is not possible to go through life doing no harm. We must take life just to live - whether animal or plant - and many other daily activities cause harm, either to others or to the environment. If we do none of these things, we will harm our own lives even to the point of death (not eating). It is all a balance. I take "harm none", then, as an admonition to be mindful of the decisions I make and the actions I take (a) to do the least harm possible; and (b) to extract the greatest benefit for whatever harm I cause. It's a bit like the Native Americans who killed a buffalo, but used it all without waste. This includes the case of harming someone else in defense of self or others.

Suffering is something I cannot abide to see and do nothing about - be it another human being, or any other living being. I don't watch the news for a reason and I'm part of several charities to do what I can. If I'm aware that I might've hurt someone - however minor - I feel immensely guilty, even if a part of me rebels and tells me 'they had it coming'.
    Interesting you should say this. I sometimes find myself shying away from a news story about abuse or other suffering, but instead, I stop and look. I think: if that person had to endure the actual experience, the least I can do is bear witness to it, to hear their story and be aware of their suffering. On the other hand, I rarely feel guilt. To me, that is a waste of energy that is better spent in making amends if I've wronged someone.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

A window to the soul

I'm curious to see how universal this value is and what it means to people from different backgrounds and types. So do you adhere to it? Why or why not? And what does it encompass for you? How important is it to you? What drives it?

Oh and it would be interesting to state your type first, and then answer, I think.

As for me:

ENFP

I live and breathe this. Suffering is something I cannot abide to see and do nothing about - be it another human being, or any other living being. I don't watch the news for a reason and I'm part of several charities to do what I can. If I'm aware that I might've hurt someone - however minor - I feel immensely guilty, even if a part of me rebels and tells me 'they had it coming'. I feel everyone has the right to be themselves and not be punished or taken advantage of it or be exploited by others for it - that includes animals and more. Free choice and the pain of having that taken already makes me rage, however small. On the other end of the scale is deliberate torture of another living being - something that I just cannot fathom.
    I don't think in terms of how I may be harming people; I think in terms of boundaries and respect. I hope my behavior towards others will bring out their best, and when I fail at it, it's disappointing, but I'm not called to be popular; I'm called to effect change.