User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    yupp

Default why does prayer work for some people and not for others?

I'm just curious, because my room mate and I've both prayed, and the same content. But she feels more at peace when she prays I don't feel any sort of change. I'm wondering if more anxious the person is/more controlling the person is. is more likely to feel more at peace after praying. Because in a sense they're making a conscious decision to be alright no matter what the outcome is or will be and that allievates their anxiety. I think they should do a study on anxious people and prayer vs non anxious people and prayer. And she told me "I don't know if I'm praying to anything or not. All I know is I feel more at peace, when I pray" So I was like what does it matter, if you feel more at peace then keep doing it. Me personally don't notice a difference one way or the other.Oh I forgot to say she's extremely anxious as where I'm laid back and am more like to let life punch me in the face, and it will sting momentarily but in the long run I don't worry about it. as where she does.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

your resident asshole

The good feelings people get from prayer are nothing more than a placebo effect.

If you want to feel more at peace, why not try meditation?

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    The good feelings people get from prayer are nothing more than a placebo effect.

If you want to feel more at peace, why not try meditation?
    even if it's a placebo effect, why does that matter? and I don't want to feel more at peace, I feel pretty at peace without prayer or meditation
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    even if it's a placebo effect, why does that matter?
    I don't know exactly. That's a good question. Perhaps she simply believes more in the power of prayer than you do?

and I don't want to feel more at peace, I feel pretty at peace without prayer or meditation
    This is always great.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    I don't know exactly. That's a good question. Perhaps she simply believes more in the power of prayer than you do?
    maybe she does on a subconscious level, but defiantly not on a conscious level
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

ndovjtjcaqidthi

You don't need to pray to feel at peace.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Nights and Days View Post
    You don't need to pray to feel at peace.
    I'm not saying you need to. I'm just wondering why some people feel more at peace when they pray. If it makes someone feel at peace, who am I to say you don't need to pray to feel more at peace. the way i see it as long as you're not harming anyone, the way you deal with your anxiety is fine. I'm asking why prayer works for some, but not for others. not if it's a requirement to feel at peace.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so

I think there's some credence to what you're saying, prpl. For some people, meditating on the idea that a higher power is in control gives them a sense of relief. Maybe some people are more naturally in tune or okay with the idea that they're not in control. *shrug*
    RobertCalifornia: TL thinks im black
    RobertCalifornia: shes my homegurl
    Hive: arent you
    SpankyMcfly: wait... you arent?

thoughtlost: I am not really religious. I just like getting free stuff from churches.

Prayer works for statistical reasons.

Also when we pray, we put ourselves into a trance which is relaxing, and enables us to ignore the times prayer doesn't work.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I'm just curious, because my room mate and I've both prayed, and the same content. But she feels more at peace when she prays I don't feel any sort of change. I'm wondering if more anxious the person is/more controlling the person is. is more likely to feel more at peace after praying. Because in a sense they're making a conscious decision to be alright no matter what the outcome is or will be and that allievates their anxiety. I think they should do a study on anxious people and prayer vs non anxious people and prayer. And she told me "I don't know if I'm praying to anything or not. All I know is I feel more at peace, when I pray" So I was like what does it matter, if you feel more at peace then keep doing it. Me personally don't notice a difference one way or the other.Oh I forgot to say she's extremely anxious as where I'm laid back and am more like to let life punch me in the face, and it will sting momentarily but in the long run I don't worry about it. as where she does.
    Operator error.

First, I consider prayer and meditation to be very similar, or at least for myself, doing the first involves the second almost always. By "operator error" I mean you might be doing it wrong, or not so much wrong, but not in the best way for yourself. Prayer and meditation styles vary as much as beliefs do. Doing what brings peace, or inspiration, or confidence to someone else might do nothing for you. Perhaps you have just not found the right method for yourself.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...