User Tag List

First 123

Quote Originally Posted by Such Irony View Post
    First you need to have faith in some higher power.
    The totalitarian temptation leads us to have faith in a higher power, whether it is a dictator, the gun, or God and His Angels.

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    The totalitarian temptation leads us to have faith in a higher power, whether it is a dictator, the gun, or God and His Angels.
    The light of the blind you'll see
    The venom tears my spine
    The eyes of the Nile are opening you'll see

It's called confirmation bias.

(1) If "god" already is aware of what you need, because "god" is all-knowing, then praying, to ask for a request or a favour, seems pointless. As he/she/it already (should) know(s). And, he/she/it has already decided the course of action/the fate, because if prayer moves him to action, then, see the second point.

(2) If one is praying to praise "god", to thank him/her/it, then it makes it seem like "god" is in need of praise. What does that say about their character? Their ego? Their arrogance?

(3) If praying to "god" is to enforce a personal relationship with him/her/it, then that's a very skewed definition of a relationship. You talk, he listens. Where's the give and take? The compromise?

garbage

Depends on how one defines "work for", I suppose.

If we're talking about pretty specific prayers ("Please make my ball cancer go away").. then, yeah, it's all about the stats. It's as absurd as The Secret.

If we're talking about inner peace, which will in turn enable one to deal with situations (such as having ball cancer) with an optimistic, hopeful, peaceful, or otherwise healthy disposition, then we're talking about putting some work in. With time and dedication, I imagine that one seems to be a pretty good source of stress relief--lighting up that ol' inner flame.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by garbage View Post
    \

If we're talking about inner peace, which will in turn enable one to deal with situations (such as having ball cancer) with an optimistic, hopeful, peaceful, or otherwise healthy disposition, then we're talking about putting some work in. With time and dedication, I imagine that one seems to be a pretty good source of stress relief--lighting up that ol' inner flame.
    This is the kind I'm refering to. And yes the Secret is such bullshit I know so many people who believe and i just roll my eyes. I hate this new age bullshit. what happened to coincedences?
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

It probably depends on the nature of the prayer. Prayer can be very effective and fulfilling for people taking time to be thankful for life's many "blessings". Prayer can be relaxing and help center you if you treat it like meditation... and you don't even need to be religious to get the benefit from being thankful or meditating. On the other hand, prayer doesn't help people that use it as a Wish List, hoping their deity of choice will Deus Ex Machina their life.

People that use prayer as an expression of love will generally feel better afterward. It's hard to not feel good after expressing love, afterall.

On the meditative front, repetition (such as the Rosary) can be very soothing and rewarding for some, while it makes others anxious or stressed.

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    This is the kind I'm refering to. And yes the Secret is such bullshit I know so many people who believe and i just roll my eyes. I hate this new age bullshit. what happened to coincedences?
    People like their stupid patterns and sense of agency too much

MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    ILI

I was told its good to pray and give explanation in your prayer- my understanding is that this allows a wider scope for God to show you his purpose for you.

I found a good example of what I consider to be the secular explanation [and frame of mind] of prayer, that can only really be addressed as the 'question for that which sustains your being' (which I would consider to be God (which is a spirit, and is also love, and is also a Word).

What energy space and consciousness can I be, [that would allow me] to have clarity and ease with all of this?
    >--->THEN FEEL THAT ENERGY<---<
    AND everything that doesn't allow that to show up, I now destroy and uncreate it

(that's taken from a youtube video on access consciousness, I'm not aware of any copyright).

But I would start and end with: In the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Ghost, Amen.

Because the Son is the true quality of your spirit. That is then the proper essence of "Who I am" that determines your 'promise' in the world.
    Escape powerful genjitsu by averting your gaze from the eyes.

Default Luck, Co-Incidence, Prayer and Statistics

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    what happened to coincedences?
    Co-incidences are part of the study of Statistics.

Statistics are an immensely powerful way to understand our world, from quantum mechanics to demography.

Gambling, for instance, can be understood precisely with Statistics, but still almost all gamblers believe in luck.

In the same way we believe in co-incidence rather than studying Statistics.

And in the same way we believe in prayer rather than studying Statistics.

How interesting that Statistics is not the slightest bit popular, yet luck, co-incidence, and prayer, are so popular.