• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The GOD Thread~

Lark

Meh. I think they are just angry for their own reasons, and religion, as politics, is an easy target/outlet for that.

Its sadly been a channel for exactly what you're talking about for the greater part of human history really when you think about it.

- - - Updated - - -

I am aware I am not one of the 144, 000. I have no hard feelings towards this

And how you be a knowing something like that?

Obsidius

Chumped.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Well, sweetums, there is also the option of holding back :D

Honestly, it takes quite a bit for someone to wake the beast. I'm ok with it, he's scary.

Holding back? Never hold back on stupidity or ignorance my friend ;)

Haha it does, and he ain't that scary, just a bit rough around the edges is all...

Lark

Welp, find me one and I'll be there. I have problems in my real life with being way too harsh and cold with people's beliefs... Especially political, I can't fucking stand conservative values.

I'm guessing you actually move in circles were those views arent held that much and you're an enforcer type for pretty unexamined liberal orthodoxies, in fact the sort of thing you flatter yourself that you're not, you're the opposite of and wouldnt ever be by virtue of hating on those li' ol' fucking conservative values.

You want to bring it and get harsh and cold about values its probably going to take more than posting witticisms in your sig and praying it stands as a good substitute for a well reasoned argument from a cool, calm and collected head in a persuasive and charming manner from someone whose as good representative in practice for the values they hold dear in theory. Bub.

Y'all take care now. :happy2:

ReadingRainbows

Cat Wench
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Only super good and nice people get to be in the 144, 000. I am sadly neither.

Obsidius

Chumped.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm guessing you actually move in circles were those views arent held that much and you're an enforcer type for pretty unexamined liberal orthodoxies, in fact the sort of thing you flatter yourself that you're not, you're the opposite of and wouldnt ever be by virtue of hating on those li' ol' fucking conservative values.

You want to bring it and get harsh and cold about values its probably going to take more than posting witticisms in your sig and praying it stands as a good substitute for a well reasoned argument from a cool, calm and collected head in a persuasive and charming manner from someone whose as good representative in practice for the values they hold dear in theory. Bub.

Awww, you're cute, trying to get an emotional rise out of me, I appreciate the effort ;)

But no, I live in a conservative family, went to a conservative school, and have conservative friends, they just know not to bring up bland and irrational conservative policy or ethics around me, because most of them don't like their precious "believies" being challenged ;) I don't really hold any belief "dear", they have no emotional attachment to me, if I get proven wrong, I will shift on to the more valid point of view, I've done this many times in the past year in terms of my philosophical stand points, but conservatives tend to be a little soft in the head when it comes to an actual debate, they'd rather employ emotional appeals ;)

Also, what has my signature got to do with this? Do you think my main arguments are in my signature? Are you serious? My signature is just bait for morons, nothing more, kind of like fishing (the only fishing I enjoy) ;) I do not aim to be persuasive, or cool headed, but rational. Though, if I'm just having fun with someone who is patently an idiot, I toss the formalities aside, and get to work, always good for some cheap entertainment. You know that I respect your argument somewhat when I give it a serious response, but otherwise, you'll get nothing more than a chuckle in passing.

You too ;)

Lark

Always, my friend, always :) If you ever want to argue about something, especially something as vacuous as religion, I'll be there ;)

Vacuous enough for you to have made it the topic of your signature?

Following your posts for all of about four or five pages here its pretty obvious to me that like a lot of atheists you're seriously over compensating and feel much, much more a grievance about people holding views and opinions other than yours than makes reasonable sense, it could relate to your MBTI type but I dont know you so I'm loath to speculate on that one but there's definitely much, much more strength of feeling than there is reason in much of what you say.

People trying to persuade you of anything with unsolicited opinions are a nuisance at worst, probably driven by their own issues at best (in which case its just possible you could lend some insight if you're not going to be their necessary jerk and gird up their ego defences) but they arent the opportunity for an epic rap battle that you make them out to be. There's none of your intellectual struggles online or off are going to matter or be remembered in days let alone throughout the ages.

Obsidius

Chumped.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Vacuous enough for you to have made it the topic of your signature?

Following your posts for all of about four or five pages here its pretty obvious to me that like a lot of atheists you're seriously over compensating and feel much, much more a grievance about people holding views and opinions other than yours than makes reasonable sense, it could relate to your MBTI type but I dont know you so I'm loath to speculate on that one but there's definitely much, much more strength of feeling than there is reason in much of what you say.

People trying to persuade you of anything with unsolicited opinions are a nuisance at worst, probably driven by their own issues at best (in which case its just possible you could lend some insight if you're not going to be their necessary jerk and gird up their ego defences) but they arent the opportunity for an epic rap battle that you make them out to be. There's none of your intellectual struggles online or off are going to matter or be remembered in days let alone throughout the ages.

Hey, excuse me! I enjoy making fun of vacuous things ;) Religion is just the most fun, because it's just like Santa Claus, or the Tooth Fairy, but people actually take it seriously! Bewildering.

Over compensating? Hmmm.. I'm not quite sure what you mean, over-compensating for what exactly? I take my atheism with a grain of salt, but not other people's stupidity, that pisses me off. Also, makes more sense? We're talking about people who believe that they need to beg the forgiveness of a celestial zombie (who, incidentally, is the son of a bearded sky wizard) , in order to repent for the sins originally perpetuated my a man and a woman (the woman born from the man's rib, and moulded out of dirt), who ate a magical fruit, under the influence of a talking snake. If that makes sense, well, what doesn't? You tell me what about religion makes sense, and I'll be glad to consider, and perhaps respond!

I'm not making them out to be an opportunity for much, apart from an entertaining discussion. Also, I don't intend to be remembered. Why would anybody? If you want to talk about what will be remembered "through the ages", please explain exactly what you do that fits the criteria. This is not meant to be some serious crusade! I wouldn't be prodding at people on an online forum if it was ;) I'm just entertaining myself :)

Lark

Awww, you're cute, trying to get an emotional rise out of me, I appreciate the effort ;)

I dont play that way but by all means flatter yourself that you exercise such impact upon strangers online that they'd want anything from you along the lines of an, er, emotional rise or for that matter that you'd not proffer it as easily as all that were it what I wanted in any case.

But no, I live in a conservative family, went to a conservative school, and have conservative friends, they just know not to bring up bland and irrational conservative policy or ethics around me, because most of them don't like their precious "believies" being challenged ;)

You're spoofing! Seriously?! Why what a rebel you are, I'm sure you'll stick to your guns in changed context and its not simply a matter of being a young contrarian then.

I don't really hold any belief "dear", they have no emotional attachment to me, if I get proven wrong, I will shift on to the more valid point of view, I've done this many times in the past year in terms of my philosophical stand points, but conservatives tend to be a little soft in the head when it comes to an actual debate, they'd rather employ emotional appeals ;)

That's quite commendable, and an achievement second to none as it turns out, humankind being more rationalising than reasoning, guided by affect and emotion that is then furnished with the proper explanatory varnish, it would appear you are one of a kind, a first. I mean there's no way that your thinking could be prompted by myriad affects, perhaps provoked on a daily basis by all those family, friends and school authorities. Nope, you sound like a genuine example of a "being out of time" whose inspiration does not seem to match any of the surrounding community or received wisdom, like the prophets of old or one Jesus Christ, although wait, those are just stories, erm, not sure what to make of things then. Someone must be mistaken. Hardly the move of a steely intellect.

Also, what has my signature got to do with this? Do you think my main arguments are in my signature? Are you serious? My signature is just bait for morons, nothing more, kind of like fishing (the only fishing I enjoy) ;) I do not aim to be persuasive, or cool headed, but rational. Though, if I'm just having fun with someone who is patently an idiot, I toss the formalities aside, and get to work, always good for some cheap entertainment. You know that I respect your argument somewhat when I give it a serious response, but otherwise, you'll get nothing more than a chuckle in passing.

No, you aim to bait people because its easier to compensate for your private doubts when you're putting people down.

I hear all your morons and idiots talk but it all sounds very familiar and far too much like the lady doth protest too much for me to discount it as merry making, I hope you feel a little less threatened and a little more secure in your thinking with the full passage of time, if not I hope you dont feel too lonely if all your masterful baiting and taunting has achieved nothing other than your own isolation but for one or two strangers online.

Lark

Hey, excuse me! I enjoy making fun of vacuous things ;) Religion is just the most fun, because it's just like Santa Claus, or the Tooth Fairy, but people actually take it seriously! Bewildering.

No, the things are nothing alike, although its what some atheists like to believe as its safer and easier to make a witty association than think about a matter in depth.

Over compensating? Hmmm.. I'm not quite sure what you mean, over-compensating for what exactly? I take my atheism with a grain of salt, but not other people's stupidity, that pisses me off.

Really? Why so? I thought you were the unmoved mover, looking only to bait the unwary into some amusing game of put down? Now instead you're finding the views of others troubling enough to be pissed off? Which is it?

Also, makes more sense? We're talking about people who believe that they need to beg the forgiveness of a celestial zombie (who, incidentally, is the son of a bearded sky wizard) , in order to repent for the sins originally perpetuated my a man and a woman (the woman born from the man's rib, and moulded out of dirt), who ate a magical fruit, under the influence of a talking snake. If that makes sense, well, what doesn't? You tell me what about religion makes sense, and I'll be glad to consider, and perhaps respond!

You're able to rehearse the standard scripts well, and maybe that's what it takes to impress in the little leagues, I've heard it all before and it couldnt raise a laugh even then, I've never liked Jervais much, whether he's discussing religion or demeaning people for laughs with his mean streak. Although if you take your life philosophy from a comedian dont be surprised if its a joke.

I'm not making them out to be an opportunity for much, apart from an entertaining discussion. Also, I don't intend to be remembered. Why would anybody? If you want to talk about what will be remembered "through the ages", please explain exactly what you do that fits the criteria. This is not meant to be some serious crusade! I wouldn't be prodding at people on an online forum if it was ;) I'm just entertaining myself :)

I'm surprised that only two or three posts in you're in complete and open retreat quite like that.

Although if its all such a laughing matter I see little or no reason to discuss it any further with you, your views are a joke, you're not too sure of your values and shrink from possessing any convictions in any case, you've no idea of the importance of an enduring idea or the proof of a tradition with any longevity at the service of anything greater than yourself.

Your posts have spoken volumes already. Just not in the way you thought they would.

á´…eparted

passages

I do not like religion at all either (I have explained why in previous posts). That said, making fun of religion, in particular going out of your way to do so is rather crude and ends up being very poorly received and seen by others. For the most part, it's rather non-productive. Since it was pointed out too, I agree with your signature. However, I do find it to be in bad taste as it appears it's sole purpose is to get a rise out of people and possibly flame them.

Obsidius

Chumped.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I dont play that way but by all means flatter yourself that you exercise such impact upon strangers online that they'd want anything from you along the lines of an, er, emotional rise or for that matter that you'd not proffer it as easily as all that were it what I wanted in any case.

You're spoofing! Seriously?! Why what a rebel you are, I'm sure you'll stick to your guns in changed context and its not simply a matter of being a young contrarian then.

That's quite commendable, and an achievement second to none as it turns out, humankind being more rationalising than reasoning, guided by affect and emotion that is then furnished with the proper explanatory varnish, it would appear you are one of a kind, a first. I mean there's no way that your thinking could be prompted by myriad affects, perhaps provoked on a daily basis by all those family, friends and school authorities. Nope, you sound like a genuine example of a "being out of time" whose inspiration does not seem to match any of the surrounding community or received wisdom, like the prophets of old or one Jesus Christ, although wait, those are just stories, erm, not sure what to make of things then. Someone must be mistaken. Hardly the move of a steely intellect.

No, you aim to bait people because its easier to compensate for your private doubts when you're putting people down.

I hear all your morons and idiots talk but it all sounds very familiar and far too much like the lady doth protest too much for me to discount it as merry making, I hope you feel a little less threatened and a little more secure in your thinking with the full passage of time, if not I hope you dont feel too lonely if all your masterful baiting and taunting has achieved nothing other than your own isolation but for one or two strangers online.

Ho! We have a lively one *rubs hands* ;)

If you're going to deny a patent provocation on your part, by all means go ahead, but I think you'd agree (maybe not publicly) that you're being a tad disingenuous there ;) But by no means does someone need to have an impact, or be of any such gravitas, in accordance with the "strangers online" to render them a viable target to emotional taunting, no, it doesn't take much for someone on a forum to attempt such a jeering, I think you of all know this best ;)

I think I will stick to my guns, this isn't a rebellion by any means, in fact in my current life most of the people I hang around with are left-wing types, a little further than me to be sure, and so is the person in immediate authority over me in my situation, I'd have to say, adopting a similar ideology would be a poor attempt at rebellion. No, I grew up agreeing with one set of values, and after getting some education into me, I disagreed, doesn't get much deeper than that my friend. That being said, many of the conservatives I meet have a tendency to impose values, which is when they become a target of my scorn, other than that; I'm willing to live and let live. I couldn't really care less if you believed that evolution shouldn't be taught it schools, or if you're a pro-life fundy, just as long as you don't intend to impose it on others who actually value an education, and freedom ;)

And no, most people I am friends with happen to be of the fallibilist variety, and will admit when their value system or philosophies have been discredited beyond denial. (Also, as I just said, I don't get provoked by many nowadays, or recently at all really), but that's a solid attempt at a somewhat-worth-while analysis! I'll give you that ;) Also, what surrounding community? I'm sorry but there's a reason why these ideals have been rejected by a lot of people who can be fucked researching anything! There's a reason why religiosity is inversely proportionate to education, and by extension wealth. Jesus Christ man! You're struggling to make even a semblance of a point! Also, do not mistake me for an "intellectual" of any kind, I'm just a guy having fun with other people across the internet, don't worry, I don't really take much of this seriously at all ;)

I "bait" people in passing, what I really enjoy is a solid debate, a good argument. That's more enjoyable than most things I find, if you know where I could find one, please let me know :)

If you think I'm threatened, or have closeted doubts, than I'm afraid you'd be mistaken... Not much of this could threaten anyone of even a somewhat average intellect I'm afraid, it's all too fantastical for the 21st century, but don't worry, I'm sure there will always be a primal part of our ever-evolving brain that will keep the outmoded ideologies of antiquity alive ;) But don't worry! Loneliness isn't much of a worry for me, as I'm sure you can imagine, even if I did have a short supply of friends! But you'll find that there are many people that tend to agree, and not take said values or systems of thoughts very seriously :) But don't worry, I understand your wish to put me on the defensive! It's a clever trick on power dynamics, I've always loved watching people do it in conversation, makes for even more entertainment! Boy, you're really a gold mind aren't you ;)

Obsidius

Chumped.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I do not like religion at all either (I have explained why in previous posts). That said, making fun of religion, in particular going out of your way to do so is rather crude and ends up being very poorly received and seen by others. For the most part, it's rather non-productive. Since it was pointed out too, I agree with your signature. However, I do find it to be in bad taste as it appears it's sole purpose is to get a rise out of people and possibly flame them.

I usually don't make fun of religion, I tend to enjoy spending my time talking about other things, thinking about other things, religions are just like any other myth to me, they just seem to have a larger cultural influence. I don't usually go out of my way, I'm happy observing, but if they want an argument, then they can easily find one with me. I acknowledge that it's not productive, but as most people haven't taken issue with it so far, I'll keep it there, if it does end up being disruptive enough, I'll change it. I don't aim to flame people, but it is interesting to see which people in particular take issue with it, and why. I kind of just observe how people behave in response, for entertainment, not for productivity. But I don't really have much of an issue changing it if people get reallyyyyy butt-hurt about it. Which is bound to happen, I'm sure.

Mole

Permabanned
Who needs totalitarian Islam or Sharia when we can have this [Christianity]?

As I write Islam is enslaving people in what was Iraq and Syria in accordance with the Koran; and Islam is enslaving people in Nigeria in accordance with the Koran. And Christianity is enslaving people nowhere.

It seems to me to be perverse to defend Islam of today by blaming Christianity.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No, the things are nothing alike, although its what some atheists like to believe as its safer and easier to make a witty association than think about a matter in depth.
Exactly how do Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy differ from Jesus? I can't vouch for the Tooth Fairy, but there was a historical St Nicholas, just as there seems to have been a historical Jesus.

I usually don't make fun of religion, I tend to enjoy spending my time talking about other things, thinking about other things, religions are just like any other myth to me, they just seem to have a larger cultural influence. I don't usually go out of my way, I'm happy observing, but if they want an argument, then they can easily find one with me. I acknowledge that it's not productive, but as most people haven't taken issue with it so far, I'll keep it there, if it does end up being disruptive enough, I'll change it. I don't aim to flame people, but it is interesting to see which people in particular take issue with it, and why.
Religion is something I tend not to make fun of either, though feeble attempts to defend one's beliefs are another matter entirely. Moreover, it would seem that a thread entitled "The GOD Thread" is one of the more suitable contexts for such discussion.

As I write Islam is enslaving people in what was Iraq and Syria in accordance with the Koran; and Islam is enslaving people in Nigeria in accordance with the Koran. And Christianity is enslaving people nowhere.
I don't think it's Muslims who are trafficking thousands of men and women for sex work and other labor in the US each year. Muslims may be ahead statistically at this point in time, but have nowhere near a monopoly in confining and compelling people to service against their will.

Obsidius

Chumped.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Really? Why so? I thought you were the unmoved mover, looking only to bait the unwary into some amusing game of put down? Now instead you're finding the views of others troubling enough to be pissed off? Which is it?

You're able to rehearse the standard scripts well, and maybe that's what it takes to impress in the little leagues, I've heard it all before and it couldnt raise a laugh even then, I've never liked Jervais much, whether he's discussing religion or demeaning people for laughs with his mean streak. Although if you take your life philosophy from a comedian dont be surprised if its a joke.

I'm surprised that only two or three posts in you're in complete and open retreat quite like that.

Although if its all such a laughing matter I see little or no reason to discuss it any further with you, your views are a joke, you're not too sure of your values and shrink from possessing any convictions in any case, you've no idea of the importance of an enduring idea or the proof of a tradition with any longevity at the service of anything greater than yourself.

Your posts have spoken volumes already. Just not in the way you thought they would.

Now they are fairly similar, especially Jesus and Santa Claus, those two have many similarities! I could list some if you'd like :)

You're acting as if there are absolutes where there are none. I said that baiting morons is fun, but stupid attitudes expounded as fact do irritate me greatly, which is why I choose to refute them.

Also, what makes you think that it's my "life's philosophy"? Are you serious? Are you so quick to assume something so general from a joke? It is a joke, you do realise that, right? My life's philosophy has nothing to do with my views on religion for the most part, I prefer thinking about things that warrant thinking about.

Also, retreat? I think you're miss-reading things here, but what was I to expect, you have been the whole time, quite interesting really... If you want to know of my moral convictions or of my assumed philosophies/ideologies; ask, you nitwit, do not assume that I have none from a forum post that was patently intended a joke. I feel more stupid for having to explain this to you. Also really? you're going to go with that? Come on dude, you HAVE to know that religions are called "faiths" for a reason. They are not "proven", please let me know when you learn the difference between crappy evidence, and proof.

Yes, they would speak volumes to someone like you. You do not see patterns, you do not see the meaning or the context, you assume out of thin air, it's disappointing and intellectually dishonest.

And you too bud ;)

Lark

Exactly how do Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy differ from Jesus? I can't vouch for the Tooth Fairy, but there was a historical St Nicholas, just as there seems to have been a historical Jesus

If you're satisfied with that I guess its alright, whatever makes you happy, it wouldnt be adequate enough for me whether I was a theist or an atheist its pretty superficial and facetious, the sort of thing someone schooled in Schopenhauer's Art of Being Right would produce, as opposed to someone really interested in seeking truth.

Religion is something I tend not to make fun of either, though feeble attempts to defend one's beliefs are another matter entirely. Moreover, it would seem that a thread entitled "The GOD Thread" is one of the more suitable contexts for such discussion.

I dont take you meaning, I do notice that there's a lot of atheists taking exception to there being a God thread, to there being theism, its something I've mused at, the old addage that in order to be an atheist you need to know there's no God and you hate him would appear to be a truism.

I don't think it's Muslims who are trafficking thousands of men and women for sex work and other labor in the US each year. Muslims may be ahead statistically at this point in time, but have nowhere near a monopoly in confining and compelling people to service against their will.

Does anyone know for certain that Mole isnt a bot?

Lark

Now they are fairly similar, especially Jesus and Santa Claus, those two have many similarities! I could list some if you'd like :)

You're acting as if there are absolutes where there are none. I said that baiting morons is fun, but stupid attitudes expounded as fact do irritate me greatly, which is why I choose to refute them.

Also, what makes you think that it's my "life's philosophy"? Are you serious? Are you so quick to assume something so general from a joke? It is a joke, you do realise that, right? My life's philosophy has nothing to do with my views on religion for the most part, I prefer thinking about things that warrant thinking about.

Also, retreat? I think you're miss-reading things here, but what was I to expect, you have been the whole time, quite interesting really... If you want to know of my moral convictions or of my assumed philosophies/ideologies; ask, you nitwit, do not assume that I have none from a forum post that was patently intended a joke. I feel more stupid for having to explain this to you. Also really? you're going to go with that? Come on dude, you HAVE to know that religions are called "faiths" for a reason. They are not "proven", please let me know when you learn the difference between crappy evidence, and proof.

Yes, they would speak volumes to someone like you. You do not see patterns, you do not see the meaning or the context, you assume out of thin air, it's disappointing and intellectually dishonest.

And you too bud ;)

I'll be right back.

When you can produce posts which dont appear to contradict themselves in the space of the same single post. I'll understand if you think about it and decide you'd like to delete that post, its visible to more people than me and you might want to keep some sort of reputation intact.

Lark

I usually don't make fun of religion, I tend to enjoy spending my time talking about other things, thinking about other things, religions are just like any other myth to me, they just seem to have a larger cultural influence. I don't usually go out of my way, I'm happy observing, but if they want an argument, then they can easily find one with me. I acknowledge that it's not productive, but as most people haven't taken issue with it so far, I'll keep it there, if it does end up being disruptive enough, I'll change it. I don't aim to flame people, but it is interesting to see which people in particular take issue with it, and why. I kind of just observe how people behave in response, for entertainment, not for productivity. But I don't really have much of an issue changing it if people get reallyyyyy butt-hurt about it. Which is bound to happen, I'm sure.

Why so?

If you post something and no one cares, do you still have a point?

Reflect on that Koan grasshopper.