• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The GOD Thread~

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I feel that intensely; ouch. Is there no doing right by you or making you feel understood? How about something warm to warm you up like hot cocoa or hot blackberry cobbler?
It is hard to make someone else feel understood when you do not really understand them, and want to insist that your own perspective is "the best" or "the only truth".

I was at a bible study once when I was new to a church. The mormon's came to the door and the host invited them in to sit with us. That was fun.
I worked with someone who grew up in the Soviet system. After he had moved to the west, Christian missionaries (not sure what kind) came by his apartment. He invited them in, let them go through their spiel, then bombarded them with all the Communist propaganda he had learned growing up. He didn't believe any of it, but wanted to make sure the missionaries would never return.

One of the best responses to missionaries by Pagans: "Come in! This is perfect timing. The rest of my coven will be here in 15 minutes."

ReadingRainbows

Cat Wench
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I worked with someone who grew up in the Soviet system. After he had moved to the west, Christian missionaries (not sure what kind) came by his apartment. He invited them in, let them go through their spiel, then bombarded them with all the Communist propaganda he had learned growing up. He didn't believe any of it, but wanted to make sure the missionaries would never return.

One of the best responses to missionaries by Pagans: "Come in! This is perfect timing. The rest of my coven will be here in 15 minutes."

I hate those door to door "buy my faith for a low low price people" They need to learn that if they aren't pushing thin mints, they don't need to touch my door.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I hate those door to door "buy my faith for a low low price people" They need to learn that if they aren't pushing thin mints, they don't need to touch my door.

:yes: Well-intended in their minds or not, the door-to-door peddling is extremely invasive, and, completely unnecessary in this age. Some may argue that the face-to-face interaction in the present moment has merit, but showing up to most people's homes uninvited to impose your beliefs upon them will usually end with someone yessing you to death and closing the door with a sigh of relief. Or being told that you'll be charged with harassment/trespassing if you show up again.

We're all pretty aware of "The Good News," now. If we wanna find out more, we'll come to you.

Obsidius

Chumped.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Me either, lil puppy.

Welp, find me one and I'll be there. I have problems in my real life with being way too harsh and cold with people's beliefs... Especially political, I can't fucking stand conservative values.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
:yes: Well-intended in their minds or not, the door-to-door peddling is extremely invasive, and, completely unnecessary in this age. Some may argue that the face-to-face interaction in the present moment has merit, but showing up to most people's homes uninvited to impose your beliefs upon them will usually end with someone yessing you to death and closing the door with a sigh of relief. Or being told that you'll be charged with harassment/trespassing if you show up again.

We're all pretty aware of "The Good News," now. If we wanna find out more, we'll come to you.

that's racist against the people who live under rocks, though they're probably dead rocks are heavy probably suffocated them, but you know maybe if zombies were christian we'd have less to worry about them eating our brains, just an idea :shrug:

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
maybe if zombies were christian we'd have less to worry about them eating our brains, just an idea :shrug:

Well.. their leader rose from the grave & hung out for a bit before the ascension or whatever, right?

d72719ad24e1bbe9ed42a84640c3683ec5055585ad988e61f5b7a4e9d59e5d37.jpg

Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.
John 6:54

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Well.. their leader rose from the grave & hung out for a bit before the ascension or whatever, right?

938337.jpg
yeah but zombies are hipsters so they can't be friends with jesus, even though he does provide our vegetables from mexico

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I would be far more tolerant of these folks and their right to go door-to-door if they would simply take "no" for an answer and move on to the next prospect.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would be far more tolerant of these folks and their right to go door-to-door if they would simply take "no" for an answer and move on to the next prospect.

Yeah, it's the repeat visits and the persistence often demonstrated upon that first visit. Those tense moments on the porch when you just want to shut the door and move along with your life. :doh:

- - - Updated - - -

yeah but zombies are hipsters so they can't be friends with jesus, even though he does provide our vegetables from mexico

I changed the photo. He feeds us with his body, I thought.. Now I'm confused.

á´…eparted

passages

I actually have met ones like this before. These two girls on campus one day came up to me (mormon missionaries I believe), gave like a 10 second intro and I cut them off (nicely) that I wasn't interested. They simply said "oh, alright, have a good day!". What particularly left me happy is they didn't say the trademark "god bless you", which lead me to believe they had the foresight of how to approach their goal in the best way possible. That I can get to respecting.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I actually have met ones like this before. These two girls on campus one day came up to me (mormon missionaries I believe), gave like a 10 second intro and I cut them off (nicely) that I wasn't interested. They simply said "oh, alright, have a good day!". What particularly left me happy is they didn't say the trademark "god bless you", which lead me to believe they had the foresight of how to approach their goal in the best way possible. That I can get to respecting.

Yeah, they do exist, definitely. By & large the persistence seems more common, but perhaps that varies by region.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Welp, find me one and I'll be there. I have problems in my real life with being way too harsh and cold with people's beliefs... Especially political, I can't fucking stand conservative values.

Well, sweetums, there is also the option of holding back :D

Honestly, it takes quite a bit for someone to wake the beast. I'm ok with it, he's scary.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

LOL

I could probably find it, but I is sweepy, but there's a video of some grandma somewhere going off on these door to door evangelizers and she calls them "G****** Soul Solicitors!" It's pretty funny.

Lark

Its funny because there was a time when I felt the same way about evangelists, I still do about the majority of them because I feel a lot of the different species of them are members of churches and congregations which are seriously in error, although I could be considered sectarian for saying so.

I dont like individuals who're pushy about their politics or even their favourite sports teams for the same reasons.

Although, while I still have a tendency to dislike street preachers especially and faith healers, I hope I'm less annoyed about them or by them these days than I've been in the past. The God bless you think should be a good thing, its water under the bridge which has made it otherwise.

I think what troubles me the most about evangelists is evangelism and what it generally means or amounts to. The door to door variety is too much travelling salesman like for me to be comfortable with. A lot of it is clever PR, marketing and psychological priming as opposed to speaking to people who arent vulnerable, on their best day, with their best thinking and persuading them of any precise point. It feels as though its about winning more contributors to their collection plates or members for their congregations rather than sharing any high points of theology or religious insights with anyone. I hate vagaries, especially when it seems accompanied by or a cover for lack of understanding in the first place, its what I encounter among every sort of evangelist, most of the time winning converts is about convincing themselves.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Meh. I think they are just angry for their own reasons, and religion, as politics, is an easy target/outlet for that.

ReadingRainbows

Cat Wench
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am aware I am not one of the 144, 000. I have no hard feelings towards this