• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The GOD Thread~

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No. I left a God who judges, punishes and has special people a long time ago. It fell by the wayside along with santa claus and the tooth fairy and other childish affairs.

Just curious what you base this on? Or are you being facetious?

I wonder what my perspectives would have been like if i wasn't given a religious education as a kid.

What do you mean?

Beorn

Permabanned
Just curious what you base this on? Or are you being facetious?

I thought the Old Testament was your thing? It's an incomplete view, but it's not a facetious view.

What's interesting is that the person says they're rejecting God because he's like Santa Claus or the tooth fairy when it's pretty clear the exact opposite is the case and the rejection is based on a perceived lack of beneficence.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I thought the Old Testament was your thing? It's an incomplete view, but it's not a facetious view.

What's interesting is that the person says they're rejecting God because he's like Santa Claus or the tooth fairy when it's pretty clear the exact opposite is the case and the rejection is based on a perceived lack of beneficence.

facetious=treating serious issues with deliberately inappropriate humor; flippant.

Just wondering if she was being facetious or being serious. It is my thing, yeah. Usually people think the 'God of the Old Testament' is cruel or harsh, etc. So I like to discuss that, in particular.

93JC

... so the analogy would have been more apt if God was compared to the boogeyman? :D

Lark

facetious=treating serious issues with deliberately inappropriate humor; flippant.

Just wondering if she was being facetious or being serious. It is my thing, yeah. Usually people think the 'God of the Old Testament' is cruel or harsh, etc. So I like to discuss that, in particular.

I think the Old Testament has a clear dichotomy of the Prophets vs. Kings.

Lark

... so the analogy would have been more apt if God was compared to the boogeyman? :D

I think that would be an apt analogy for most people who embrace disbelief in God and repress religosity, its the same as any other sort of repression too. You're free to choose. Choices have consequences.

93JC

I think that would be an apt analogy for most people who embrace disbelief in God and repress religosity, its the same as any other sort of repression too. You're free to choose. Choices have consequences.

If I'm not a good boy Santa Claus will put coal in my stocking? :D

Beorn

Permabanned

It would at least be more consistent. Especially since the person has probably run into the arms of exclusive humanism which promises to give everybody the ability to create whatever meaning in their life they want turning them into their very own Santa for themselves.

Lark

It would at least be more consistent. Especially since the person has probably run into the arms of exclusive humanism which promises to give everybody the ability to create whatever meaning in their life they want turning them into their very own Santa for themselves.

Then they discover there is no Santa.

How are you dickhead? :newwink: :hi:

Mole

Permabanned
The Lukewarm

Disbelief in a God and belief in a God are two sides of the same coin; the killer, the psychological killer, is indifference to a God.

So then because thou art lukewarme, and neither cold nor hot, I wil spew thee out of my mouth:
- King James Version (1611).

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I wonder what my perspectives would have been like if i wasn't given a religious education as a kid.

Me too... Literally all my education except kindergarten and preschool has been religious.

Mole

Permabanned
God is a teacher of patience, that is true.

But He also brings so much richness to a life during the waiting.

Living in the world is full of waiting. Waiting for the next paycheck. Waiting for the weekend. Waiting for the next boyfriend or girlfriend. At least waiting with God is purposeful.

Waiting For Godot.

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

Nicodemus

Actually, a rejection framed the way it was in this case is usually based on the perceived lack of reality which all these childish fantasies share.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"Listen to me! You have to consider the possibility that God does not like you. He never wanted you. In all probability, he hates you. This is not the worst thing that can happen."

"When did I realize I was God? Well, I was praying and I suddenly realized I was talking to myself."

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6

The thread should have started and ended with this :thumbup:

The timeless religious debate that goes nowhere. People's subjective and personal beliefs are their own. You're not going to argue their place into anyone else.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Recently Born-Again Christian Finally Has Social Life

CIPewk0.jpg

"Before I joined Christ's flock, everyone used to make fun of me
and call me a weirdo," Dunne said. "But the people at New Hearts
accepted me unconditionally–so long as I accepted Jesus Christ as
my savior. Once I did that, all sorts of wonderful things followed,
like having plans on Friday nights."

Former Cult Members Find New Life In Christ

R0JcjtS.jpg

Helen Hurley of the Fellowship House in Hanover, NH, where cult
survivors are being given a chance to return to the real world,
be reborn and ascend into Heaven for all eternity through devotion
to the one true Savior, Jesus Christ.

"Look," she said, her expression turning serious, "some of the men and women who have come through the Fellowship House were actually involved in ritual cannibalism at one time. Now they can turn their back on darkness and confusion. They are free to take their first communion, and in the sacramental eating and drinking of the body and blood of Christ, they have been washed of their sins by the blood of the Lamb."

After all, isn't that what it's really all about?