• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The GOD Thread~

gromit

likes this
[MENTION=6336]AphroditeGoneAwry[/MENTION] did you make a thread on here about if God told you your soulmate/life's partner were to be a particular woman, that would be fine, it's about loving, not the sex for you? Or something simiar to that... obviously I don't remember 100%... have your philosophies changed since then?

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=6336]AphroditeGoneAwry[/MENTION] did you make a thread on here about if God told you your soulmate/life's partner were to be a particular woman, that would be fine, it's about loving, not the sex for you? Or something simiar to that... obviously I don't remember 100%... have your philosophies changed since then?

Ah, I inquired about this fairly recently but never really got sufficient response. Seems like quite the leap, but I guess that's how faith works.. ?
:shrug:

http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...06&page=3918&p=2194559&viewfull=1#post2194559

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Just out of curiosity -- what about people of other religions, e.g. Buddhism, Hinduism, etc.? Do you think that these are different manifestations of God?

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Baal and Asherah were false gods, who were worshipped at the high places, and were honored by fornicating with prostitutes.
Can you substantiate any part of this claim, or is it simply a personal belief?

Yeah, I see a lot of the OT rules as "separation/cleanliness" rules to (1) separate Israel tangibly from other cultures and prevent their assimilation, and (2) to prevent epidemics from wiping out the tribes.
One of the strategies to prevent assimilation was to vilify everything pertaining to the other cultures' belief systems.

Alcoholics and obese people love to point to biology and heredity for their 'source'. And it's really attributed to dysfunction in childhood, and aberrant coping mechanisms.

So why is homosexuality any different?
Because alcoholism and obesity lead to obvious and incontrovertible harm, both to those directly affected, and indirectly to their friends, family, and associates. The only harm resulting from homosexuality is that promulgated against gays, through bigotry.

I would welcome talking about God in other ways.
Good, because that's what some of us are doing. You seem, however, not to recognize what we are talkling about as God. If your OP meant to encourage only religious discussion aligned with your own personal views, you should have stated so. Then those of us desiring respectful and open-minded consideration of diverse viewpoints would know to move on.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have read the references in the Old Testament about homosexuality as well as the references in the New Testament that refer to those Old Testament concepts. Jesus actually never said homosexuality was a sin. Other people did though. For example, there is this:

Leviticus 18:22 “Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.”

Purrsonally, I'm partial the Lolcat Bible translation.

Leviticus 18:22 No can has ghey... srsly. srry, but no.

But then there are also these things.

Leviticus 11:4 “Nevertheless these shall ye not eat of them that chew the cud, or of them that divide the hoof: as the camel, because he cheweth the cud, but divideth not the hoof; he is unclean unto you.”

Leviticus 11:4 Camelz dont mak teh good cheezeburgerz, wtf u thinkin man?!?

Leviticus 11:10 “And all that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be an abomination unto you.”

Leviticus 11:10 Fine, u go to teh Macdonaldz and u can has feel-lay (lol) O feesh sandy-wich. 11 Eeew, y u want shrimp basketz? It r BLECH, trust me.12 It r serously DO NOT WANT.

Leviticus 11:27 “And whatsoever goeth upon his paws, among all manner of beasts that go on all four, those are unclean unto you: whoso toucheth their carcase shall be unclean until the even.”

Leviticus 11:27 Paws also BLECH. Scratch dog? K. No eet.

Leviticus 11:28–29 “These also shall be unclean unto you among the creeping things that creep upon the earth; the weasel, and the mouse, and the tortoise after his kind, and the ferret, and the chameleon, and the lizard, and the snail, and the mole.”

Leviticus 11:28 I meen, serously, y u no eet cheezeburgerz noob?
11:29 O yah, evan tho we iz catz, u no can has ratz-burgerz eithur.

Leviticus 11:13–20 “These are they which ye shall have in abomination among the fowls; they shall not be eaten, they are an abomination: the eagle, and the ossifrage, and the osprey, and the vulture, and the kite after his kind; every raven after his kind; and the owl, and the night hawk, and the cuckow, and the hawk after his kind, and the little owl, and the cormorant, and the great owl, and the swan, and the pelican, and the gier eagle, and the stork, the heron after her kind, and the lapwing, and the bat. All fowls that creep, going upon all four, shall be an abomination unto you.”

Leviticus 11:13-23 13 O hay, go bai KFC, wen y go, kthx. 14 But dont get orijinal reshpy, get teh x-tra krispee! 15 Doodz, reely, only eatz teh chikenz.16 No eated teh eagulz or owlz plz. 17 O RLY? 18 Y RLY! 19 Also, batz for baseballz lol, not for can has eatingz.

20 O hay, so lemme tell u aboutz bugz: 21 Criket = DEELISHIOUS 22 Grasshoppa = MOAR DEELISHIOUS 23 Beetulz = BLECH

Leviticus 10:6 “Uncover not your heads, neither rend your clothes; lest ye die, and lest wrath come upon all the people.”

Leviticus 10:6 Moses was laik: “You noes mak your hed nekid and tear cloes or eles Ceiling Cat will eated u. Ceiling Cat r mighty, all-eating.”

Leviticus 19:19 “Neither shall a garment mingled of linen and woollen come upon thee.”

Leviticus 19:19 “Thou shalt not let thy cattle gender with a diverse kind.”

Leviticus 19:19 Don't screw dees things up:
No shackin wif teh dog.
No raisin coca AND teh pot in teh same garage.
No pleather.

Leviticus 19:27 “Neither shalt thou mar the corners of thy beard.”

Leviticus 19:27 No mullets or bad sideburns.

Leviticus 5:2 “If a soul touch any unclean thing, whether it be a carcase of an unclean beast, or a carcase of unclean cattle, or the carcase of unclean creeping things, and if it be hidden from him; he also shall be unclean, and guilty.”

Leviticus 5:2 And if sumone toucheded teh smelleh stuff or teh ikkies, an is liek, "O NOES! I iz smelleh an ikkie!"

Leviticus 12:4–5 “And she shall then continue in the blood of her purifying three and thirty days; she shall touch no hallowed thing, nor come into the sanctuary, until the days of her purifying be fulfilled. But if she bear a maid child, then she shall be unclean two weeks, as in her separation: and she shall continue in the blood of her purifying threescore and six days.”

Leviticus 12:4-5 4And momma cat cant go in hous of Ceiling Cat for a hole forty dayz aftr it coems out.
5 But if its girl kitteh, den she has to stay in cat-box two wks and cant go in hous for more days. Liek sixty-six lol!

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Purrsonally, I'm partial the Lolcat Bible translation.

Leviticus 18:22 No can has ghey... srsly. srry, but no.

Leviticus 11:4 Camelz dont mak teh good cheezeburgerz, wtf u thinkin man?!?

Leviticus 11:10 Fine, u go to teh Macdonaldz and u can has feel-lay (lol) O feesh sandy-wich. 11 Eeew, y u want shrimp basketz? It r BLECH, trust me.12 It r serously DO NOT WANT.

Leviticus 11:27 Paws also BLECH. Scratch dog? K. No eet.

Leviticus 11:28 I meen, serously, y u no eet cheezeburgerz noob?
11:29 O yah, evan tho we iz catz, u no can has ratz-burgerz eithur.

Leviticus 11:13-23 13 O hay, go bai KFC, wen y go, kthx. 14 But dont get orijinal reshpy, get teh x-tra krispee! 15 Doodz, reely, only eatz teh chikenz.16 No eated teh eagulz or owlz plz. 17 O RLY? 18 Y RLY! 19 Also, batz for baseballz lol, not for can has eatingz.

20 O hay, so lemme tell u aboutz bugz: 21 Criket = DEELISHIOUS 22 Grasshoppa = MOAR DEELISHIOUS 23 Beetulz = BLECH

Leviticus 10:6 Moses was laik: “You noes mak your hed nekid and tear cloes or eles Ceiling Cat will eated u. Ceiling Cat r mighty, all-eating.”

Leviticus 19:19 Don't screw dees things up:
No shackin wif teh dog.
No raisin coca AND teh pot in teh same garage.
No pleather.

Leviticus 19:27 No mullets or bad sideburns.

Leviticus 5:2 And if sumone toucheded teh smelleh stuff or teh ikkies, an is liek, "O NOES! I iz smelleh an ikkie!"

Leviticus 12:4-5 4And momma cat cant go in hous of Ceiling Cat for a hole forty dayz aftr it coems out.
5 But if its girl kitteh, den she has to stay in cat-box two wks and cant go in hous for more days. Liek sixty-six lol!

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

THAT IS SO HILARIOUS.

YOU NEED TO START A LOLCATS BIBLE THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[or just keep posting them here. :D]

Oh, man. I forgot what else I was going to say.

Oh, yeah. Saying that about my soulmate possibly being a woman was about two things. Mostly, it was because I thought for a long time that my Divine partner might have been on here, and that he considered himself a woman....And also that, since I used to identify as "bi", I kept my partner options open, so to speak.

Now I know that God does not intend to have my Divine partner be a woman. Perhaps a gender-confused male, but not a woman.

I learn a lot more about God and His Word and Divine Plan as life goes by, because I am trying to get closer to Him, and know Him more. You can too, if you want to. :smile:

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Just out of curiosity -- what about people of other religions, e.g. Buddhism, Hinduism, etc.? Do you think that these are different manifestations of God?

I have looked into those religions and personally not found them to be anywhere near Judeo-Christianity for spiritual insight and having a divinely inspired holy book. Do Buddhists even believe in God? I haven't seen that they do. And I think Hindus are more polytheists? Buddhism, the Buddha, and Muhammad, just seems to copy Christianity, and try to claim it as something original, with Buddhism being more humanist, not even attributing creation to God. But as I said, I am not an expert at those relgions at all!

People have a right to believe what they like! This thread is about the Hebrew God in the Bible. The God of Adam and the patriarchs. The Father of Jesus.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I have looked into those religions and personally not found them to be anywhere near Judeo-Christianity for spiritual insight and having a divinely inspired holy book. Do Buddhists even believe in God? I haven't seen that they do. And I think Hindus are more polytheists?

People have a right to believe what they like! This thread is about the Hebrew God in the Bible. The God of Adam and the patriarchs. The Father of Jesus.
Ok then. Thanks for clarifying :)

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Okay, two questions then.

1. How do you account for homosexuality in the animal kingdom where interpersonal relationships are not as complex as human ones and sexual relationships are often based on instinct and availability rather than true choice? Does a chicken decide to be gay because of daddy issues? God made animals too, right?

2. If there is one divine partner for everyone, why will every Christian church remarry a widow/widower?

It is the nature of your flesh to be able to practice homosexuality, to desire it, whether it is for love or for mere sex. If animals practice homosexuality occasionally, then that is just more proof that it is of the flesh.

The whole point is that to do God's will, you must rise above what the flesh drives you to do, and the desires of your heart. Because He knows what is best for you. And He has said in Genesis 2, the very beginning of the story, that he made a woman out of man, and that a man should leave his family and cling to his wife.

If someone dies, then God has the ability to provide for them again. Some might have a succession of Divine partners. And some might have none, only God. God was able to provide Job with more than he had before after everything he had was annihilated by the devil. God CAN do anything.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have looked into those religions and personally not found them to be anywhere near Judeo-Christianity for spiritual insight and having a divinely inspired holy book. Do Buddhists even believe in God? I haven't seen that they do. And I think Hindus are more polytheists? Buddhism, the Buddha, and Muhammad, just seems to copy Christianity, and try to claim it as something original, with Buddhism being more humanist, not even attributing creation to God. But as I said, I am not an expert at those relgions at all!

My church hosted a regular Sunday service where they brought a Hindu, Christian, Muslim and Buddist to talk about their faiths, to compare and contrast (like a panel). The place encourages open dialogue and questioning on these sorts of things. It was pretty interesting. I was surprised at the number of similarities between Muslim and Christian beliefs and many of the underlying principles across all of them were more similar than I thought they would be.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Buddhism, the Buddha, and Muhammad, just seems to copy Christianity, and try to claim it as something original, with Buddhism being more humanist, not even attributing creation to God. But as I said, I am not an expert at those relgions at all!

Buddhism was established hundreds of years before Jesus was born.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Buddhism was established hundreds of years before Jesus was born.

Okay, well, I said that wrong. Let's restate that as Buddhist concepts came way after the God of the patriarchs had revealed himself to Terah, the father of Abram, around 1800 bc. In my exploration of different religions, to find the truth, I have copied some stuff down in my spiritual journal about the Buddha. Here is what I copied down:

The 4 Noble Truths, the Noble Eightfold Path, and the definitions of Dependent origination, and Rejection of the infallibility of accepted scripture, and some other definitions. There is not much recorded that we can know for sure about Buddha. But surely he was enlightened.

I took from my brief study in Buddhism (from the above study and previous studies when I was an atheist) that it is rather vague, because the Noble Eightfold Path says you should have the "Right View, the Right Intention, the Right etc........" This is nice but not very much guidance that you can practically take, grab a hold of, and use. Also, I disagree with their views on suffering. Suffering comes from us, but suffering can also come from without us, from God, as punishment. I also disagree that 'nothing is satisfying.' Living for God can make one very joyful and satisfied, through communing with Him, and via other people, to glorify Him.

About the only thing I think is worth noting about the tenets of original Buddhism (and one must be careful that what they read isn't tainted by later followers) is that "teachings should not be accepted unless they are borne out by our experience and are praised by the wise." Nothing here about scientific method needing to be proved to believe something as Truth!

EDIT: Plus I see no obvious nor direct acknowledgment of God anywhere in their writings!!!!!

Nicodemus

It is the nature of your flesh to be able to practice homosexuality, to desire it, whether it is for love or for mere sex. If animals practice homosexuality occasionally, then that is just more proof that it is of the flesh.

The whole point is that to do God's will, you must rise above what the flesh drives you to do, and the desires of your heart. Because He knows what is best for you. And He has said in Genesis 2, the very beginning of the story, that he made a woman out of man, and that a man should leave his family and cling to his wife.

If someone dies, then God has the ability to provide for them again. Some might have a succession of Divine partners. And some might have none, only God. God was able to provide Job with more than he had before after everything he had was annihilated by the devil. God CAN do anything.
One could have a field day pointing out the logical inanities of your statements on this topic, and I happily would, if it were not entirely wasted on you.

I was surprised at the number of similarities between Muslim and Christian beliefs and many of the underlying principles across all of them were more similar than I thought they would be.
Do you still consider yourself a christian? If so, why?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My church hosted a regular Sunday service where they brought a Hindu, Christian, Muslim and Buddist to talk about their faiths, to compare and contrast (like a panel). The place encourages open dialogue and questioning on these sorts of things. It was pretty interesting. I was surprised at the number of similarities between Muslim and Christian beliefs and many of the underlying principles across all of them were more similar than I thought they would be.

Well, the Jews, the Christians, and the Muslims (the Abrahamic faiths) do all look at the Old Testament, even if they frame it differently, so there is some shared thought there.

What I find fascinating is how the Jews are far more flexible with their OT understanding than the modern conservative Christians, yet it was their book originally. Shouldn't they understand it the best?

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, the Jews, the Christians, and the Muslims (the Abrahamic faiths) do all look at the Old Testament, even if they frame it differently, so there is some shared thought there.

What I find fascinating is how the Jews are far more flexible with their OT understanding than the modern conservative Christians, yet it was their book originally. Shouldn't they understand it the best?

The Christians have rebellious child syndrome, where they can't ignore the Torah and their Jewish heritage, but need to differentiate themselves. The Muslims actually tried to integrate with the Jews, but got rejected... and the results reverberated through history. It's like a dysfunctional family.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^ which is funny. Because Christianity should, in theory, be the most liberal with it since Jesus came and said the old law was being done away with.

Mole

Permabanned
^ which is funny. Because Christianity should, in theory, be the most liberal with it since Jesus came and said the old law was being done away with.

I thought Jesus came to fulfill the Judaic Law.

After all, Jesus was a Judaic Messiah.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
12179_767733219904325_1562644749_n.jpg

thought was fitting, giving the way this thread is going