• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The GOD Thread~

Beorn

Permabanned
Actually it's beyond absurd. It's damaging and hurtful.

So please do everyone a favor and either recant or shut the hell up.

Alea_iacta_est

Do you have scriptures to support that assertion?

No, just basic, common morality

I recommend saving face by telling everyone you are a troll or by retracting your claim, because your credibility is starting to look like the Sochi Olympic's construction work.

BgCjEayCYAEIbbf.jpg:large

Mole

Permabanned
I'm afraid biblically some forms of child abuse are considered causing the child to sin, in the case of incest or sexual immorality.

It is also one of the worst sins to cause another to sin.

And today in Islam when a daughter is raped, the first impulse of the father is to kill the daughter.

Blaming the victim is as old as religion. It is called scapegoating.

And indeed Jesus is called the Lamb of God, the perfect sacrifice, the perfect scapegoat. So it is no wonder raped children are scapegoated.

á´…eparted

passages
Technically they do. They are undoubtedly forced to, most of the time, and God understands this.

But sinning is sinning.

Again, the point is that those who cause children to sin are held accountable to God.

Ok, I am not going to be nice, because this is NOT ok.

You are using your religious beliefs, something that can not be proven, and is not regarded to be true or universal, to justify and legitimize an act that is morally regarded to be unforgivable and horrible in every respect. Do you realise this? Do you realise that this is NOT AN OK BELIEF TO HAVE? Because if you don't, then quite frankly, you are a horrible person for believing so. It is these lines of thought that are driving some socieities to go backwards in social evolution and progress.

I can keep quiet about religious beliefs that I don't agree with most of the time. However, when they begin using their beliefs to justify moral acts and positions that are regarded to be bad, then that is where I draw the line. This has implications towards the progress of society as a whole, and it NEEDS to stop. It is damaging, and completely unforgivable. Rethink where you stand on this, in the absence of religion, because it is not the arbiter of morality. Honestly though? I bet that's beyond your ability, and that's sad.

Change your stance and I'll take back what I said, but if not, I mean every lick of what I said here.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
This thread is making me feel like I need a shower.

MBTI Type
INTJ
You are using your religious beliefs, something that can not be proven, and is not regarded to be true or universal, to justify and legitimize an act that is morally regarded to be unforgivable and horrible in every respect.

To be fair, nothing she said justifies or legitimizes that act. She didn't say that the perpetrators are not sinners, nor that what they did is okay. However, the fact that children are regarded to have committed a sin in this case, even against their will, is repugnant. Asserting so is indicative of the fact that a strict interpretation of the Bible is inconsistent, unreliable, and utterly lacking in even the most basic of internal logic. Yet, it's used by its adherents to make judgments that they act upon. That's the real crazy up in here.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No, just basic, common morality

I recommend saving face by telling everyone you are a troll or by retracting your claim, because your credibility is starting to look like the Sochi Olympic's construction work.

BgCjEayCYAEIbbf.jpg:large

:rofl1:

awesome.

I think the point is that this exchange shows that having scriptures on your side is no evidence of being right.

I believe in the Word of God, and I see no reason not to believe Jesus, especially when He is restating the OT Law.

I honestly fail to see what is so heinous about all of it? Of course the child is a victim!

Point here is that you can be a victim and still sin. You can sin unintentionally. You can sin intentionally. And you can sin presumptuously. All these are ways a person can sin. Children sin!

Ok, I am not going to be nice, because this is NOT ok.

You are using your religious beliefs, something that can not be proven, and is not regarded to be true or universal, to justify and legitimize an act that is morally regarded to be unforgivable and horrible in every respect. Do you realise this? Do you realise that this is NOT AN OK BELIEF TO HAVE? Because if you don't, then quite frankly, you are a horrible person for believing so. It is these lines of thought that are driving some socieities to go backwards in social evolution and progress.

I can keep quiet about religious beliefs that I don't agree with most of the time. However, when they begin using their beliefs to justify moral acts and positions that are regarded to be bad, then that is where I draw the line. This has implications towards the progress of society as a whole, and it NEEDS to stop. It is damaging, and completely unforgivable. Rethink where you stand on this, in the absence of religion, because it is not the arbiter of morality. Honestly though? I bet that's beyond your ability, and that's sad.

Change your stance and I'll take back what I said, but if not, I mean every lick of what I said here.

I am probably one of the biggest advocates against child abuse on this forum, if not THE biggest. I live it in practice, and I hold it true in theory.

Just because a child is made to sin, doesn't mean that the child is any less innocent.

Alea_iacta_est

I am probably one of the biggest advocates against child abuse on this forum, if not THE biggest. I live it in practice, and I hold it true in theory.

Just because a child is made to sin, doesn't mean that the child is any less innocent.

Why does this seem so akin to the "I'm not racist, some of my best friends are black" argument?

Mole

Permabanned
Point here is that you can be a victim and still sin. You can sin unintentionally. You can sin intentionally. And you can sin presumptuously. All these are ways a person can sin. Children sin!

This is good Christian doctrine. And it is called the Doctrine of Original Sin.

And the Doctrine of Original Sin depends upon Adam and Eve disobeying God in the Garden of Eden.

But the, Origin of Species, and the sequencing of the genome, tells us there was no Adam and Eve and so no Original Sin.

And if there is no Original Sin, there is no need for Redemption.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Why does this seem so akin to the "I'm not racist, some of my best friends are black" argument?

Eh, I don't know. I believe she's sincere and that she really is a strong advocate against child abuse. It's the insane bureaucracy of this whole thing that's mind boggling to me. It's analogous to defending one of those old timey laws like "ducks must wear long pants on Sunday" just because it's the law without examining whether it's a good law or not.

Yeah, yeah, I know, "all God's laws are good because they're God's." :dry:

gromit

likes this
He was clear about not causing children to sin; He said it would have been better for them to be cast into the sea with a millstone around their neck, than to cause a child to sin. How is that silent?
:(

How grotesque!

Child abuse does not cause a child to sin, it is the child who has been violated.

I am gonna have to agree w [MENTION=3325]Mole[/MENTION] on this one...........

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Technically they do. They are undoubtedly forced to, most of the time, and God understands this.

But sinning is sinning.

Again, the point is that those who cause children to sin are held accountable to God.

No. Just no. That's awful. I work with abused children and I can't even tell you how horrible the guilt they experience is. It will take decades of therapy for some of them to recover. I hope to God none of them EVER hear anything that implies they are somehow guilty for being abused. People commit suicide from hearing things like that.

In 21 years of church attendance I have never heard anyone imply something like that.

Alea_iacta_est

Eh, I don't know. I believe she's sincere and that she really is a strong advocate against child abuse. It's the insane bureaucracy of this whole thing that's mind boggling to me. It's analogous to defending one of those old timey laws like "ducks must wear long pants on Sunday" just because it's the law without examining whether it's a good law or not.

Yeah, yeah, I know, "all God's laws are good because they're God's." :dry:

Good ole' circular reasoning. More importantly, it's simply memorizing and applying the system without forming any direct opinion or using critical thinking to screen the actual system for imperfections.