• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The GOD Thread~

Mole

Permabanned
When it comes to calling I prefer Augustine.

"Love God and do what you want."

Saint Augustine taught that heretics should be tortured, and they were.

But why should we be surprised when Saint Augustine worshiped a God who ordered Abraham to tie up his son, Isaac, and stand over him with a butcher's knife, ready to cut his son up alive. This is child abuse.

And why should we be surprised when Saint Augustine revered Mary who gave birth to Jesus when she was 12 years old. And this is child abuse incurring a 25 year prison sentence in Oz.

And why should we be surprised when Augustine worshiped the Trinity where the Father tied his Son to the Cross and tortured him to death. And this is also child abuse.

And why should we be surprised when the Australian Royal Commission into Child Abuse is finding that the Church took part in organised child abuse and covered it up.

And why should we be surprised when the United Nations said the other day that one Church alone has abused tens of thousands of children in recent times and covered it up.

Gosh, Love God and do what you want, sums it all up, doesn't it?

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Jesus is very against child abuse. God is as well, despite the misinterpretation in the story of Abraham and Isaac.

It's men and women who perpetuate child abuse. Blame not God.

Children are so pure in His eyes, we must be like children to enter the kingdom of heaven.

Many have issues with God 'allowing' child abuse to happen. And that is a hard thing for us to understand. But even in the face of not understanding God's ways, we must have faith in His ultimate plan for good for us and our lives.

Mole

Permabanned
Jesus is very against child abuse. God is as well, despite the misinterpretation in the story of Abraham and Isaac.

It's men and women who perpetuate child abuse. Blame not God.

Children are so pure in His eyes, we must be like children to enter the kingdom of heaven.

Many have issues with God 'allowing' child abuse to happen. And that is a hard thing for us to understand. But even in the face of not understanding God's ways, we must have faith in His ultimate plan for good for us and our lives.

Please! The worst child abuse was carried out against slave children.

Jesus was surrounded by institutional slavery and said not a word against it.

Jesus was surrounded by the abuse of slave children, yet he remained silent.

And silence is complicity.

gromit

likes this
Sort of idealistic and limiting at the same time. Note that the people who come up with these types of quotes are preachers or theologians not plumbers or janitors.

When it comes to calling I prefer Augustine.

"Love God and do what you want."

Part of the good news is not that there is a calling somewhere out there in which you can find joy, but that you can find joy in any worthy calling.

Do you view calling synonymous with profession?

Beorn

Permabanned
Saint Augustine taught that heretics should be tortured, and they were.

But why should we be surprised when Saint Augustine worshiped a God who ordered Abraham to tie up his son, Isaac, and stand over him with a butcher's knife, ready to cut his son up alive. This is child abuse.

And why should we be surprised when Saint Augustine revered Mary who gave birth to Jesus when she was 12 years old. And this is child abuse incurring a 25 year prison sentence in Oz.

And why should we be surprised when Augustine worshiped the Trinity where the Father tied his Son to the Cross and tortured him to death. And this is also child abuse.

And why should we be surprised when the Australian Royal Commission into Child Abuse is finding that the Church took part in organised child abuse and covered it up.

And why should we be surprised when the United Nations said the other day that one Church alone has abused tens of thousands of children in recent times and covered it up.

Gosh, Love God and do what you want, sums it all up, doesn't it?

Consistently making off-topic posts is against the rules and could lead to banning.

Beorn

Permabanned
Do you view calling synonymous with profession?

I think it's inclusive of profession, but not limited to that. As a profession takes up most of a person's time that's what they're typically concerned about when it comes to calling.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Please! The worst child abuse was carried out against slave children.

Jesus was surrounded by institutional slavery and said not a word against it.

Jesus was surrounded by the abuse of slave children, yet he remained silent.

And silence is complicity.

Slavery was just another way the people were breaking the Law of God. It was not Jesus' mission to point out every way the people were breaking God's Law. That would have consumed Him night and day and was not the point. It was His mission to reach out to the lost sheep of Israel, those that were oppressed and enslaved.

He was clear about not causing children to sin; He said it would have been better for them to be cast into the sea with a millstone around their neck, than to cause a child to sin. How is that silent?

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
What do you guys think of this quote?

I like it... To an extent. I definitely agree that our purpose in life is to serve in some way. However, I disagree with the idea that we will always be glad to do it. I know people who have been called to things for a season that they have not enjoyed. I think the idea that God wants us to be happy always is a dangerous one that has lead some people to make poor choices.

Mole

Permabanned
Blame the Victim

He was clear about not causing children to sin; He said it would have been better for them to be cast into the sea with a millstone around their neck, than to cause a child to sin. How is that silent?

How grotesque!

Child abuse does not cause a child to sin, it is the child who has been violated.

So when defending the indefensible of child abuse, you are reduced to blaming the victim, even though the victim is an innocent child.

The child abusing Church blamed children to child abuse for centuries.

Blame the victim.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm afraid biblically some forms of child abuse are considered causing the child to sin, in the case of incest or sexual immorality.

It is also one of the worst sins to cause another to sin.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Technically they do. They are undoubtedly forced to, most of the time, and God understands this.

But sinning is sinning.

Again, the point is that those who cause children to sin are held accountable to God.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Uh, what you said is completely horrible? What you said, is saying that it is the childs fault for getting raped or subjected to incest.

Just iterating what the Bible says about it all.

It's really not that big a deal. From birth we are born sinful. David even says he came sinning from the womb:

Surely I was sinful at birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me. ~Psalm 51:5

Beorn

Permabanned
Technically they do. They are undoubtedly forced to, most of the time, and God understands this.

But sinning is sinning.

Again, the point is that those who cause children to sin are held accountable to God.

You have no idea what you're talking about.
I'm not even going to bother to argue the point as it's absurd.

Cygnus

But sinning is sinning.

Um, no, the child had no exercise of free will in the matter. You don't choose to sin, you don't sin.