User Tag List

First 78910111959 Last

Results 81 to 90 of 873

Thread: The GOD Thread~

  1. #81
    Senior Member Alea_iacta_est's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Socionics
    ILI
    Posts
    1,838

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    Because He is the Great Sovereign LORD Almighty. He is not one of many deities.

    Jews didn't even utter His name aloud because they feel He is so sacred and reverent. Have some respect for your God.
    Never got into monotheism, so respect should only be given in the second person in this case, which would be your god, in fact, I think I had more of a fascination and interest in polytheism than monotheism altogether.

    Did God ever directly say through his own voice (not indirectly, I know what you are thinking) that he is the only one out there? Why would other deities be bad anyhow? They could be subordinate to God if you so desired.

  2. #82
    failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni
    Posts
    5,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alea_iacta_est View Post
    Never got into monotheism, so respect should only be given in the second person in this case, which would be your god, in fact, I think I had more of a fascination and interest in polytheism than monotheism altogether.
    Well then, you are in the majority, because most people believe in idols (polytheism).

    Did God ever directly say through his own voice (not indirectly, I know what you are thinking) that he is the only one out there? Why would other deities be bad anyhow? They could be subordinate to God if you so desired.
    He spoke to Moses about it. And it became the first and second commandments, the most important commandments behind the two Great Commandments (to love God and to love your neighbor).

    It's not about what I desire. It's about the Truth. There is One God. He made you. He made me. He is watching us now. And He just wants the respect that is His due for creating us, and our love.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

    The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

    Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

    songofmary.wordpress.com


  3. #83
    Senior Member Alea_iacta_est's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Socionics
    ILI
    Posts
    1,838

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    Well then, you are in the majority, because most people believe in idols (polytheism).



    He spoke to Moses about it. And it became the first and second commandments, the most important commandments behind the two Great Commandments (to love God and to love your neighbor).

    It's not about what I desire. It's about the Truth. There is One God. He made you. He made me. He is watching us now. And He just wants the respect that is His due for creating us, and our love.
    I told you that I knew what you were thinking, that was an indirect example, second-hand information.

    I am not a follower of polytheism and neither can it be objectively defined as the worship of idols, for they probably see you as a worshiper of a sole idol and them the worshiper of the truth. In the objective eyes of all technical viewpoints, I am the only one who does not worship an idol, but I am not objectively the worshiper of truth, for none of us are, as there is no unanimity to one particular belief system.

    You evade the question, why is it bad to consider the possibility of deities subjected to God?

  4. #84
    philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    4,042

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    Well then, you are in the majority, because most people believe in idols (polytheism).
    Believing in/worshipping "idols" =/= polytheism.

  5. #85
    failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni
    Posts
    5,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alea_iacta_est View Post
    I told you that I knew what you were thinking, that was an indirect example, second-hand information.

    I am not a follower of polytheism and neither can it be objectively defined as the worship of idols, for they probably see you as a worshiper of a sole idol and them the worshiper of the truth. In the objective eyes of all technical viewpoints, I am the only one who does not worship an idol, but I am not objectively the worshiper of truth, for none of us are, as there is no unanimity to one particular belief system.

    You evade the question, why is it bad to consider the possibility of deities subjected to God?
    Because God commands us not to, and He is very clear about it in the Bible. It is stated over and over again.

    What do you believe then?

    Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    Believing in/worshipping "idols" =/= polytheism.
    It is in my book. I see no difference. Idols are deities and represent the divine. More than one divine deity = polytheism. Right?
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

    The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

    Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

    songofmary.wordpress.com


  6. #86
    Senior Member Alea_iacta_est's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Socionics
    ILI
    Posts
    1,838

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    Because God commands us not to, and He is very clear about it in the Bible. It is stated over and over again.
    What do you believe then?
    Still, in terms of technicality, the Bible is a second-hand source and an indirect word of God. If anything, the closest thing we have to a direct source of God's word would be the Dead Sea Scrolls, and those are hard to come by and are still inevitably indirect.

    I believe that God and all religions are metaphors attempting to humanize the same thing, existence; therefore, I believe in existence, which is neither an idol nor a deity.

  7. #87
    failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni
    Posts
    5,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alea_iacta_est View Post
    Still, in terms of technicality, the Bible is a second-hand source and an indirect word of God. If anything, the closest thing we have to a direct source of God's word would be the Dead Sea Scrolls, and those are hard to come by and are still inevitably indirect.

    I believe that God and all religions are metaphors attempting to humanize the same thing, existence; therefore, I believe in existence.
    The Bible is a starting place. And it is an ending place. It's the beginning and ending of the story of the Children of God. It opens with God's Law, the Torah, and it ends with Jesus' Gospel of grace and truth. The only other part of God we need is His Holy Spirit which we can feel by him directly. As I said in responding to Effem, we cannot JUST converse with God directly because He demands obedience and us to live in consciousness of Christ's sacrifice.

    The patriarchs of the religion of God are explained in the early narrative in the Bible. God spoke to several key holy men who, for the most part, got His word right. It's right because it has stood the test of time. It's okay that it's indirect. I have become certain of God as Truth and His word as divine over time of studying and meditating upon Him and the Bible.

    I worship God not just because He commands me to. I worship Him because I want to. Because I have, through many signs and wonders in my own life, become certain of Him and His existence. He is waiting for all His children to wake up and live in His compassion and grace and abundance, which is the message Christ brought.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

    The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

    Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

    songofmary.wordpress.com


  8. #88
    Senior Member Alea_iacta_est's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Socionics
    ILI
    Posts
    1,838

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    The Bible is a starting place. And it is an ending place. It's the beginning and ending of the story of the Children of God. It opens with God's Law, the Torah, and it ends with Jesus' Gospel of grace and truth. The only other part of God we need is His Holy Spirit which we can feel by him directly. As I said in responding to Effem, we cannot JUST converse with God directly because He demands obedience and us to live in consciousness of Christ's sacrifice.

    The patriarchs of the religion of God are explained in the early narrative in the Bible. God spoke to several key holy men who, for the most part, got His word right. It's right because it has stood the test of time. It's okay that it's indirect. I have become certain of God as Truth and His word as divine over time of studying and meditating upon Him and the Bible.

    I worship God not just because He commands me to. I worship Him because I want to. Because I have, through many signs and wonders in my own life, become certain of Him and His existence. He is waiting for all His children to wake up and live in His compassion and grace and abundance, which is the message Christ brought.
    I respect your adherence to a religion based on your own conclusions.

    I am not particularly fond that you refer to others' deities as idols, however, and even if you do believe yourself to be in the right, I would ask that you do not forsake those who have traveled a different path based on their own conclusions.

    I am curious to the second paragraph as well, how was it proven that they got the word of God right?

  9. #89
    failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni
    Posts
    5,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alea_iacta_est View Post
    I respect your adherence to a religion based on your own conclusions.

    I am not particularly fond that you refer to others' deities as idols, however, and even if you do believe yourself to be in the right, I would ask that you do not forsake those who have traveled a different path based on their own conclusions.

    I am curious to the second paragraph as well, how was it proven that they got the word of God right?
    This is "The GOD Thread" I was pretty clear I was referring to One God and LORD in the OP.

    I think that when God's Law can stand the test of time, it is just another illustration that it is right. It is right because God gave it to Moses. End of story. But Moses was just a man, even though he was a holy man of God. However, if the commandments of God did not serve man, then that would become apparent over time. God's Law has been serving man for about 3300 years now! Yes, Jesus changed it a bit, but overall it's still the best rule book we have to knowing how to serve God best.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

    The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

    Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

    songofmary.wordpress.com


  10. #90
    philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    4,042

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    It is in my book. I see no difference. Idols are deities and represent the divine. More than one divine deity = polytheism. Right?
    The word "idol" can have different meanings depending on context, and the Biblical context was specific. It didn't just mean deity, and deity does not equal idol. By your definition the commandment not to worship idols would just mean don't worship more than one idol; I'm pretty sure it means don't worship idols at all, worship the (correct) divine. It is implying that divinity cannot be found in material objects and the physical world if I remember correctly (which I disagree with, but that's another story).

    Edit:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idol

    So ok, an idol represents something one worships, but it doesn't necessarily have to be a deity which is worshipped. I suppose in the Biblical context it could have been an idol representing the "correct" god or it could represent "incorrect" gods, but I was pretty sure the lesson was that the problem was that the attention was being directed at the wrong thing. In any case, polythiesm does not involve idol worship any more than monotheism does. If an idol is just an image representing something worshipped, it can be in the context of any religion.

Similar Threads

  1. [MBTItm] The haiku thread...
    By anii in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 01-22-2017, 11:03 PM
  2. The Beer Thread
    By Noel in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 309
    Last Post: 02-03-2010, 12:07 PM
  3. The God in Every Man/Woman
    By mippus in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-04-2008, 03:10 AM
  4. Pot Pies: Food of the Gods?
    By Ivy in forum Home, Garden and Nature
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 08-13-2007, 12:11 PM
  5. The Hundredth Thread
    By Rajah in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-24-2007, 12:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO