First 3878868788

Thread: The GOD Thread~

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    I agree, we humans are meaning-seeking, and that is amazing and remarkable. You are right, that just because we seek/create meaning doesn't mean it exists or that the universe creates it. However, just because we seek meaning and create meaning does not mean that there is NOT meaning in the universe either.

Religion is simply an attempt of humans to find and create meaning. I don't really see an intellectual error.
    Well you either believe that there is a cosmic order, which exists independent of mankinds knowledge or apprehension or comprehension of it or there is no cosmic order what so ever and the very concept is merely a social construction or fable agreed upon.

That's one of those dichotomies unfortunately.

I personally think that there is a cosmic order, independent of man's knowledge of it but I also think that the knowledge of it is necessarily and always will be imperfect, although I dont think that should lead to the sorts of errors I think are at the heart of social constructionism, post-modernism and cultural relativism.

A lot of this I think stems from Descartes and "radical doubt" provoked by recognising the senses are not dependable, arising from discoveries like refraction, he put mankind at the middle and built outwards, "I think therefore I am" being the beginning and branching out from there to replace doubt with certainty.

As a result I think its easy to make a lot of mistakes believing that man and man's thinking make for order and everything outside of man, although the converse is actually what is true.

I dunno. I kind of go back and forth on it.

Is meaning my own construction or is meaning external to me? I have no idea, honestly, and I'm not even sure that it matters to how I live my life, because I'm still going to make decisions in accordance with the meaning that I have found via my experiences and reflections.

So maybe if you're a totally rational human being, and/or a robot, then you must pick one or the other. But I don't think it's a requirement.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess that's the "intellectual error part". Oh well. I can live with intellectual errors apparently.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    I dunno. I kind of go back and forth on it.

Is meaning my own construction or is meaning external to me? I have no idea, honestly, and I'm not even sure that it matters to how I live my life, because I'm still going to make decisions in accordance with the meaning that I have found via my experiences and reflections.

So maybe if you're a totally rational human being, and/or a robot, then you must pick one or the other. But I don't think it's a requirement.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess that's the "intellectual error part". Oh well. I can live with intellectual errors apparently.
    Meaning is somewhat mysterious. So mysterious we have been asking the meaning of meaning since 1923.

Yes, the meaning of meaning can make our heads spin unless we read the book The Meaning of Meaning introduced by Umberto Eco.
    Likes The Wailing Specter liked this post