MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Why so?

If you post something and no one cares, do you still have a point?

Reflect on that Koan grasshopper.
    Oh no, I have no problem offending people to get a point across, the problem is; it may conflict with the community guidelines if people seeing it as flaming or trolling. That's literally the only reason that I'd remove it.
    Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion man.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I'll be right back.

When you can produce posts which dont appear to contradict themselves in the space of the same single post. I'll understand if you think about it and decide you'd like to delete that post, its visible to more people than me and you might want to keep some sort of reputation intact.

Um, okay, where is the contradiction? What you highlighted doesn't seem to contradict... But if you explain how it does contradict, I'd be happy to admit it
    Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion man.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    451 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp Ni

If I were God, I would be so sick of people fawning over me, fixating on me, and getting down on their knees to kiss my ass, that I would shut the doors of heaven to everyone but casual atheists. So I think fans of hellfire and brimstone might be in for a little surprise when they walk up to the pearly gates. God is probably very lonely, and a rabid fan club that treats you like a magical genie doesn't make for good company.

I think the whole assumption that God would need to be worshiped and served is a naive holdover from the days when people felt threatened and powerless before their gods and so attempted to appease them in various different ways. Fortunately we've moved from human sacrifice to singing cheesy songs on Sunday morning.

If there is a God, he doesn't need you to tell him how great he is. He would probably prefer that you just sit down and have a nice conversation with him. Or maybe leave him alone for a change. He's the center of your universe, but you're not the center of his.

On a side note, every time I hear someone make some kind of logical argument for the existence of God, I suddenly find myself being a decided atheist. People have been coming up with logical arguments for the existence of God ever since logic was invented, and at this point, it's evident that it just doesn't work. The arguments are full of holes, and they don't change anyone's mind. It would be a million times better to give someone some kind of evidence. There isn't a lot of clear evidence for the existence God, so people will continue to BS their way through these logical arguments that weaken their position.
    [ Ni > Ti > Fe > Fi > Ne > Te > Si > Se ][ 4w5 sp/sx ][ RLOAI ][ IEI-Ni ]
    Likes OptoGypsy liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by iNtrovert View Post
    @johnnyyukon Your main problem is you have little to no understanding of the bible itself. The bible is the documentation about the fall of man, man’s separation from God through sin and the way in which God reconciled himself to man first through the Jews then to the Gentiles.

The Old Testament deals largely with the fall of man and God taking the first steps to reconcile himself with man through the Jews. God tried to govern the Jews directly but they were stubborn and did not listen so he gave them a set of specific rituals to follow so that they even before the coming of the Messiah could live a holy life set apart from the gentiles, this is what the law books are about. The law books were established with Moses which is why they are called the laws of Moses. The first 5 books of the bible are law books. They tell us about the fall of man establishing why we need the law, talk about how the nation of Israel was established and why the law was given to them and they also tell us what the laws were and how they were revealed.

The next 12 books or so are History. Just as there are lessons in modern history there are lessons in biblical history so it’s important. We learn about Israel and a nation and how god dealt with them and why.

The next set of books are poetry. They are filled with song and parables. We get cultural poems of praise despair love joy. Parables of wisdom and of folly.

The Next 17 or so book are books of prophesy. They foreshadow the coming of the lord and the way he will reconcile himself to not just the Jews but the entire world.
    The next 4 to 5 books are the gospels. These books are the prophecies being fulfilled by the birth death and resurrection of Christ. This is also the start of the New Testament in which the old law of the Old Testament is fulfilled and the new law is established. Jesus through his teachings, miracles death and resurrection was establishing the new plan of salvation so that everyone could live holy if they chose to follow him. The Jews wanted to be god’s specials snowflakes and denied him which brings me to the remaining books. Paul’s letters to the church and general letters are the foundation on which Christians today formed their many doctrines.

So it’s not that the Old Testament and things and laws are just there. They are important and we can learn things from them but the New Testament is where we found our doctrine today.
    It's raining, it's pouring, you're boring... perhaps you already answered this but if God is all knowing why did he make so many fucking mistakes and so far all you have shown in your own ignorance in the Bible esp. the NT (not the we have adopted the foundations but to the history of the foundations and how they came to be)

The love and mercy given to us by God is because God desires us to have it, not because of anything we have done to earn it lest no one should boast. (Ephesians 2:9)

For in Jesus, God's love for us is revealed. (John 17:26)

Jesus is the exact representation of God's being. (Hebrews 1:3)

He came to demonstrate that He is for us, not against us. (Romans 8:31)

And to tell us that He is not counting our sins. He died so that we could be reconciled. (2 Corinthians 5:18-19)

His death was the ultimate expression of love. (1 John 4:10)

MBTI
    ISTP
    Socionics
    SLI

Quote Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
    If I were God, I would be so sick of people fawning over me, fixating on me, and getting down on their knees to kiss my ass, that I would shut the doors of heaven to everyone but casual atheists. So I think fans of hellfire and brimstone might be in for a little surprise when they walk up to the pearly gates. God is probably very lonely, and a rabid fan club that treats you like a magical genie doesn't make for good company.
    Totally off topic of me, but I thought the same thing when I was reading JK Rowling's tweets about the attacks in France. There are all these people tweeting to her hoping for her approval. Probably the worst thing to do while talking to JK Rowling is mention Harry Potter for the 10,000,000th time, as though you're the first person who ever thought to mention it to her. Anyway, back on topic, I'm just passing through.

God is omnipresent. Praise God, from whom all blessings flow. Your prayers, praise and worship are no trouble to God. My ESFJ friend often won't pray for help because she worries God has more important things to do. That's silly! Pray! Worship! God loves you!

Quote Originally Posted by Skinny-Love View Post
    God is omnipresent. Praise God, from whom all blessings flow. Your prayers, praise and worship are no trouble to God. My ESFJ friend often won't pray for help because she worries God has more important things to do. That's silly! Pray! Worship! God loves you!
    Just as we should be careful what we wish for, we should be careful what we worship because what we worship, we become.

The power of our psyche to worship is as powerful as our sexual instinct or our survival instinct.

So we are wise to discern what it is we worship, so we may discern what we are becoming.
    Likes LonestarCowgirl liked this post

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Just as we should be careful what we wish for, we should be careful what we worship because what we worship, we become.

The power of our psyche to worship is as powerful as our sexual instinct or our survival instinct.

So we are wise to discern what it is we worship, so we may discern what we are becoming.
    Those are good points, the object of devotion is as important as the frame of reference or orientation in religion, there's plenty of people who want the kingdom but they dont want God in it, as Johnny Cash indicated in his song The Wanderer.

I also think this has been the topic of some good philosophical reflection which has been misunderstood by its popularisors.

Like Nietsche's objections to humanism, and chirstianity as he understood it, for its reverence for what was to him "human, all too human" in nature. Which has been revitalised in many ways by contemporary humanists and atheists in thier rejection to a deity or deities as objects of devotion.

The revering of humankind or, at least, the rejection of reverence for a deity can be either optimistic or pessimistic in character, utopian or dystopian, although a lot of the good and bad religion in the world doesnt really come to accounting with questions such as this.

I mean for the centrality of God and his son in Christianity there is not a great deal of discussion of the nature of either within official Christianity, at least I dont remember much, some of it I remember being discussed when I was very young but in a matter and manner of vagaries. I have only really read them considered in satisfactory or more satisfactory detail in Plato, Aristotle and others. Although I'm ignoring the church scholars too which is maybe unfair.