User Tag List

First 567891757 Last

Thread: The GOD Thread~

Quote Originally Posted by Nights and Days View Post
    Hey, do you mind expanding on this, even a little bit? I'm curious as to what you mean.
    It's called the God of the Gaps. Whenever we don't understand something natural we invoke God as the meaning. So God fills in the gaps in our understanding of the natural world.

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    It's called the God of the Gaps. Whenever we don't understand something natural we invoke God as the meaning. So God fills in the gaps in our understanding of the natural world.
    FALSE... not what I mean at all...
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    FALSE... not what I mean at all...
    Look ol' Gromit, the meaning of any communication is its response. So the meaning of your communication is my response.

My response can't possibly be false because it is the meaning of your post.

And what you mean is irrelevant, because the meaning of your post is my response.

If you are a half smart little gromit, you will run with this, and make your reply the meaning of this post.

Or is this too much to ask?

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

I am a non-trinitarian Christian in the traditional sense of the term. I believe in the trinity, but not in the way it is currently used in the Nicene Creed.

The Nicene Creed was written in 325 AD, about 300 years after the death of Christ. Calling Jesus God is blasphemy as far as I'm concerned. And I don't think those at the Council of Nicaea knew any more than I know about Christ's divinity.

Christianity mainly means believing that Christ is the Messiah, as Effem said.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    People I detest, exist. If my kid wants to call me Boba Fett instead of Mom, what do I care as long as they love me and do their best? If there's one God, then we're all talking to the same one, and there's nobody else for it to detest to resent us calling it.
    Not a good argument. Boba Fett was kinda badass.

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Kind of a sweeping generalization for all but isolated primitive cultures, don't you think?

MBTI
    INFX
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    I am a non-trinitarian Christian in the traditional sense of the term. I believe in the trinity, but not in the way it is currently used in the Nicene Creed.

The Nicene Creed was written in 325 AD, about 300 years after the death of Christ. Calling Jesus God is blasphemy as far as I'm concerned. And I don't think those at the Council of Nicaea knew any more than I know about Christ's divinity.

Christianity mainly means believing that Christ is the Messiah, as Effem said.
    Yup

If the Nicene Creed was so important it would of been in the bible. The bible is only clear on a couple issues about doctrine

1. The resurrection of Christ happened

2. Jesus came in the flesh

3. And circumcision, and other ot laws are no longer needed.

Everything else Christians fight about are just made up.

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by inventor View Post
    Yup

If the Nicene Creed was so important it would of been in the bible. The bible is only clear on a couple issues about doctrine

1. The resurrection of Christ happened

2. Jesus came in the flesh

3. And circumcision, and other ot laws are no longer needed.

Everything else Christians fight about are just made up.
    The Bible doesn't say number 3.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    INFX
    Enneagram

The Bible doesn't say number 3.
    It does say circumcision is no longer needed. At least I though it did, could be wrong.

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

It does say circumcision is no longer needed. At least I though it did, could be wrong.
    It does. Paul does. I just don't think that Paul has the right to change the Law and the Prophets. I think he has the right to help us understand how to be a good Christian. But not change God's Law. In the New Testament, only Jesus has the right to change God's Law.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    Life Path 11

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

The mindset that isn't fair to God is the one of calling Him by other names, especially names of gods and goddesses. If you were a parent, would you like your child to call you by the name of someone you detested? How much more strongly does our Creator feel about us lumping Him in with The Universe, or gods and goddesses? Yes, to you, it might feel the same, but it isn't the same. Especially not to God.

When you love someone, you give them respect. More than anything God wants us to love Him. If you are calling Him by another name, you probably don't know Him very well.

He loves you so much He is always watching you, waiting for you to notice Him! Why don't you try loving Him, which starts by calling Him by His name. God, Elohim, or Adonai.
    Do you think God is offended by those who call him Gott or Dieu or Bog? How about Allah? All of these are simply other words for God. What if we call him Jesus or Christ? It's not such a leap from these names to all the others. If there is only one God, then all those god and goddess names can refer only to one thing.

It works the same with people, too. Here I am Coriolis. On other forums, I have been known by other names. At work, I am sometimes Dr. [lastname]. My niece and nephew call me Auntie [first name]. My mom used to call me honey; my SO sometimes does, too. And my friends and coworkers all call me by the name I detest: my given first name. I don't feel disrespected by this. I am used to it, and happy for their friendship and collaboration. To insist on something different would cause needless confusion and awkwardness. The different names reflect the fact that I am different things to different people, though ultimately the same one "me". If we limited humans can manage all this, so much more can the omnipotent, omniscient divine. I think he/she, too, would be happy if only people did call out more, whatever name they were comfortable using.

Bible verses like these suggest that circumcision is indeed no longer needed:

Galatians 5:14
    For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: "Love your neighbor as yourself."

Mark 12:28-31
    One of the teachers of the law came and heard them debating. Noticing that Jesus had given them a good answer, he asked him, “Of all the commandments, which is the most important?”

"The most important one,” answered Jesus, “is this: ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one.[a] Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’[b] The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[c] There is no commandment greater than these.”

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    To me, any denomination that has as its central tenet salvation based on Jesus' death and resurrection is Christian. That's why it's called Christianity. The rest is window dressing. I'm sure most Christian denominations would disagree with that simple a definition, but that's because they have their own dogmas. Hence some evangelicals saying that Catholics aren't "real" Christians and several denominations saying Mormons aren't "real" Christians. They can hardly be expected to view the matter objectively. But we should.
    My sentiments exactly. My experience with a variety of Christian denominations as a substitute organist bears out the vast similarities and (to an outsider) relatively minor differences.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...