User Tag List

First 747555657585967 Last

Thread: The GOD Thread~

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    I did my best. The rest is up to God. Praying for you~
    This is the most condescending sentiment ever. What a backhanded insult.

If the god you've found turns you into this, you might want to continue on with the search. For humanity's sake.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

I am a firm believer in the Bible and follow these verses especially:

"I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man. She must be quiet." (1 Timothy 2:12)

"Go, now, attack Amalek, and deal with him and all that he has under the ban. Do not spare him, but kill men and women, children and infants, oxen and sheep, camels and asses." (1 Samuel 15:3)

"You shall not let a sorceress live." (Exodus 22:18)

"Happy those who seize your children and smash them against a rock." (Psalm 137:9)

"Wives should be subordinate to their husbands as to the Lord." (Ephesians 5:22)

"Slaves, be subject to your masters with all reverence, not only to those who are good and equitable but also to those who are perverse." (1 Peter 2:18)

Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man. (Numbers 31:17)

If a man is found sleeping with another man’s wife, both the man who slept with her and the woman must die. You must purge the evil from Israel. (Deuteronomy 22)

If your very own brother, or your son or daughter, or the wife you love, or your closest friend secretly entices you, saying, "Let us go and worship other gods," do not yield to them or listen to them. Show them no pity. You must certainly put them to death. Your hand must be the first in putting them to death, and then the hands of all the people. (Deuteronomy 13:6-9)

Jesus: "But those enemies of mine who did not want me to be king over them--bring them here and kill them in front of me." Luke (19:27)
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

MBTI
    Ni
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    I am a firm believer in the Bible and follow these verses especially:
    Sigh Context is everything.You need to be honest with yourself about how little you actually know about the bible and its interpretations. For the life of me I don’t understand how people, Christians and non-Christians, claim to agree/disagree with what the bible says when they obviously haven’t even bothered to study it. It’s even worse when they try to be witty, sarcastic and arrogant about it flaunting their own ignorance and end up making a colossal fool out of themselves.

"I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man. She must be quiet." (1 Timothy 2:12)
    This is an example of a hapax legomenon as the Greek word that is translated into “authority” is only used once in the scripture. When dealing with ancient witting we need to lean on the theme of the text or creed in its entirety as we do not glean meaning from a hapax legomenon.
    The context of Timothy was a letter written by Paul to Timothy. The purpose was to instruct Timothy in how to deal with false doctrine pertaining to a goddess that was corrupting the early church. To support this the word woman is used and not women plural as to mean all women everywhere. So this text in context seems to suggest he is referring to the goddess specifically when he says woman.
    Also, Phoebe is mentioned as being a savant. The Greek word for servant is diakonos which is deacon as deacons were servants of the lord. The words servant of the lord is best interpreted to mean deacon or spiritual teacher. We also know that Paul recommends phoebe for instrution in Romans 16:1 “I commend to you our sister Phoebe, a deacon of the church in Cenchreae.” Historically it is said that she is the one who delivered the letter to the romans as Paul was not permitted to visit Rome at the time.
    Finally in Galatians 3:28 it states “There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus” So there can be no spiritual distinction between male in female in the church for we are all on in Christ. So let’s recap
    1 the word used that translates into authority is only used once making it a hapax lemoganon so we cannot us this verse for interpretation alone.
    2 In context Timothy is mainly about the corruption of the church by a goddess. The singular from of the word woman is used opposed to women.
    3 Phoebe was recommended by Paul himself to the Romans and is a spiritual servant known as a Deacon.
    4 Paul the same man who recommended Phoebe accepting her as a spiritual servant or Deacon wrote the letter to Timothy
    4 Galatians states there should be no distinction between male and female in Christ.

"Go, now, attack Amalek, and deal with him and all that he has under the ban. Do not spare him, but kill men and women, children and infants, oxen and sheep, camels and asses." (1 Samuel 15:3)
    This was in wartime, as Samuel is a book of history. The nation was trying to come up against the nation of Israel. This was a conflict that was going on since the days of Moses. Exodus 17:15-16 Moses built an altar and called it The LORD is my Banner. 16 He said, “Because hands were lifted up against[c] the throne of the LORD,[d] the LORD will be at war against the Amalekites from generation to generation.”
    It was only because of their unrepentant hatred for god and the nation of Israel that this was ordered. Keep in mind they are still under the Old Testament law that was always meant to be temporary and doesn’t apply in the New Testament after the coming of Christ.

Exodus is a law book the old law is fulfilled in the New Testament by Christ. It’s the same idea as the other quotes form the Old Testament law books, they were temporary. I address this point later in so I’m not going to go into this here.

"Happy those who seize your children and smash them against a rock." (Psalm 137:9)
    No children were harmed Psalms is a book of Poetry. The person who wrote this was in captivity in Babylon and was expressing that for all the torment Babylon put them through they wished the same on them. Psalms 137:1-8
    y the rivers of Babylon we sat and wept
    when we remembered Zion.
    2 There on the poplars
    we hung our harps,
    3 for there our captors asked us for songs,
    our tormentors demanded songs of joy;
    they said, “Sing us one of the songs of Zion!”
    4 How can we sing the songs of the LORD
    while in a foreign land?
    5 If I forget you, Jerusalem,
    may my right hand forget its skill.
    6 May my tongue cling to the roof of my mouth
    if I do not remember you,
    if I do not consider Jerusalem
    my highest joy.
    7 Remember, LORD, what the Edomites did
    on the day Jerusalem fell.
    “Tear it down,” they cried,
    “tear it down to its foundations!”

"Wives should be subordinate to their husbands as to the Lord." (Ephesians 5:22)
    Cherry Picking at its finest lol.. Ephesians 5:25-33
    25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;
    26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,
    27 That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.
    28 So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself.
    29 For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church:
    30 For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones.
    31 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.
    32 This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.
    33 Nevertheless let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself; and the wife see that she reverence her husband.
    This clearly describes a give and take relationship. They are expected to respect and love each other equally.

"Slaves, be subject to your masters with all reverence, not only to those who are good and equitable but also to those who are perverse." (1 Peter 2:18)
    Slaves in this sense is not the same as American slavery. It was a type of servitude to pay off debts. The purpose of this verse was to point out no matter what class or situation you find yourself in do not dishonor god or your faith by being unruly in the face of adversity. Always remember not to lose sight of who you are because if you do people will say your faith has caused you to act out and you wont be able to receive the word of god.
    1Peter 2:18
    12 Having your conversation honest among the Gentiles: that, whereas they speak against you as evildoers, they may by your good works, which they shall behold, glorify God in the day of visitation.
    13 Submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord's sake: whether it be to the king, as supreme;
    14 Or unto governors, as unto them that are sent by him for the punishment of evildoers, and for the praise of them that do well.
    15 For so is the will of God, that with well doing ye may put to silence the ignorance of foolish men:
    16 As free, and not using your liberty for a cloke of maliciousness, but as the servants of God.
    17 Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the king.

Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man. (Numbers 31:17)
    This was in war time against a nation that threatened Israel and they did not kill everyone.
    “they slew all the males--This was in accordance with a divine order in all such cases (Deuteronomy 20:13 ). But the destruction appears to have been only partial--limited to those who were in the neighborhood of the Hebrew camp and who had been accomplices in the villainous plot of Baal-peor ( Numbers 25:1-3 ), while a large portion of the Midianites were absent on their pastoral wanderings or had saved themselves by flight. (Compare Judges 6:1 ).”

If a man is found sleeping with another man’s wife, both the man who slept with her and the woman must die. You must purge the evil from Israel. (Deuteronomy 22)
    The penalty for adultery in that time was death. Deuteronomy is a book of law. This is also an old testament text meaning that a lot of these laws were temporary. In John 8 we see this ideal of death for adultery passing away when the law of Moses is being used to condemn her
    John 8:3-7
    3 And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst,
    4 They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act.
    5 Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou?
    6 This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not.
    7 So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

If your very own brother, or your son or daughter, or the wife you love, or your closest friend secretly entices you, saying, "Let us go and worship other gods," do not yield to them or listen to them. Show them no pity. You must certainly put them to death. Your hand must be the first in putting them to death, and then the hands of all the people. (Deuteronomy 13:6-9)
    Again Deuteronomy is an old book of law. In the New Testament the law was fulfilled by the death an resurrection of Jesus so we are not bound by the old law of the Jews. People are no longer put to death for idolatry but it is still wrong and if they do not repent they will be condemned for it.
    Romans 1:21-25
    21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,
    23 And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.
    24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:
    25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.
    The chaper ends with saying thos that do these things are worthy of death but in Romans 2 it is made clear that only God has the right to punish them as we are all guilty of sin.
    Romans 2: 1 -2 Therefore thou art inexcusable, O man, whosoever thou art that judgest: for wherein thou judgest another, thou condemnest thyself; for thou that judgest doest the same things.
    2 But we are sure that the judgment of God is according to truth against them which commit such things.

Jesus: "But those enemies of mine who did not want me to be king over them--bring them here and kill them in front of me." Luke (19:27)
    This was a part of a parable or story Jesus was telling and no one actually dies…
    Luke 19 11-121And as they heard these things, he added and spake a parable, because he was nigh to Jerusalem, and because they thought that the kingdom of God should immediately appear.
    12 He said therefore, A certain nobleman went into a far country to receive for himself a kingdom, and to return.
    And the story continues to include the text in verse 27

My advice to you would be to do some serious intellectual study of the bible before you try to use biblical quotes to make a point. If you continue to operate under this horribly misconstrued understanding, it will be to your own intellectual detriment.
    "Re-examine all that you have been told... dismiss that which insults your soul."_Walt Whitman
    Likes Evee, SD45T-2, AphroditeGoneAwry, ESFJ liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

While I do empathize with the tone of johnnyyukon's post given recent goings-on in the thread, @iNtrovert, that was a really educated and well-written response. I enjoy learning more about Biblical translation and the contextual background. Thank you for sharing your understanding!

MBTI
    Ni
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    While I do empathize with the tone of johnnyyukon's post given recent goings-on in the thread, @iNtrovert, that was a really educated and well-written response. I enjoy learning more about Biblical translation and the contextual background. Thank you for sharing your understanding!
    No problem but this makes me want to go back through this thread and see what could make you gree with the tone of johnnyyukon's post.
    "Re-examine all that you have been told... dismiss that which insults your soul."_Walt Whitman

literally your mother PocketFullOf's Avatar
    MBTI
    NeTi
    Enneagram
    pot

I'm agnostic, I guess everyone is though when you think about it. No one knows for sure.

Taking a concept to it's logical end is rarely logical or relevant to the subject at hand.
    Johari Nohari
    7w6-3w2-1w9 / sCUA|I| / SER SEI
    Neutral Good
    bagfullofclocks | type me if you can

MBTI
    Ni
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by PocketFullOf View Post
    I'm agnostic, I guess everyone is though when you think about it. No one knows for sure.
    I'm not agnostic. Everyone is not agnostic. Stop it lol.
    Likes five sounds liked this post

literally your mother PocketFullOf's Avatar
    MBTI
    NeTi
    Enneagram
    pot

Quote Originally Posted by iNtrovert View Post
    I'm not agnostic. Everyone is not agnostic. Stop it lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia
    Agnosticism is the view that the truth values of certain claims—especially claims about the existence or non-existence of God, as well as other religious and metaphysical claims—are unknown or unknowable.
    In order to not be agnostic you'd have to know for sure that God either exists or doesn't. That's why a lot of people call themselves agnostic theist or agnostic atheist. I'm not saying that everyone believes themselves to be agnostic or identifies with it, but on a certain level they are even so, I'm talking much more broadly, I'm saying that there is no way to know for sure.

That's why its called faith. I lean towards theism myself anyway.

Taking a concept to it's logical end is rarely logical or relevant to the subject at hand.
    Johari Nohari
    7w6-3w2-1w9 / sCUA|I| / SER SEI
    Neutral Good
    bagfullofclocks | type me if you can

Likes JAVO, johnnyyukon liked this post

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by iNtrovert View Post
    Sigh Context is everything.

My B! I forgot you have to be a bible scholar to read all those crazy verses the way they were supposed to be read: in the bathing light of God's love!

I will devote the rest of my days to studying the bible so I can quote them on a forum showing how they are "just history" and old dusty laws and not the word of God. The guy who wrote Psalms was just ticked off and in jail when he wrote that kid smashing against rock thing. Ya learn something everyday!

Or wait, are they still the word of God? And wait again, so those were old laws and just history, so the rest of the bible is too? See, darn it, I'm confused again.

Off to earn my PHD in Bible Scholarism! I was a fool to think the Bible isn't clear and to ever try to read it without an expert close by!
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.