Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

"To see a world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wild flower.."

We never left the Garden. We are still there, we have simply forgotten how to be. Heaven is in the present moment. If only you learn to see again, slip away from all you've known.. the garden holds such incredible beauty..

"Gratitude is heaven itself." -William Blake

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    You also erroneously have an "all or nothing" view of the universe. Just because something might not have universal significance across the board for everyone does not mean that it doesn't have personal significance to me in my particular corner of the universe; and that's actually acceptable.
    I doubt very much that that's Beorn's actual view of the world. He just wants to win the argument, whether it's by obfuscating, deflecting, using fallacies, putting words into people's mouths...

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    I doubt very much that that's Beorn's actual view of the world. He just wants to win the argument, whether it's by obfuscating, deflecting, using fallacies, putting words into people's mouths...
    Oh. I'm trying to give people the benefit of the doubt. *shrug*
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Oh. I'm trying to give people the benefit of the doubt. *shrug*
    That's what happens when you don't believe in Jeebus you heathen.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    The existence of God is the ONLY way ANY "fantasy" like significance, love, meaning etc. can be grounded in reality. It's illogical and inconsistent to reject God and then think that it's somehow superior to only pretend that life has significance and not that life is governed by God.
    If you are currently operating within the paradigm that your/the God is the only truth, then yes, this holds true. Similarly, people who are not within your paradigm cannot understand how you feel so strongly. Our understandings of life outside our paradigms are limited by our paradigms. However, once we leave that paradigm... well, significance, love, meaning, beauty, truth... they are all still present, even if you can't see or believe it. Fortunately, those who leave your paradigm discover this. This remains true even if you end up being right in the end. Those on the outside still have found significance, love, meaning, and so on. Perhaps they lack something... like an understanding of the world through your eyes. Is that worth hellfire? Well, ultimately, isn't that something only God could decide? It is not the human role to judge, but to love, and encourage, and support, and hope...

Moreover, suicide, in the vast majority of cases, has nothing to do with taking a religious stance. Typically, it is a devastating and irreversible consequence of people suffering in solitude and feeling trapped, hopeless, and like there is no other way out. To me it is highly distasteful bordering on potentially harmful to imply it, however indirectly, as the "only" option for those who are not in agreement with your beliefs to fully live a meaningful life.

MBTI
    yupp

god arguments are stupid. you can neither prove nor disprove god. there can not be an end, it's just back and forth.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so
    Likes Ene, 93JC, The Wailing Specter liked this post

The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Quote Originally Posted by inventor View Post
    Well my problem with the whole Jesus, and bible thing is the bible is 50% violence, god acts like Zeus, and war, and the other is ok, but that 50% I cannot accept.
    Agreed.
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan

Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    I love God so much I'm bumping this thread.

Has anyone found themselves drawing closer to God? If so, I'd love to hear about it.
    First, I've been watching this thread a bit and it's got me to thinking. Look out. That's dangerous. I'm just warning you. haha.

Secondly, I interpreted the original post [or at least this updated version; I haven't read the older portions of the thread.] to be for those who already believed or have had some sort of experience. She didn't say she wanted to hear about whether or not we believed in the validity or existence of a god. I think that somehow the thread went that way anyways. However I may be wrong in my interpretation. So, to me, the solution is simple. If you don't believe in God, don't read a thread addressed to those who do. That's like going to a bar and complaining because that there's alcohol. So, I suggest that if you want to argue the existence of God then dedicate a thread to "Arguing the Existence or Non-existence of God--warning, it is the thread that never ends." Because @prplchknz is right. Arguing the existence is endless. Arguments sound like a bunch of people all just trying to prove who's right, like a massive ego trip. Either believe or don't believe but don't belittle or make fun of others who choose to see things differently.

I'm not trying to sound harsh. I'm just saying that I feel like the thread got derailed a little bit along the way. If I am wrong and the OP meant for it to be a discussion about the existence or non-existence of a deity, then I apologize, but I interpreted it to be addressed to those who had a positive experience. I took it to mean that she wanted to hear about those experiences.
    A student said to his master: "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?" The master replied: "It is better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war." - unknown/Chinese

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=61024&page=14
    Likes gromit liked this post

The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    god arguments are stupid. you can neither prove nor disprove god. there can not be an end, it's just back and forth.
    I can disprove specific many specific god-claims, but the larger concept of god and gods is, in fact, untouchable. The flood story, for example, is so ridiculous that it can only be mythology. If one portion of the Bible is mythology, what of the other parts? This only applies to the God of the Bible, but I feel I have made a pretty solid case against that specific god.

I can neither prove nor disprove a being who does not interfere with daily life. I have a hunch that such a being is as real as time-traveling dinosaurs who live on a planet circling the next star over though.

I will say this, though, religion is not all that bad if it is moderate and makes room for science and reason.
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan