failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Qrious View Post

If you stopped looking at the philosophy of Buddhism from the Abrahamic religions' didactic point of view, you would understand quite a lot more about what Buddhism is aiming to teach.

At its core, there is no "self", there is no you, or me, or he or she or they or any other individual entity. That is the illusion of the ego. As such, if you extend this thought, you'll see how the concept of God then deteriorates, as "god" as a distinct OTHER becomes irrelevant, when we stop perscribing each individual as an individual entity. The goal, the aim, then is nirvana, to basically transcend this game of life, and death, and reach a state of enlightenment, where ego falls away, and as such, there is no you, as different than me, as different than she, as different than he, as different than "god", the HE.
    I understand and agree about the ego falling away, but God created us to be distinctly different, to have different strengths and weaknesses, and to serve Him in very different ways, via His Divine Will.

We are not illusions. We are real, and exactly how God intended us to be. To wash that away, or overlook it, is not only an affront to Him who made us, but it is akin to putting ourselves on the same level of God.

Reminds me of Shirley Maclain who said in some video interview that she was God. Is she a Buddhist?

One can hope to come close to being God, but God is a Divine, real Being, not a coalescence of imperfect life deluding itself into believing it's its own creator.

Quote Originally Posted by Showbread View Post
    Came across this verse in my study today and I was curious as to your interpretation of it: "Here there is not Greek and Jew, circumcised and uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave, free; but Christ is all, and in all." Colossians 3:11 ESV

To me this says that are now equal in Christ... I would think if it was still considered important to practice Judaism surely Paul would have encouraged us to do so? I also would like to point out that I do not have any Judean roots. I am not Jewish, nor have I ever been...

I don't think "apathy" is the correct word to describe my attitude towards the laws in the Torah. Apathy implies I recognize them but am too lazy to follow through. This is not the case. I do not think they are necessary.
    Yes! Jesus is the end of the story! But He is not the beginning of the story! The beginning of the story goes back to the Patriarchs, the Prophets and the Law. Jesus is a necessary part of the story, but not all of the story. Paul was enamored with Him because religion had become so steeped in legalism and debauchery that Jesus was a refreshing and necessary reminder of God's compassion, and of the need to have faith and trust in God.

Paul decided, along with other early church fathers, to forego making the gentiles learn, and adhere to, the Law. I think this was a mistake. It ignores much of the OT, and I don't believe God is pleased about it, honestly, because it is stated throughout the Torah that "this is an everlasting covenant forever!" Jesus himself said He did not come to replace the Law, but finish it. Paul never met Jesus while He was alive. Paul made the decision to go easy on the Gentiles. Jesus Himself never said that. In fact, His whole mission was to the 'lost sheep of Israel', Jews who had fallen away from God.

Christian conceptualists take Christianity completely out of context. It is not advantageous for us to forego our Jewish roots. And whether you are Jewish by DNA or not, if you believe in the One God, and in Jesus' sacrifice for us, you are one of His Chosen Ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilogen View Post
    To worship God, you must devote all of your existence to his will.
    The prospect of entering heaven is completely selfish.
    You can not follow God or enter heaven because you want to enter heaven, no matter how much of the law you uphold.

We cannot at present predict how a given human brain would work during its lifetime, but in this world, under a given set of circumstances, however unpredictable the outcomes may be, there is only one outcome that will be true, though we may not know what it is.

Scientists have found parts of the brain that analog all facets of personal identity that we attribute to the soul. Ergo, the brain most likely generates the soul.

The human brain is just a biological machine. If the function of a single given human brain were fully understood and the information put in were understood, we could predict how that human brain would react to the input information. In other words, everything we think, all of time has led up to that decision. Personal choice is just a function of a brain that functions according to the predictable logical rules of how machines work: if this part is in this position and this input is put in, then this output will come out. In other words, we are predestined.

Ergo, some people will have the desire to actually worship God with no thought of how they will benefit from it. If a person makes the conscious choice to change their minds to be good and loving, then we could have predicted that they made that choice and they were bound to do it all along.

So it's not this subjective "Believe in God, go to heaven; don't believe, go to Hell" that Western society makes it out to be. He that believes not is condemned already, he's not going to be condemned.

In other words, either I go to heaven or go to hell, and wherever I will end up I can't change, because a decision to change is influenced by factors in my environment that effectively "control" the machine of my brain. You're either already in or you're already out.

I actually believe this is Hell. Lol. Not necessarily Type C, but sometimes yes! but how we treat each other on earth.

But I do believe God will put our souls where they deserve to be; either with Him--close to Him or far away from Him, or back here on earth for another go round. Your little mind/brain cannot know the workings of God! Suffice it to say it's probably WAY more intense and foreboding that you give it credit for being.

God is IN OUR BRAIN. He is in every cell of our body! He has the ability to influence you or leave you alone. IF science finds out the inner workings of the brain to that detail, they will find God behind it all. And, trust me, God will not like that. Nor allow it to go on for long.

Also, I was a sort-of believer, an atheist, and now am reborn into and unto God. I'm a ascetic and recluse for Him. I worship Him and delight in Him every day. IF my brain suddenly changed, it's because He flipped switches in it.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilogen View Post
    To worship God, you must devote all of your existence to his will.
    God is a person who wants to be worshipped.

But what kind of person wants to be worshipped?

A person who wants to be worshipped has not grown beyond the narcissistic phase of early childhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Showbread View Post
    Came across this verse in my study today and I was curious as to your interpretation of it: "Here there is not Greek and Jew, circumcised and uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave, free; but Christ is all, and in all." Colossians 3:11 ESV

To me this says that are now equal in Christ... I would think if it was still considered important to practice Judaism surely Paul would have encouraged us to do so? I also would like to point out that I do not have any Judean roots. I am not Jewish, nor have I ever been...

I don't think "apathy" is the correct word to describe my attitude towards the laws in the Torah. Apathy implies I recognize them but am too lazy to follow through. This is not the case. I do not think they are necessary.
    Christianity does say we are all equal in Christ, but we had to wait for the European Enlightenment of the 17th and 18th centuries to discover universal freedom and equality.

So Christianity gave us the limited equality of Christians, but the Enlightenment gave us universal freedom and equality, expressed in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights on 10th of December, 1948.

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    I understand and agree about the ego falling away, but God created us to be distinctly different, to have different strengths and weaknesses, and to serve Him in very different ways, via His Divine Will.

We are not illusions. We are real, and exactly how God intended us to be. To wash that away, or overlook it, is not only an affront to Him who made us, but it is akin to putting ourselves on the same level of God.

Reminds me of Shirley Maclain who said in some video interview that she was God. Is she a Buddhist?

One can hope to come close to being God, but God is a Divine, real Being, not a coalescence of imperfect life deluding itself into believing it's its own creator.
    This shows a distinct lack of understanding. You can't disagree with a point if you don't understand its premise first. What would be more accurate is to say that you don't understand Buddhism, not that you can't agree with its philosophy.

We are not illusions. How we play our our life, as guided by our egos, and our belief in this ego-veil as reality, is an illusion because it is not enlightened to the truth.

But, nvm.

You're not the first person, who I've discussed this with, coming from a deeply-held Judeo-Christian faith that is willfully blinded to understanding the philosophical outlook within Eastern religions. That, and, you have a self-serving interest in not understanding. Because it validates your "truth".

I cannot walk through a closed door. And you have bolted yours shut.

And 'Thou shalt not' writ over the door;
    So I turn'd to the Garden of Love,
    That so many sweet flowers bore.

And I saw it was filled with graves,
    And tomb-stones where flowers should be:
    And priests in black gowns were walking their rounds,
    And binding with briars my joys & desires.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

This shows a distinct lack of understanding. You can't disagree with a point if you don't understand its premise first. What would be more accurate is to say that you don't understand Buddhism, not that you can't agree with its philosophy.

We are not illusions. How we play our our life, as guided by our egos, and our belief in this ego-veil as reality, is an illusion because it is not enlightened to the truth.

But, nvm.

You're not the first person, who I've discussed this with, coming from a deeply-held Judeo-Christian faith that is willfully blinded to understanding the philosophical outlook within Eastern religions. That, and, you have a self-serving interest in not understanding. Because it validates your "truth".

I think I've made pretty good statements outlining why I can't get on board with Buddhism. I understand the concept, I think, or at least I've tried to. If I can't understand it by now, there is a good chance it's because it simply isn't true. Or doesn't make sense.

And, Victor, God is not a 'person.'
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by phobik View Post
    clearly he's a hedge hog made up of math problems
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Default Words or songs during hard times?

A FB friend posted a status asking people's favorite bible verses during hard times.

I posted this one:

2 Tim 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

I like that one because it focuses on simple things, feelings, and drawing strength from the goodness inside of us and not dwelling on things we cannot control. Sort of reminding you of your higher nature when you are feeling a little bit weaker in life.

And I also posted this song by Sufjan Stevens, even though it's not technically from the bible.

But I always imagine this from God's perspective towards us. The lyrics are so lovely, and I think there are some subtle bible references in the words. About being known, about finding a safe place to rest your weary soul, etc.

So anyone else got any good ones?
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

ndovjtjcaqidthi

I always liked this:

Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares. Hebrews 13:2