Thread: The GOD Thread~

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    I have looked into those religions and personally not found them to be anywhere near Judeo-Christianity for spiritual insight and having a divinely inspired holy book. Do Buddhists even believe in God? I haven't seen that they do. And I think Hindus are more polytheists? Buddhism, the Buddha, and Muhammad, just seems to copy Christianity, and try to claim it as something original, with Buddhism being more humanist, not even attributing creation to God. But as I said, I am not an expert at those relgions at all!

People have a right to believe what they like! This thread is about the Hebrew God in the Bible. The God of Adam and the patriarchs. The Father of Jesus.
    My church hosted a regular Sunday service where they brought a Hindu, Christian, Muslim and Buddist to talk about their faiths, to compare and contrast (like a panel). The place encourages open dialogue and questioning on these sorts of things. It was pretty interesting. I was surprised at the number of similarities between Muslim and Christian beliefs and many of the underlying principles across all of them were more similar than I thought they would be.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Buddhism, the Buddha, and Muhammad, just seems to copy Christianity, and try to claim it as something original, with Buddhism being more humanist, not even attributing creation to God. But as I said, I am not an expert at those relgions at all!
    Buddhism was established hundreds of years before Jesus was born.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Buddhism was established hundreds of years before Jesus was born.
    Okay, well, I said that wrong. Let's restate that as Buddhist concepts came way after the God of the patriarchs had revealed himself to Terah, the father of Abram, around 1800 bc. In my exploration of different religions, to find the truth, I have copied some stuff down in my spiritual journal about the Buddha. Here is what I copied down:

The 4 Noble Truths, the Noble Eightfold Path, and the definitions of Dependent origination, and Rejection of the infallibility of accepted scripture, and some other definitions. There is not much recorded that we can know for sure about Buddha. But surely he was enlightened.

I took from my brief study in Buddhism (from the above study and previous studies when I was an atheist) that it is rather vague, because the Noble Eightfold Path says you should have the "Right View, the Right Intention, the Right etc........" This is nice but not very much guidance that you can practically take, grab a hold of, and use. Also, I disagree with their views on suffering. Suffering comes from us, but suffering can also come from without us, from God, as punishment. I also disagree that 'nothing is satisfying.' Living for God can make one very joyful and satisfied, through communing with Him, and via other people, to glorify Him.

About the only thing I think is worth noting about the tenets of original Buddhism (and one must be careful that what they read isn't tainted by later followers) is that "teachings should not be accepted unless they are borne out by our experience and are praised by the wise." Nothing here about scientific method needing to be proved to believe something as Truth!

EDIT: Plus I see no obvious nor direct acknowledgment of God anywhere in their writings!!!!!
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

It is the nature of your flesh to be able to practice homosexuality, to desire it, whether it is for love or for mere sex. If animals practice homosexuality occasionally, then that is just more proof that it is of the flesh.

The whole point is that to do God's will, you must rise above what the flesh drives you to do, and the desires of your heart. Because He knows what is best for you. And He has said in Genesis 2, the very beginning of the story, that he made a woman out of man, and that a man should leave his family and cling to his wife.

If someone dies, then God has the ability to provide for them again. Some might have a succession of Divine partners. And some might have none, only God. God was able to provide Job with more than he had before after everything he had was annihilated by the devil. God CAN do anything.
    One could have a field day pointing out the logical inanities of your statements on this topic, and I happily would, if it were not entirely wasted on you.

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I was surprised at the number of similarities between Muslim and Christian beliefs and many of the underlying principles across all of them were more similar than I thought they would be.
    Do you still consider yourself a christian? If so, why?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    My church hosted a regular Sunday service where they brought a Hindu, Christian, Muslim and Buddist to talk about their faiths, to compare and contrast (like a panel). The place encourages open dialogue and questioning on these sorts of things. It was pretty interesting. I was surprised at the number of similarities between Muslim and Christian beliefs and many of the underlying principles across all of them were more similar than I thought they would be.
    Well, the Jews, the Christians, and the Muslims (the Abrahamic faiths) do all look at the Old Testament, even if they frame it differently, so there is some shared thought there.

What I find fascinating is how the Jews are far more flexible with their OT understanding than the modern conservative Christians, yet it was their book originally. Shouldn't they understand it the best?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Well, the Jews, the Christians, and the Muslims (the Abrahamic faiths) do all look at the Old Testament, even if they frame it differently, so there is some shared thought there.

What I find fascinating is how the Jews are far more flexible with their OT understanding than the modern conservative Christians, yet it was their book originally. Shouldn't they understand it the best?
    The Christians have rebellious child syndrome, where they can't ignore the Torah and their Jewish heritage, but need to differentiate themselves. The Muslims actually tried to integrate with the Jews, but got rejected... and the results reverberated through history. It's like a dysfunctional family.

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

^ which is funny. Because Christianity should, in theory, be the most liberal with it since Jesus came and said the old law was being done away with.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

Quote Originally Posted by five sounds View Post
    ^ which is funny. Because Christianity should, in theory, be the most liberal with it since Jesus came and said the old law was being done away with.
    I thought Jesus came to fulfill the Judaic Law.

After all, Jesus was a Judaic Messiah.

MBTI
    yupp

thought was fitting, giving the way this thread is going
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp