User Tag List

First 234561454 Last

Thread: The GOD Thread~

MBTI
    INFX
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Well, the Christians have it both ways. They are mono theists yet they have three Gods.

Christians worship the Trinity: three Gods in one.
    Yes, I never said they didn't.

Fyi not all Christians believe in a Trinity

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Well, the Christians have it both ways. They are mono theists yet they have three Gods.

Christians worship the Trinity: three Gods in one.
    You're still looking at the idea of God through the filter of dogmatic religious systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I have come to believe that there is only one divine entity, that encompasses male and female, and any other human distinction imaginable, and of course transcends all that is human as well. The world's religions are just so many ways to try to relate to that divinity, and our many Gods and Goddesses just so many names for him/her. It is not wrong to relate to God primarily through one of these ways, as long as we do not deny the validity of someone else relating in another way. How we relate will also change through our lives, as we grow and what we need evolves.
    THANK YOU. I want to get this printed on cards to hand out whenever this topic comes up. I believe exactly as you do, and yet participate in Catholic services, which many people find loony. It's simply the way I was raised to relate to God, and so it's where I feel the divine.

On a related topic, I hate when people hold religion against God. For example, "I don't believe in God because people do (insert offensive act) in his name." It's like saying "I don't believe in charity because the Salvation Army hates gays". Humans are imperfect, and that means that their endeavors will be imperfect, even those that are truly good. Everyone sins, and that fact is not an argument against God, or even against the concept of religion.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INFX
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    On a related topic, I hate when people hold religion against God. For example, "I don't believe in God because people do (insert offensive act) in his name." It's like saying "I don't believe in charity because the Salvation Army hates gays".
    Good analogy.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

THANK YOU. I want to get this printed on cards to hand out whenever this topic comes up. I believe exactly as you do, and yet participate in Catholic services, which many people find loony. It's simply the way I was raised to relate to God, and so it's where I feel the divine.
    I often give people - especially kids - a copy of "The Blind Men and the Elephant".

Interesting. Catholicism is the faith I gave up. I do feel the divine in much of the aesthetics of Catholicism - artwork, and the older traditional music and ritual. I also appreciate their charity, as exemplified encouragingly by the new pope. Many of the Catholics I know, however, are disappointingly narrowminded and dogmatic: believe theirs is the only correct religion, and won't so much as read anything written by a non-Catholic. (I've a mind to refer some of them to Andrew Greeley.)

On a related topic, I hate when people hold religion against God. For example, "I don't believe in God because people do (insert offensive act) in his name." It's like saying "I don't believe in charity because the Salvation Army hates gays". Humans are imperfect, and that means that their endeavors will be imperfect, even those that are truly good. Everyone sins, and that fact is not an argument against God, or even against the concept of religion.
    Exactly. I find myself saying similar things in discussions of Islam as of late.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INFX
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I often give people - especially kids - a copy of "The Blind Men and the Elephant".

That's what has changed my views a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Nights and Days View Post
    You're still looking at the idea of God through the filter of dogmatic religious systems.
    Religion is revealed to us by God. So we only know God by revelation. So religions have dogma by necessity.

If you don't accept revelation then you are thrown back onto direct mystical experience of God.

And when narsissists publishing selfies tell me they have direct mystical experience of God, I say, big claims require big evidence. But the evidence is never in evidence.

I don't believe in charity because the Salvation Army hates gays.
    Just yesterday we heard from the victims of the Salvation Army in our Royal Commission into Child Abuse.

And we heard how the Salvation Army sexually abused children in their care, and lent these same children out to pedophiles to abuse further.

Quote Originally Posted by inventor View Post
    Yes, I never said they didn't.

Fyi not all Christians believe in a Trinity
    The Trinity is an article of faith of Christianity. Those who don't subscribe to the Trinity are not Christians. They are Christadelphians, Christian Scientists, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Dawn Bible Students, Friends General Conference, Iglesia ni Cristo, Jehovah's Witnesses, Living Church of God, Oneness Pentecostals, Members Church of God International, Unitarian Universalist Christians, The Way International, The Church of God, International and the United Church of God.

WALMART

This album rocks.

Still awaiting,

I