User Tag List

First 2533343536374585 Last

Thread: The GOD Thread~

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    That is very strange. It works perfectly for me.

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/mag...le_gay/?page=1
    now it does, perhaps it had to do with i was on my phone the first time i clicked the link
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    As far as I can tell homosexuality and heterosexuality are just recently invented social constructs with little scientific basis. The only reason why people are even bothering to prove this stuff scientifically is because the LGBT movement currently finds such a divide in sexuality to be politically helpful towards their aims.
    Wait, wait... what?

What do you mean by recent?

In so far as they are constructed ideas, and regardless of where they stand now, can we agree that the emphasis on them was first created by heterosexuals discriminating against homosexuals?

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    Yes, but I am purporting that in the case of victims, God allows more grace through Jesus, for forgiving those sins. Especially in the case of children who might not know better or be able to prevent it.

But yeah, it does mean that forgiveness needs to happen. But how is that any different than all of us being imperfect and needing forgiveness for merely existing?
    I gave you augustine. He discusses it in the City of God. I pretty much think he settles it, but it was only a tangential issue as the main problem was that pagan Romans were killing themselves over the dishonor of rape and he was trying to stop it. I'm not aware of any serious argument against Augustine's view since then.

I have no idea where you're views come from.

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and presume you're somehow stuck on the idea that causing sin somehow makes the sin of rape worse. But, you're really not thinking this through.

If it is sin on the victim's part then that comes with certain obligations like confession and seeking forgiveness from the ones you sin against.

This means that if it is sin then the victim has to seek forgiveness from the attacker.

That's just a deplorably heinous outcome.
    As an atheist, I'd like to know which of the two of you I should be listening to.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    yupp

@highlander I really enjoyed that article, and see it's from 2005, so I'm gonna see how much further they've come research wise. But it was a cool article, I didn't find myself bored once. Though that's something that does interest me.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Wait, wait... what?

What do you mean by recent?
    150 years ago. As a conservative I probably measure time in a substantially different way than you do.

In so far as they are constructed ideas, and regardless of where they stand now, can we agree that the emphasis on them was first created by heterosexuals discriminating against homosexuals?
    Sure.

As an atheist, I'd like to know which of the two of you I should be listening to.
    I don't care.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

If your standard for exegesis and means of understanding the Bible is just by determining what seems silly to you and what doesn't then I'm not there's much point in arguing with you, but I'll give it a try.

Are you part of the nation of Israel???

If not then those laws don't apply to you. It's as simple as that.
    They apply to you if you are a Jewish-Christian, but not if you are a Pagan-Christian. You are either one or the other. God the Father came before Christ. Unless you ignore the OT and the history of the faith of Christianity.
    So it strikes me then that this could be a matter of interpretation - similar to the Catholic Church's position on birth control. A lot of people just ignore Leviticus altogether because they don't think it's particularly relevant. A lot of modern Christians tend to ignore most of what's in the Old Testament actually. I'm not saying that is right but it is factual. Personally, I'm a huge fan of the Old Testament. There are however things that I take with a grain of salt.

With respect to the New Testament, there are a few references to homosexuality:

1. Romans 1:26-27, "For this reason [idolatry] God gave them up to passions of dishonor; for even their females exchanged the natural use for that which is contrary to nature, and likewise also the males, having left the natural use of the female, were inflamed by their lust for one another, males with males, committing what is shameful, and receiving in themselves the recompense which was fitting for their error."

This text from Paul's Letter to the Romans is the most direct reference in the Bible to homosexuality. The long and short of it is that Paul is attempting to convince the Jews in Rome to convert to Christianity. Paul was a Jew who was steeped in the Jewish law and he was attempting to persuade. He refers to several sections in the Old Testament because that is what his audience understands and believes in. It is what they lived by. Are all of Paul's words the words of God? Someone decided that. That was a decision made by a person or at least a group of people.

There are a few other verses in the New Testament. Each of these is the King James translation.

Corinthians 6:9-10 "Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind"

Timothy 1:9-10 "Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine"

Jude 1:7 "Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire."

It is clearly understandable how many Christians believe that homosexuality is wrong. After all, "it's in the Bible." It seems to me however that all the references tie back to the Old Testament. That's the part of the Bible where they stone people, God tells Abraham to offer his son Isaac as a sacrifice and the world was created in 7 days.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Default Critical Thinking

Perhaps the greates contribution Western Civilization has made is critical thinking.

And we see the evidence, on this thread, in the critical thinking about Christianity.

And we should remember we stand in a tradition of critical thinking, 2,500 years old, going back to Socrates, the classical Greek philosopher.

And we stand in a tradition of critical thinking about Christianity going back about 200 years.

But what we find absent is critical thinking about Islam.

We refrain from critical thinking about Islam to be politically correct.

And we avoid critical thinking about Islam to avoid threats of violence and actual acts of violence.

However individual muslims are rational human beings and so can be engaged on the level of critical thinking.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

No. It doesn't matter whether you're jew or gentile. The temple was destroyed in the first century and so was the nation of Israel and all the laws that went with it.
    God's Word and everlasting covenants live on whether a temple was destroyed or not. They live on in the Bible, and should be living on in Christianity.

I think it's so sad that most Christians are ignorant and apathetic when it comes to our Judean roots.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

If we only spent as much time focused on LOVE this world would be such a better place.
    Yes. For that reason, I worry less about whom people choose to love, and hope instead that they do indeed love.

They apply to you if you are a Jewish-Christian, but not if you are a Pagan-Christian. You are either one or the other. God the Father came before Christ. Unless you ignore the OT and the history of the faith of Christianity.
    So as someone who is not a Christian at all, they don't apply to me. I suppose that's fair enough. Part of choosing to be a Christian, then, is choosing to abide by these rules. At least it is voluntary now.

It was before. Male (and female) prostitutes existed in the Gentile culture long before Jesus. They were especially active at the 'high places' where rituals were performed to Baal and Asherah.
    Characterizing the highlighted groups as "prostitutes" is at best oversimplification, and at worst defamation.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Stacey Dooley did a show on gay conversion therapy, and in it she interviewed a psychiatrist/psychologist who had this theory. It resonated with what I know to be true as well.
    It's not true though. Conversion therapy does not work, and has been discredited. It's regarded to be harmful.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    It's not true though. Conversion therapy does not work, and has been discredited. It's regarded to be harmful.
    You should know that her actual and only reason for believing this bullshit is this: "It resonated with what I know to be true as well."

She is utterly unfazed by evidence other than her own random interpretations, at least some of which clearly point to willful ignorance.