User Tag List

First 2028293031324080 Last

Results 291 to 300 of 873

Thread: The GOD Thread~

  1. #291
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Posts
    2,319

    Default

    Yes I agree with your previous argument being moot.

  2. #292
    I could do things Hard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe
    Posts
    7,990

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Azure Flame View Post
    Yeah this article says "there may be a gene that determines sexual orientation."

    That does not mean they have found the gene(s) responsible for sexual orientation. I call bs on this article.



    The end.

    I wouldn't go insofar as to call it BS. I have been rather annoyed with the media with saying "there's a link found! there is a gay gene!". The former appears to be true; yes, the did find a genetic common ground that appears to be unique for gay men. Does it mean it is a gay gene? Hardly. It's a lead though, and it requires more scientific inquiry. It could be a dead end, it could lead to something else. We'll know more when more research is done.

    Still though, it is intriuging, and suggests there might be a genetic portion to sexulity.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari


  3. #293
    LL P. Stewie Beorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,813

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    You'll only drive yourself crazy trying to make rational sense of this position. This is the same person that spent an entire thread accusing the Freemasons of orchestrating mass child abuse and then asserted that the lack of evidence or chatter about it was even more damning than if there were evidence because it showed the capability of the Freemasons to cover it up.

    fair enough. I'll stop.

  4. #294
    failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni
    Posts
    5,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    I wouldn't go insofar as to call it BS. I have been rather annoyed with the media with saying "there's a link found! there is a gay gene!". The former appears to be true; yes, the did find a genetic common ground that appears to be unique for gay men. Does it mean it is a gay gene? Hardly. It's a lead though, and it requires more scientific inquiry. It could be a dead end, it could lead to something else. We'll know more when more research is done.

    Still though, it is intriuging, and suggests there might be a genetic portion to sexulity.
    It might just mean that there is an area in the brain of those people that needs a strong attachment to a person of the same gender. i.e. those people are affected MORE not having that nurturing same-sex parent relationship than others. And so if that attachment does not come from the father or consistent male role model, then those people are going to be more likely to feel driven to get that need met in a sexual loving way. Whereas another male (or female) who didn't bond, and who doesn't have that area activated in the brain, is able to go on without intensely desiring a relationship with a person of the same gender.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

    The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

    Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

    songofmary.wordpress.com


  5. #295
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Posts
    2,319

    Default

    Unfortunately I don't have time to go back to the beginning of the thread, but it sounds like AphroditeGoneAwry is using the bible as the basis of her argument, and in that she will only continue to make a fool of herself against people outside the loop of recursive logic.

    I have debated luciferians and satanists. While the concept of being a satanist is quite hilarious in itself, its a devils advocate position against the bible and a worthy position to take if you want to disprove its logic. In the end, you can't. Both lucifer and jesus are referred to as the "morning star" (the highest ranking individual in heaven) and both sides are equally valid in their own right.

    From an atheist point of view, you cannot disprove the existence of god. You cannot prove it either. In the end, you are only left with choice, and following the message of love that Jesus wanted to spread.

    The self is an illusion. We must come to terms with the evil in ourselves, something that the bible, and carl jung, both talk about. "Jesus loves you even though you are a sinner!"

    Assuming all religions are correct, it could still be inferred that reincarnation does in fact exist and is a real issue. So many religions believe in it. So many civilizations speak about a great flood. So many religions talk about how to ESCAPE the cycle of rebirth... even enneagram.

    So when you have all of these religions talking about the same thing, there could be several options left on the table. Man creates these in our head, or they existed and man discovered them. With that being said, one has to ask, "why should I choose christianity over other religions?"

    Because christianity is a one way ticket out of the cycle of rebirth. It does not talk about rebirth, nor does it matter, nor should we care. Follow what jesus taught us, and you will find salvation. Hell is ill defined in the bible, often spoken of as a "gnashing of teeth" or a "lake of fire." Personally, I experience feelings of sadistic gnashing of teeth any time I start getting insanely angry. But that's just me. When my Enneagram 6 friend's car broke down, I empathized with him and saw life through his eyes, a great dread that no one cared about him or would come to help him in his time of crisis, and in my mind the trees were glowing orange from the light of fire I could not see. I saw what I saw but it was all in my imagination, I knew it wasn't my own vision, but his.

    I don't claim to understand the whole situation, just that I know what sin is and is not. Sin as far as I can tell is an act based on impulsive desires of the flesh that deteriorates our spirit, or our psychological health. Avoiding it is something you should WANT to do. You should stop spending money at strip clubs and hookers. That's a quick fix to loneliness. People should stop abusing drugs. That's a quick fix to your own control over your life and your own boredom, and it destroys your body and mind. We should want to experience the world, not cheat and take shortcuts to find happiness.

    My personal view on homosexuality is that, like all other forms of sin, homosexuals choose to not hold faith in god's love, and thus seek it in ways that they can artificually create. When man seeks to empower himself without god, he turns to sin. When man seeks to empower himself through a force more powerful than himself, he turns away from sin and seeks the holy spirit. Only with love can a man bring another man out of his own self made hell.

    "Desire leads to suffering. Eliminate desire. Follow the eight-fold path." ~ Buddhism, speaking about its own analogous definition of sin, albeit without calling upon the holy spirit. I know a buddhist and I would not say he is a happy person, but then again he isn't the strongest buddhist either, so its hard to say if buddhism really has any more or less benefit than christianity with regard to elimination of suffering in our lives.

  6. #296
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,628

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Azure Flame View Post
    "I CAN'T BE GAY BECAUSE I CHOSE TO, I JUST CAN'T! THERE IS SOMETHING IN MY GENES THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ME BEING ABUSED AS A CHILD OR GETTING DUMPED IN 7TH GRADE!"
    Whoa, that escalated quickly. Apparently getting dumped by a 7th-grade placebo mate is just as bad as being sexually violated, very painfully, probably when you were barely young enough to remember.

  7. #297
    failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni
    Posts
    5,651

    Default

    @azure So you believe in Jesus, but not the Father?
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

    The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

    Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

    songofmary.wordpress.com


  8. #298
    I could do things Hard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe
    Posts
    7,990

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    It might just mean that there is an area in the brain of those people that needs a strong attachment to a person of the same gender. i.e. those people are affected MORE not having that nurturing same-sex parent relationship than others. And so if that attachment does not come from the father or consistent male role model, then those people are going to be more likely to feel driven to get that need met in a sexual loving way. Whereas another male (or female) who didn't bond, and who doesn't have that area activated in the brain, is able to go on without intensely desiring a relationship with a person of the same gender.
    How does this study suggest there is an area of the brain regarding? Even if there is, that's a non-sequitur and a big one at that.

    What you are suggesting is nothing more than speculation with little ground to support it.

    My degree is not in psychology so I would be poor at picking this apart. Though I do know several hear have their degree in it, and thus if you are out there correct me if I am wrong. What you seem to say though seems like old-school psych doctrine that has been discredited base off more modern research.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari


  9. #299
    Analytical Dreamer Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    17,597

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    Also, look at how many people are disagreeing with you. That should say something, eh?
    Truth by majority rule? I agree with you on this thread, but not with this statement. Quite often it is the minority, even a small minority, that is right.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    Science IS working on proving it. In fact, they just recently published a study showing a genetic commonality between gay men. Evidence! It works! So, yet again, you're wrong. And again, DOES IT MATTER? Does it matter what causes it? It doesn't change a goddam thing. Sexuality is really really really complex. How it manifests, is meaningless.
    I have read studies on brain physiology, specifically looking at the parts of the brain involved in sexual attraction. In gay men, these areas look more like women's brains than straight mens'. Similarly, in lesbians they look more like men's brains than straight womens'. So the difference is definitely physiological.

    Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    I hope everyone is having a holy Sabbath and is honoring God today.

    Shalom!
    I did. I visited a local Hindu temple. It was very different, beautiful, and meaningful.

    Om shanti shanti shanti!
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

  10. #300
    failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni
    Posts
    5,651

    Default

    My point is that having a link between gay men (or women) does not likely mean they were born being gay. Though it does mean that switch is probably more likely to be flipped with the 'right' or wrong, environment.

    Meaning, some men need to bond more than others with their male counterparts. If those guys don't have a male role model or loving figure, it makes sense that they will be more likely to need to seek it out.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

    The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

    Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

    songofmary.wordpress.com


Similar Threads

  1. [MBTItm] The haiku thread...
    By anii in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 01-22-2017, 11:03 PM
  2. The Beer Thread
    By Noel in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 309
    Last Post: 02-03-2010, 12:07 PM
  3. The God in Every Man/Woman
    By mippus in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-04-2008, 03:10 AM
  4. Pot Pies: Food of the Gods?
    By Ivy in forum Home, Garden and Nature
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 08-13-2007, 12:11 PM
  5. The Hundredth Thread
    By Rajah in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-24-2007, 12:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO