User Tag List

First 1119202122233171 Last

Results 201 to 210 of 873

Thread: The GOD Thread~

  1. #201
    failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni
    Posts
    5,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    What do you guys think of this quote?
    Does that quote mean something to you?
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

    The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

    Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

    songofmary.wordpress.com


  2. #202
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,529

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    When it comes to calling I prefer Augustine.

    "Love God and do what you want."
    Saint Augustine taught that heretics should be tortured, and they were.

    But why should we be surprised when Saint Augustine worshiped a God who ordered Abraham to tie up his son, Isaac, and stand over him with a butcher's knife, ready to cut his son up alive. This is child abuse.

    And why should we be surprised when Saint Augustine revered Mary who gave birth to Jesus when she was 12 years old. And this is child abuse incurring a 25 year prison sentence in Oz.

    And why should we be surprised when Augustine worshiped the Trinity where the Father tied his Son to the Cross and tortured him to death. And this is also child abuse.

    And why should we be surprised when the Australian Royal Commission into Child Abuse is finding that the Church took part in organised child abuse and covered it up.

    And why should we be surprised when the United Nations said the other day that one Church alone has abused tens of thousands of children in recent times and covered it up.

    Gosh, Love God and do what you want, sums it all up, doesn't it?

  3. #203
    failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni
    Posts
    5,651

    Default

    Jesus is very against child abuse. God is as well, despite the misinterpretation in the story of Abraham and Isaac.

    It's men and women who perpetuate child abuse. Blame not God.

    Children are so pure in His eyes, we must be like children to enter the kingdom of heaven.

    Many have issues with God 'allowing' child abuse to happen. And that is a hard thing for us to understand. But even in the face of not understanding God's ways, we must have faith in His ultimate plan for good for us and our lives.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

    The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

    Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

    songofmary.wordpress.com


  4. #204
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,529

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    Jesus is very against child abuse. God is as well, despite the misinterpretation in the story of Abraham and Isaac.

    It's men and women who perpetuate child abuse. Blame not God.

    Children are so pure in His eyes, we must be like children to enter the kingdom of heaven.

    Many have issues with God 'allowing' child abuse to happen. And that is a hard thing for us to understand. But even in the face of not understanding God's ways, we must have faith in His ultimate plan for good for us and our lives.
    Please! The worst child abuse was carried out against slave children.

    Jesus was surrounded by institutional slavery and said not a word against it.

    Jesus was surrounded by the abuse of slave children, yet he remained silent.

    And silence is complicity.

  5. #205
    likes this gromit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    6,652

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    Sort of idealistic and limiting at the same time. Note that the people who come up with these types of quotes are preachers or theologians not plumbers or janitors.

    When it comes to calling I prefer Augustine.

    "Love God and do what you want."

    Part of the good news is not that there is a calling somewhere out there in which you can find joy, but that you can find joy in any worthy calling.
    Do you view calling synonymous with profession?
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

  6. #206
    LL P. Stewie Beorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,805

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Saint Augustine taught that heretics should be tortured, and they were.

    But why should we be surprised when Saint Augustine worshiped a God who ordered Abraham to tie up his son, Isaac, and stand over him with a butcher's knife, ready to cut his son up alive. This is child abuse.

    And why should we be surprised when Saint Augustine revered Mary who gave birth to Jesus when she was 12 years old. And this is child abuse incurring a 25 year prison sentence in Oz.

    And why should we be surprised when Augustine worshiped the Trinity where the Father tied his Son to the Cross and tortured him to death. And this is also child abuse.

    And why should we be surprised when the Australian Royal Commission into Child Abuse is finding that the Church took part in organised child abuse and covered it up.

    And why should we be surprised when the United Nations said the other day that one Church alone has abused tens of thousands of children in recent times and covered it up.

    Gosh, Love God and do what you want, sums it all up, doesn't it?
    Consistently making off-topic posts is against the rules and could lead to banning.

  7. #207
    LL P. Stewie Beorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,805

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    Do you view calling synonymous with profession?

    I think it's inclusive of profession, but not limited to that. As a profession takes up most of a person's time that's what they're typically concerned about when it comes to calling.

  8. #208
    failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni
    Posts
    5,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Please! The worst child abuse was carried out against slave children.

    Jesus was surrounded by institutional slavery and said not a word against it.

    Jesus was surrounded by the abuse of slave children, yet he remained silent.

    And silence is complicity.

    Slavery was just another way the people were breaking the Law of God. It was not Jesus' mission to point out every way the people were breaking God's Law. That would have consumed Him night and day and was not the point. It was His mission to reach out to the lost sheep of Israel, those that were oppressed and enslaved.

    He was clear about not causing children to sin; He said it would have been better for them to be cast into the sea with a millstone around their neck, than to cause a child to sin. How is that silent?
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

    The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

    Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

    songofmary.wordpress.com


  9. #209
    climb on Showbread's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sp
    Posts
    2,332

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    What do you guys think of this quote?
    I like it... To an extent. I definitely agree that our purpose in life is to serve in some way. However, I disagree with the idea that we will always be glad to do it. I know people who have been called to things for a season that they have not enjoyed. I think the idea that God wants us to be happy always is a dangerous one that has lead some people to make poor choices.
    Friends, waffles, work

    "The problem is, when you depend on a substitute for love, you can never get enough" - Louis Cozolino

    3w2 6w7 1w2
    *Gryffindor*


  10. #210
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,529

    Default Blame the Victim

    Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    He was clear about not causing children to sin; He said it would have been better for them to be cast into the sea with a millstone around their neck, than to cause a child to sin. How is that silent?
    How grotesque!

    Child abuse does not cause a child to sin, it is the child who has been violated.

    So when defending the indefensible of child abuse, you are reduced to blaming the victim, even though the victim is an innocent child.

    The child abusing Church blamed children to child abuse for centuries.

    Blame the victim.

Similar Threads

  1. [MBTItm] The haiku thread...
    By anii in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 01-22-2017, 11:03 PM
  2. The Beer Thread
    By Noel in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 309
    Last Post: 02-03-2010, 12:07 PM
  3. The God in Every Man/Woman
    By mippus in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-04-2008, 03:10 AM
  4. Pot Pies: Food of the Gods?
    By Ivy in forum Home, Garden and Nature
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 08-13-2007, 12:11 PM
  5. The Hundredth Thread
    By Rajah in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-24-2007, 12:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO