User Tag List

First 614151617182666 Last

Results 151 to 160 of 873

Thread: The GOD Thread~

  1. #151
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is a story about a prophet who God had killed by lions for failing to obey a simple command that he should not eat or drink in a certain land, and turning or allowing a woman to be turned into a pillar of salt. Does God truly love his creations or, we are just guinea pigs to him.....
    Here is the counter-argument: God moves in mysterious ways.

  2. #152
    failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni
    Posts
    5,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Why were you an atheist?
    Because I was just so far removed from God, I couldn't see that He could be real. I grew up going to church, I was an acolyte, I knew the 10 Commandments, my mom taught Sunday school, but when the world confronted me on the question of God (I think it was probably in Phil 101 as I said), I had to acquiesce that since there was no proof, and because I didn't have a personal relationship with God or Jesus, God just wasn't true.

    One truly does need to be born again to obtain the kingdom of heaven, as Jesus says to Nicodemus. When I became born again, I now had an intimate relationship with God, and there is no way I would believe He isn't true.

    Quote Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is a story about a prophet who God had killed by lions for failing to obey a simple command that he should not eat or drink in a certain land, and turning or allowing a woman to be turned into a pillar of salt. Does God truly love his creations or, we are just guinea pigs to him.....
    The Prophet had ignored God's stern warning and listened to another Prophet instead. The point being, you must listen to God over everyone else. If you don't, something bad could happen.

    Same idea with the woman. She was being disobedient to God's angels, which is a sin. Jewish commentary says a few different things about this, but the point is, you don't question God's authority or command.

    I don't happen to believe that all the Bible stories are literal. I'm not a literalist. In fact, if you interpret the Bible literally, you are going to miss so much symbolism and metaphor, which are more meaningful that the literal story in many, if not most, cases. I believe there are pillars of salt in the desert which resemble human female form, and that it was a good way to express the foolishness of disobeying God, even for something seemingly innocuous like 'looking back' toward sin. Which I think is the main point: When God saves your life, and leads you out of sin, don't look back longingly at it!

    Interesting to note too, that Lot went on right afterwards to father a new tribe of people when his daughters got him drunk and became incestuous with him in a cave. So, this makes Lot's wife's disobedience even more far-reaching, as it affected that whole clan and tribe, which fathered some of the enemies of the Israelites, the Moabites and Ammonites. These same tribes also eventually became followers of Islam.

    Very nice avvy, btw.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

    The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

    Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

    songofmary.wordpress.com


  3. #153
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    Because I was just so far removed from God, I couldn't see that He could be real. I grew up going to church, I was an acolyte, I knew the 10 Commandments, my mom taught Sunday school, but when the world confronted me on the question of God (I think it was probably in Phil 101 as I said), I had to acquiesce that since there was no proof, and because I didn't have a personal relationship with God or Jesus, God just wasn't true.
    Then you have never been an atheist for any good reason. Consequently, your conversion means nothing.

  4. #154
    failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni
    Posts
    5,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Then you have never been an atheist for any good reason. Consequently, your conversion means nothing.
    No one can prove God does not exist, so what would be a good reason to be an atheist? In light of no proof, all reasons are equal.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

    The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

    Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

    songofmary.wordpress.com


  5. #155
    Analytical Dreamer Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    17,556

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    Your place is to serve God and to please Him. He made you for a purpose. How can you know that purpose if you are cut off from Him? God's Law is not the laws of the universe. Those are the natural laws that the world must obey. We, as God's children, must obey His special Law for us. Otherwise, we are no better, no more special than animals--we are not the higher beings He created us to be--because we are functioning as any other creature would function, in obeisance to natural laws. It's 'natural law' to want to procreate with many sexual partners, but it's not God's Law.
    See, this is where we simply believe different things. First, you are wrong to assume I am cut off from God just because I do not see him the same way you do. I would moreover maintain that I can make a better case for the laws of the universe coming from God than you can about what you call this "special law". It doesn't matter, though, because neither can be proven. That is why this is faith and not science.

    Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    He spoke to Moses about it. And it became the first and second commandments . . .
    And the hare raced the tortoise, and in his complacency managed to lose to the slower animal, illustrating the importance of steadiness and persistence.

    Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    But I've read carefully, and the God in the Bible speaks often to the fact that people worship other gods, and that no other gods should come before Him. This doesn't necessarily mean there are other gods, so much as that people believe there are other gods, and they worship them, and they shouldn't.
    Or, it means that the people criticising the other form of worship want to paint its followers as "them" by denying the fact that they are just worshipping the same god in a different way.

    Quote Originally Posted by Octavarium View Post
    Why do you think that, if it can stand the test of time, that makes it right? Just to be absolutely clear, are you saying that, if it didn't come from God, it wouldn't have stood the test of time? And what criteria are you using to judge whether the laws "serve man"?
    Gravity came from god and has stood the test of time, and does not exist for the purpose of serving man.

    Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    I know what you mean. But I became an atheist at 19, after I was in college, probably sometimes during Philosophy 101. I think that is pretty typical of youth-to be an atheist, especially science-minded types, as I was.
    Interesting. My scientific background is what caused me to hold onto my underlying belief in god, when I had pretty much discarded everything about my childhood religion. It was the only thing that kept me from losing faith entirely.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

  6. #156
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,778

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post



    Interesting. My scientific background is what caused me to hold onto my underlying belief in god, when I had pretty much discarded everything about my childhood religion. It was the only thing that kept me from losing faith entirely.
    science is the reason I believe in something greater than myself. Because with so many rules and things that make life and the universe work all the laws ect. It personally doesn't make sense to me that it was a random thing that just happened. it's too intricate for their not to be. I do believe in evolution and all that fun stuff. I also believe in aliens, so maybe I am crazy. but you know what I'm not harming anyone.
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so

  7. #157
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    No one can prove God does not exist, so what would be a good reason to be an atheist? In light of no proof, all reasons are equal.
    No one can prove Other Gods do not exist, so what would be a good reason to be a monotheist?

  8. #158
    failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni
    Posts
    5,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    No one can prove Other Gods do not exist, so what would be a good reason to be a monotheist?
    Answer my question first, then maybe I'll answer yours.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

    The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

    Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

    songofmary.wordpress.com


  9. #159
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    Answer my question first, then maybe I'll answer yours.
    It is so sad when people cannot even see their own arguments crumble.

  10. #160
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,529

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sorenx7 View Post
    The word "lord" isn't just a medieval term. "Lord" can be traced back to the Anglo-Saxon word hlaford, which referred to the chieftain of a tribe. Through the years, the word has gained multiple meanings, including being used to refer to members of the peerage in the UK. It can also be used to refer to a feudal ruler, a god, etc.
    This is interesting but what I suspect is that Christianity started using Lord in the medieval period when the medieval Lord had the highest status, and so the Christians wanted to give their God the highest status, never mind that their God was landless and part of the Roman Empire and so was a non-person.

    Who wants to worship a non-person? Far better to worship a Lord.

Similar Threads

  1. [MBTItm] The haiku thread...
    By anii in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 01-22-2017, 11:03 PM
  2. The Beer Thread
    By Noel in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 309
    Last Post: 02-03-2010, 12:07 PM
  3. The God in Every Man/Woman
    By mippus in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-04-2008, 03:10 AM
  4. Pot Pies: Food of the Gods?
    By Ivy in forum Home, Garden and Nature
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 08-13-2007, 12:11 PM
  5. The Hundredth Thread
    By Rajah in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-24-2007, 12:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO