User Tag List

First 210111213142262 Last

Results 111 to 120 of 873

Thread: The GOD Thread~

  1. #111
    Senior Member Zangetshumody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    ILI
    Posts
    472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Google is your friend:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman

    Basically, he's just keying in that in a discussion about what Christians do, you seemed to resort to a, "well, a REAL Christian does <this>" as a way of dodging potential criticisms of Christians and/or basically saying a "real christian" is how YOU have defined it versus someone else's potential definition, despite the fact that lots of self-professed Christians disagree on some doctrinal issues and perspectives.
    Did I not provide a description that can be understood? I feel I don't need to make answers for any potential disagreements ma'am.
    Last edited by Zangetshumody; 02-11-2014 at 04:40 PM. Reason: changed a into I***
    Escape powerful genjitsu by averting your gaze from the eyes.

  2. #112
    Senior Member Zangetshumody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    ILI
    Posts
    472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    From Solomon, the wisest man that ever lived:

    To know wisdom and instruction,
    To perceive the words of understanding,
    To receive the instruction of wisdom,
    Justice, judgment, and equity;

    To give prudence to the simple,
    To the young man knowledge and discretion-
    A wise man will hear and increase in learning,
    And a man of understanding will attain wise counsel,
    To understand a proverb and an enigma,
    The words of the wise and their riddles,

    The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge,
    But fools despise wisdom and instruction. ~Proverbs 1:2-7



    Interesting how the beginning of knowledge is the fear of the LORD (which is also how 'wisdom' can be defined). Today we would say the beginning of knowledge is understanding science.
    Supporting scriptures:

    1Co_1:19 For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.
    1Co_1:20 Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?
    1Co_3:19 For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, He taketh the wise in their own craftiness.

    The Question is, who can actually explain science? because without an understandable explanation, you don't actually understand it (you just think you understand because you believe your understanding is the same as someone else that you believe in (but because the trust is unproven through a real reliance on your own heart of understanding, your being vain! [because you've been misled])).

    bottom line, a theory that doesn't have practical application isn't faith, its theory, which is the prudence of the world that my scriptures refer to (and they will get you "taken" like with the Challenger tragedy of 1986)
    i.e. Science is not understanding, because it's its premised on finding solution to a problem, and not improvement of a situation. Which is a different process entirely. If you try to solve the problem, you will just carry it with you into the future, the only cure is real understanding.
    Last edited by Zangetshumody; 02-11-2014 at 04:55 PM. Reason: added title "Supporting scriptures"... and "added the question is"... and edited last sentence
    Escape powerful genjitsu by averting your gaze from the eyes.

  3. #113
    failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni
    Posts
    5,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zangetshumody View Post
    1Co_1:19 For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.
    1Co_1:20 Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?
    1Co_3:19 For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, He taketh the wise in their own craftiness.

    Yes, that is the 'wise' according to worldly definitions.

    It is man that thinks seeking knowledge is the holiest of endeavors. God tells us that the only knowledge we need is knowledge of Him.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

    The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

    Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

    songofmary.wordpress.com


  4. #114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    Our Creator commands that we love Him, and that we love each other. He does not make us. He wants us to give our love freely to Him, and to each other.
    But is it really possible to love someone just because they have commanded you to do so? Do you think we can make ourselves feel love where there once was no feeling of love? Or is your idea of love more about doing than feeling? If so, would you say that if someone is doing things for someone else purely out of a sense of duty, but without feeling any affection for them, that can be called love? In other words, Do you think God commands us to have feelings of warmth/affection for him, or just to do things for him/in his name regardless of how we feel about him?

    He does not need anything from us. But He wants our love, and our loyalty, and our devotion.
    If it's something that God wants but doesn't need, that suggests that it is something God can do without. Even so, it suggests that God has desires that can only be satisfied by humans. So God cannot satisfy all of his desires independently; he depends on humans for that. Which leads on to the question, what does God gain from having us love him? Happiness? Does that mean it is within the power of humanity to make God happy or not happy?

  5. #115
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zangetshumody View Post
    Did I not provide a description that can be understood? I feel I don't need to make answers for any potential disagreements ma'am.
    Enjoy your "discussion."
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  6. #116
    failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni
    Posts
    5,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Octavarium View Post
    But is it really possible to love someone just because they have commanded you to do so? Do you think we can make ourselves feel love where there once was no feeling of love? Or is your idea of love more about doing than feeling? If so, would you say that if someone is doing things for someone else purely out of a sense of duty, but without feeling any affection for them, that can be called love? In other words, Do you think God commands us to have feelings of warmth/affection for him, or just to do things for him/in his name regardless of how we feel about him?
    It is impossible to not feel love for God. He is in us, He made us, and He made us for His pleasure, and to love Him. If you don't feel love for God, it's because you aren't trying to know Him. It is impossible to know Him and not love Him.

    When he commands us to love Him as the greatest commandment, it is for our own well-being, see. He can do without our love, but He doesn't want to.

    In philosophy, it's taught that asking the right questions is what makes you wise. With God, loving Him is what makes you wise. It's not about the questions you ask, it's about seeking to know Him. And once you get to know Him, you cannot help but to love Him. I'd suggest reading some of the Bible. That is how people usually begin to fall in love with God, if you aren't already...


    If it's something that God wants but doesn't need, that suggests that it is something God can do without. Even so, it suggests that God has desires that can only be satisfied by humans. So God cannot satisfy all of his desires independently; he depends on humans for that. Which leads on to the question, what does God gain from having us love him? Happiness? Does that mean it is within the power of humanity to make God happy or not happy?
    He made us for His pleasure. I also believe He made us because He was somewhat lonely. We are the only one of His creation that is higher-minded enough to contemplate Him and know Him. What a great gift! He has everything He needs, but yes, there are some emotions that seem best fulfilled by the love that is created when two or more are joined together in God. And that must make God feel good too. If God is in all of us, then when we consciously allow Him to manifest, especially during worshiping Him, it creates a positive energy unlike anything else in the world or beyond. Like what we would call an exponential 'win'.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

    The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

    Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

    songofmary.wordpress.com


  7. #117
    Senior Member Zangetshumody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    ILI
    Posts
    472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    Yes, that is the 'wise' according to worldly definitions.

    It is man that thinks seeking knowledge is the holiest of endeavors. God tells us that the only knowledge we need is knowledge of Him.
    Him being the son of God? or him being the Church Priest in your Church community (who is supposed to be the teacher)?

    In John it says:

    1Jn 4:9 In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him.

    and as I explained before, the only thing that you can live through (is not believing IN other people), but reliance on a fully realized heart of understanding: and so, one must find the true Gospel, and which church actually has it. Its the gift of the brother and sister in the church that will heal.

    Mat_6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
    You can start to understand the way of righteousness like this: (as my priest said)

    There can be no peace without joy and no joy without righteousness.

    scripture: Rom_14:17 For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.

    So one can see clearly that he understands how to convey truth.
    Last edited by Zangetshumody; 02-13-2014 at 08:31 AM. Reason: "IN" CHANGED FROM "ON"---- THATS WEIRD, i was sure it I didnt write ON!!!
    Escape powerful genjitsu by averting your gaze from the eyes.

  8. #118
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by inventor View Post
    If the Nicene Creed was so important it would of been in the bible.
    So, in one sentence you wipe out 2,000 years of Christianity.

    Who do you think put the Bible together from a multitude of texts?

    Western civilization is base on Ancient Greek philosophy, Judaism, Christianity and the Enlightenment.

    The Bible forms only part of our civilization.

  9. #119
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nights and Days View Post
    I fear this is where our dialogue must come to it's end, Mole, because I cannot possibly describe to you the colors and textures of the skies, and the seas I see in my dreams. This crushes me.
    Don't be silly. Our poets, artists, musicians, choreographers, describe the colours and textures of the skies and the seas you see in your dreams. In fact it is likely you see the colours and textures of he skies and seas already depicted by our poets, artists, musicians, choreographers.

    Perhaps you should think about paying them royalties.

  10. #120
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zangetshumody View Post
    Would you not like to furnish me an explanation to go along with that retort? Please, like I'm a 5 year old. Because what you said makes me feel like I'm supposed to understand the logically impossible.
    For No true Scotsman click on http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/No_True_Scotsman

Similar Threads

  1. [MBTItm] The haiku thread...
    By anii in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 01-22-2017, 11:03 PM
  2. The Beer Thread
    By Noel in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 309
    Last Post: 02-03-2010, 12:07 PM
  3. The God in Every Man/Woman
    By mippus in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-04-2008, 03:10 AM
  4. Pot Pies: Food of the Gods?
    By Ivy in forum Home, Garden and Nature
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 08-13-2007, 12:11 PM
  5. The Hundredth Thread
    By Rajah in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-24-2007, 12:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO