User Tag List

First 9101112132161 Last

Results 101 to 110 of 873

Thread: The GOD Thread~

  1. #101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    Yes. Pretty much. I think the Law proves itself over time. God is with those who love and worship Him, and He is against those who don't.
    Assuming you are right, if someone doesn't love and worship God because they don't believe God exists, and they don't believe God exists because of an honest error in reasoning, would you still say God would be against them, assuming they were sincerely trying to be a good person?

  2. #102
    failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni
    Posts
    5,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Octavarium View Post
    Assuming you are right, if someone doesn't love and worship God because they don't believe God exists, and they don't believe God exists because of an honest error in reasoning, would you still say God would be against them, assuming they were sincerely trying to be a good person?
    If they were truly ignorant of God, then God would see what is in their heart and judge them accordingly. Rarely does it work like that. Most of the time, humans have the capability to understand in the concept of God and believe in Him, or other gods.

    I think modern Christians like to say that without knowing Jesus, people will go to Hell. I do not believe God is that rigid.

    What He hates the most, is those who worship other gods or idols. What He loves the most is when we love Him and each other.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

    The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

    Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

    songofmary.wordpress.com


  3. #103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    If they were truly ignorant of God, then God would see what is in their heart and judge them accordingly. Rarely does it work like that. Most of the time, humans have the capability to understand in the concept of God and believe in Him, or other gods.

    I think modern Christians like to say that without knowing Jesus, people will go to Hell. I do not believe God is that rigid.

    What He hates the most, is those who worship other gods or idols. What He loves the most is when we love Him and each other.
    I'm not talking about someone who is ignorant of God. I'm talking about someone who knows about Christianity, but honestly does not believe that God exists. Do you think God would be against such a person?

  4. #104
    failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni
    Posts
    5,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Octavarium View Post
    I'm not talking about someone who is ignorant of God. I'm talking about someone who knows about Christianity, but honestly does not believe that God exists. Do you think God would be against such a person?

    I think He feels sad about everyone whom He has created who doesn't believe in Him, as their Creator. However, I think God is 'against' those who sin, yes.

    If you had a child who knew about you but refused to acknowledge you, would that not make you sad?
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

    The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

    Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

    songofmary.wordpress.com


  5. #105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    I think He feels sad about everyone whom He has created who doesn't believe in Him, as their Creator. However, I think God is 'against' those who sin, yes.

    If you had a child who knew about you but refused to acknowledge you, would that not make you sad?
    Refusing to acknowledge someone is not the same as believing that that person does not exist. To answer your question, if I had a child who refused to acknowledge me, however sad that might make me, I wouldn't have the right to demand that they love me. If they weren't acknowledging me because I had failed in my responsibilities as a parent, that serves me right. If I had done everything I could for them and they still refused to acknowledge me, I could try to reach out to them if I wanted a relationship, but ultimately you can't demand anyone's love and respect. But if not being loved by someone would make me sad, that just shows that I want/need that person's love and I am, to an extent, dependent on it. So if humans are capable of doing something that makes God sad, that implies that humans are capable of denying God something that he wants/needs, which is inconsistent with the idea of a god who is perfect and independent of his creation.

  6. #106
    Senior Member Zangetshumody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    ILI
    Posts
    472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    This is the No true Scotsman Fallacy. It is a well known logical fallacy.
    Would you not like to furnish me an explanation to go along with that retort? Please, like I'm a 5 year old. Because what you said makes me feel like I'm supposed to understand the logically impossible.
    Escape powerful genjitsu by averting your gaze from the eyes.

  7. #107
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zangetshumody View Post
    Would you not like to furnish me an explanation to go along with that retort? Please, like I'm a 5 year old. Because what you said makes me feel like I'm supposed to understand the logically impossible.
    Google is your friend:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman

    Basically, he's just keying in that in a discussion about what Christians do, you seemed to resort to a, "well, a REAL Christian does <this>" as a way of dodging potential criticisms of Christians and/or basically saying a "real christian" is how YOU have defined it versus someone else's potential definition, despite the fact that lots of self-professed Christians disagree on some doctrinal issues and perspectives.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  8. #108
    Senior Member Zangetshumody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    ILI
    Posts
    472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    Oh, I would agree that other religions are often referring to God whether they realize it or not, but the ideal way of referring to God is with clear consciousness of His Being and His status as our LORD. Wouldn't you agree? Of course the number of names does not matter. This is a complex topic to post about.




    God desires obedience over sacrifice or offerings. ~1 Samuel 15:22

    Your place is to serve God and to please Him. He made you for a purpose. How can you know that purpose if you are cut off from Him? God's Law is not the laws of the universe. Those are the natural laws that the world must obey. We, as God's children, must obey His special Law for us. Otherwise, we are no better, no more special than animals--we are not the higher beings He created us to be--because we are functioning as any other creature would function, in obeisance to natural laws. It's 'natural law' to want to procreate with many sexual partners, but it's not God's Law.
    In the old testament it also talks about there being 3 distinct Godly forms. Something to consider.

    Gen_24:3 And I will make thee swear by the LORD, the God of heaven, and the God of the earth, that thou shalt not take a wife unto my son of the daughters of the Canaanites, among whom I dwell:

    The new testament also gives more description to help full up the forms displayed in the above scripture:
    1Jn 5:7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.
    1Jn 5:8 And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.

    When you marry those 3 scriptures you can really start to see what's what according to my faith.
    Last edited by Zangetshumody; 02-11-2014 at 04:08 PM. Reason: added: "the new testament also gives"...
    Escape powerful genjitsu by averting your gaze from the eyes.

  9. #109
    failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni
    Posts
    5,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Octavarium View Post
    Refusing to acknowledge someone is not the same as believing that that person does not exist. To answer your question, if I had a child who refused to acknowledge me, however sad that might make me, I wouldn't have the right to demand that they love me. If they weren't acknowledging me because I had failed in my responsibilities as a parent, that serves me right. If I had done everything I could for them and they still refused to acknowledge me, I could try to reach out to them if I wanted a relationship, but ultimately you can't demand anyone's love and respect. But if not being loved by someone would make me sad, that just shows that I want/need that person's love and I am, to an extent, dependent on it. So if humans are capable of doing something that makes God sad, that implies that humans are capable of denying God something that he wants/needs, which is inconsistent with the idea of a god who is perfect and independent of his creation.
    Our Creator commands that we love Him, and that we love each other. He does not make us. He wants us to give our love freely to Him, and to each other.

    He does not need anything from us. But He wants our love, and our loyalty, and our devotion.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zangetshumody View Post
    In the old testament it also talks about there being 3 distinct Godly forms. Something to consider.

    Gen_24:3 And I will make thee swear by the LORD, the God of heaven, and the God of the earth, that thou shalt not take a wife unto my son of the daughters of the Canaanites, among whom I dwell:

    The new testament also gives more description to help full up the forms displayed in the above scripture:
    1Jn 5:7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.
    1Jn 5:8 And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.

    When you marry those 3 scriptures you can really start to see what's what according to my faith.
    The Genesis quote does not imply God is more than One entity.

    I like your quotes. They imply the trinity as far as the God the Father's Holy Spirit, the Law from the Prophets, and Christ the Messiah.

    As far as the NT goes, there are a few quotes that imply Jesus is God, but overall that notion was created by the early Christian church, and cemented at the Council of Nicaea in 325 AD. John was very close to Jesus, and was overtaken with his near God-like humanity, which is why his book is flavored that way.

    There is really very little to be gained from believing in the false doctrine that Jesus is God, and very much to be lost.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

    The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

    Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

    songofmary.wordpress.com


  10. #110
    failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni
    Posts
    5,651

    Default The Beginning of Knowledge

    From Solomon, the wisest man that ever lived:

    To know wisdom and instruction,
    To perceive the words of understanding,
    To receive the instruction of wisdom,
    Justice, judgment, and equity;

    To give prudence to the simple,
    To the young man knowledge and discretion-
    A wise man will hear and increase in learning,
    And a man of understanding will attain wise counsel,
    To understand a proverb and an enigma,
    The words of the wise and their riddles,

    The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge,
    But fools despise wisdom and instruction. ~Proverbs 1:2-7



    Interesting how the beginning of knowledge is the fear of the LORD (which is also how 'wisdom' can be defined). Today we would say the beginning of knowledge is understanding science.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

    The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

    Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

    songofmary.wordpress.com


Similar Threads

  1. [MBTItm] The haiku thread...
    By anii in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 01-22-2017, 11:03 PM
  2. The Beer Thread
    By Noel in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 309
    Last Post: 02-03-2010, 12:07 PM
  3. The God in Every Man/Woman
    By mippus in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-04-2008, 03:10 AM
  4. Pot Pies: Food of the Gods?
    By Ivy in forum Home, Garden and Nature
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 08-13-2007, 12:11 PM
  5. The Hundredth Thread
    By Rajah in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-24-2007, 12:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO