User Tag List

First 891011122060 Last

Results 91 to 100 of 873

Thread: The GOD Thread~

  1. #91
    I could do things Hard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe
    Posts
    7,960

    Default

    Honest questions:

    Do you believe that the earth is only ~4000 years old, and subsequently that creationism is correct and evolution is wrong?

    Why do you capitalize "LORD" and "GOD" and the like? I have seen others do this before. I always read it as shouting, but I wonder if there is a different purpose?
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari


  2. #92
    failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni
    Posts
    5,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    Honest questions:

    Do you believe that the earth is only ~4000 years old, and subsequently that creationism is correct and evolution is wrong?

    Why do you capitalize "LORD" and "GOD" and the like? I have seen others do this before. I always read it as shouting, but I wonder if there is a different purpose?
    I am an old earth creationist, which means I believe in the likelihood of the Big Bang, but that God created everything. I have a unique belief that Time came before God, but that is just an educated guess on my part. The Big Bang Theory actually ties in amazingly well with Genesis Chapter 1. I believe God created man, as we exist and as the ancient Hebrews existed, as separate from animals, including apes. There is a missing link because there is no link.

    I capitalize LORD because that is how the Bible does it in reference to God. Otherwise Lord usually refers to Jesus. God is only all caps when I mean it more fully, as in the title of this thread.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

    The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

    Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

    songofmary.wordpress.com


  3. #93
    I could do things Hard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe
    Posts
    7,960

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    I am an old earth creationist, which means I believe in the likelihood of the Big Bang, but that God created everything. I have a unique belief that Time came before God, but that is just an educated guess on my part. The Big Bang Theory actually ties in amazingly well with Genesis Chapter 1. I believe God created man, as we exist and as the ancient Hebrews existed, as separate from animals, including apes. There is a missing link because there is no link.

    I capitalize LORD because that is how the Bible does it in reference to God. Otherwise Lord usually refers to Jesus. God is only all caps when I mean it more fully, as in the title of this thread.
    Ok, thanks. I'll respect the initial purpose of your thread and leave it here.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari


  4. #94
    ndovjtjcaqidthi
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    We are inter-subjective animals, so evidence is what we can share with each other.

    A fantasy, an imagining, an hallucination, that can't be shared with others is not evidence.
    I fear this is where our dialogue must come to it's end, Mole, because I cannot possibly describe to you the colors and textures of the skies, and the seas I see in my dreams. This crushes me.

  5. #95
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    It is wrong to relate to God as one of many deities.
    But that's exactly what you're doing when you say it offends God to be called by another god's name. I've never understood why people who profess to be monotheists but then act like their God hates all the other gods they supposedly don't believe in.

  6. #96
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,771

    Default

    If God is truly benevolent, wouldn't he not punish you for simply not believing in him? I mean sending someone to hell for simply not being Christian seems like an asshole thing to do. Also wouldn't he not care what you called him? Like people sometimes call me the wrong name and I don't correct them, because I don't put much stock in my name. My name is a very minor part of who I am, I just have my name so people can address me, instead of only with her,she,it,female.
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so

  7. #97
    failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni
    Posts
    5,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    But that's exactly what you're doing when you say it offends God to be called by another god's name. I've never understood why people who profess to be monotheists but then act like their God hates all the other gods they supposedly don't believe in.
    I see what you are saying and it is a common debate polytheists often like to have with monotheists.

    But I've read carefully, and the God in the Bible speaks often to the fact that people worship other gods, and that no other gods should come before Him. This doesn't necessarily mean there are other gods, so much as that people believe there are other gods, and they worship them, and they shouldn't.

    Of course, in today's world, our gods are not so mystical anymore, but more material, such as gadgets and addictive substances that we use to try to seek peace.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

    The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

    Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

    songofmary.wordpress.com


  8. #98

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    This is "The GOD Thread" I was pretty clear I was referring to One God and LORD in the OP.

    I think that when God's Law can stand the test of time, it is just another illustration that it is right. It is right because God gave it to Moses. End of story. But Moses was just a man, even though he was a holy man of God. However, if the commandments of God did not serve man, then that would become apparent over time. God's Law has been serving man for about 3300 years now! Yes, Jesus changed it a bit, but overall it's still the best rule book we have to knowing how to serve God best.
    Why do you think that, if it can stand the test of time, that makes it right? Just to be absolutely clear, are you saying that, if it didn't come from God, it wouldn't have stood the test of time? And what criteria are you using to judge whether the laws "serve man"?

  9. #99
    failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni
    Posts
    5,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    If God is truly benevolent, wouldn't he not punish you for simply not believing in him? I mean sending someone to hell for simply not being Christian seems like an asshole thing to do. Also wouldn't he not care what you called him? Like people sometimes call me the wrong name and I don't correct them, because I don't put much stock in my name. My name is a very minor part of who I am, I just have my name so people can address me, instead of only with her,she,it,female.
    I believe Hell exists on earth, and people who go 'there' end up in a perpetual cycle of repetition of pain which they have brought on themselves by resisting to submit to God. This might manifest as coming back as a tortured animal, an abused child, or an unhappy businessman.

    God is truly benevolent, but He expects something in return. He expects your respect and hopes for your love. Acknowledging Christ's sacrifice by knowing we are never going to be worthy enough to come before the King in Heaven stops this cycle of repetition, and we can finally reside in Heaven with Him, where our soul really belongs. If someone does not know about Christ, I believe God has the ability to see their heart and know whether He wishes them to go to Heaven or repeat Hell. Sometimes, God sends Heavenly missionaries out into the world to do His work as well, and these manifest as angels, or workers or warriors of God. They haven't done anything wrong to be here, but have chosen [from Heaven] to serve Him in this way.

    Calling God a name by using beauty and reverence is a worshipful act. If you don't feel worshipful, then you won't really care what you refer to Him by, or how you refer to Him.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

    The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

    Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

    songofmary.wordpress.com


  10. #100
    failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni
    Posts
    5,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Octavarium View Post
    Why do you think that, if it can stand the test of time, that makes it right? Just to be absolutely clear, are you saying that, if it didn't come from God, it wouldn't have stood the test of time? And what criteria are you using to judge whether the laws "serve man"?
    Yes. Pretty much. I think the Law proves itself over time. God is with those who love and worship Him, and He is against those who don't.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

    The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

    Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

    songofmary.wordpress.com


Similar Threads

  1. [MBTItm] The haiku thread...
    By anii in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 01-22-2017, 11:03 PM
  2. The Beer Thread
    By Noel in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 309
    Last Post: 02-03-2010, 12:07 PM
  3. The God in Every Man/Woman
    By mippus in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-04-2008, 03:10 AM
  4. Pot Pies: Food of the Gods?
    By Ivy in forum Home, Garden and Nature
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 08-13-2007, 12:11 PM
  5. The Hundredth Thread
    By Rajah in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-24-2007, 12:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO