User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    yupp

Default I believe none of our thoughts are unique

I believe that whatever you're thinking, have thought, or will think someone has,is, or will have that same thought at some point in time. So how does this make you feel? to learn that perhaps your thoughts aren't solely yours? do you feel like you need to race to get your thoughts out into the world before the other person? or do you think it's fine because more than likely you'll never meet the people you've shared 90% of your thoughts with?
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Are you talking about creative ideas? Or just the thoughts people tend to have on a daily basis?

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Octavarium View Post
    Are you talking about creative ideas? Or just the thoughts people tend to have on a daily basis?
    both
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    yupp

I wonder if people can't agree that possibly their thoughts aren't completely original? I don't really care, because sometimes you have a "mind meld" which awesome, and sometimes the thought is in chinese. and I don't know chinese
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

Ginkgo

I think most of our thoughts are just highly specific iterations of the essence of thought itself. They are so highly specific, contextual, and outlined by general ignorance that their lack of originality eludes us.

I also think that even if my prior thought isn't true, then we ought to at least reconsider the historical notion of originality. The thinkers and artists we most idolize likely had counterparts who had similar thoughts - thoughts that were erased or overlooked by time. Only by chance do we believe some historical characters to be pioneers.

The idea that our thoughts aren't novel and ego-based seems to be very unpopular, but it's probably true.

I should also add that I don't think that anything is unique aside from the totality of existence itself, as a whole.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    I think most of our thoughts are just highly specific iterations of the essence of thought itself. They are so highly specific, contextual, and outlined by general ignorance that their lack of originality eludes us.

I also think that even if my prior thought isn't true, then we ought to at least reconsider the historical notion of originality. The thinkers and artists we most idolize likely had counterparts who had similar thoughts - thoughts that were erased or overlooked by time. Only by chance do we believe some historical characters to be pioneers.

The idea that our thoughts aren't novel and ego-based seems to be very unpopular, but it's probably true.

I should also add that I don't think that anything is unique aside from the totality of existence itself, as a whole.
    Yes
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    ?
    Enneagram
    ?
    Socionics
    ?

It's true for most of our thoughts. I believe some of our thoughts and creative ideas are completely unique. Not your everyday thoughts but more abstract ones; about art or your dreams. I doubt anyone thought of Star Wars before George Lucas, about Lord of the Rings before Tolkien or about Xenomorph before H.R Giger. You can take a ideas from different mythologies, idealogies combine them with your imagination and you will get a thought that is hard to replicate. Some combinations of already established themes may be known to a limited number of minds(each one gets it's own input of already created ideas), plus each mind can create a new thought.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by JustAMind View Post
    It's true for most of our thoughts. I believe some of our thoughts and creative ideas are completely unique. Not your everyday thoughts but more abstract ones; about art or your dreams. I doubt anyone thought of Star Wars before George Lucas, about Lord of the Rings before Tolkien or about Xenomorph before H.R Giger. You can take a ideas from different mythologies, idealogies combine them with your imagination and you will get a thought that is hard to replicate. Some combinations of already established themes may be known to a limited number of minds(each one gets it's own input of already created ideas), plus each mind can create a new thought.
    I disagree, I believe before they got those thoughts in print, someone else had thought them. and while the other person was like meh whatever, George Lucas and Tolkien were the ones who profitted. I'm not saying they plagerized, because they didn't know someone else had those same thoughts
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    yupp

Ok I was thinking, thoughts have to begin somewhere, but i don't think the original thinker of those thoughts are likely to be the ones who profit off those thoughts. generally 99.9% aren't original.

And before you start accusing me to be a 4, let me just say that I doubt my thoughts are original or special. I believe someone else has had my thoughts
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    ?
    Enneagram
    ?
    Socionics
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I disagree, I believe before they got those thoughts in print, someone else had thought them. and while the other person was like meh whatever, George Lucas and Tolkien were the ones who profitted. I'm not saying they plagerized, because they didn't know someone else had those same thoughts
    As I view it; they have used unoriginal elements to come up with original concept. Just like painters they have used known colors to create an original painting. But how similar in your opinion two things must be to be called the same idea/thought?